Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pick advice?

Default Pick advice?

Haven't been playing long, but I've been playing about every chance I can get since I started. So, naturally, I'm ready to start blaming outside sources for my lack of ability! Only joking, but I would like some advice on if I should change the pick that I'm using. At the moment I'm using the picks that came in the case of my used mandolin. They're dunlop and 1.14 mm. They're made of a medium-flimsy sort of plastic. I just don't feel like they move through the strings well. This could totally be me, but I have to grip the pick much harder than I feel like I should to move through the strings well. It can't be good to tense up that much, but when I release my death grip I feel like the pick get's stuck on the strings and either makes me miss my next pick-stroke, or just gives me a bad tone. I'm basically asking if this is my fault or if I need a new pick, and I know it could totally just be me so don't worry about offending me. Thank you!
    Just me and my Eastman MD315!
    And we're hungry to learn

Default Re: Pick advice?

I would try some other picks that are 1.3-1.5mm and made of a stiffer plastic.
    I am fond of the Dunlop Primetone
    Lots of folks like the triangle shaped ones with a grippy surface:
    https://www.jimdunlop.com/product/51...t=&ecCategory=

or smooth:

I like the semi-round smooth though.

You can also get them on amazon or sometimes at your local retailer.

It is worth it to try a bunch of different ones until you find what you like.

Another great resource is JT's Picks. You might try a sample pack of type 2 and type 3. Or try them all to see what works best for you:
    http://jtspix.com/buy.html

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to colorado_al For This Useful Post:

Registered User Michael Neverisky's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ImTheMan_do View Post
    ... I have to grip the pick much harder than I feel like I should to move through the strings well. It can't be good to tense up that much...
    It is not good, I agree.

Pick material, shape, bevel... all make a difference. So, yes, experiment. There are many types of picks and twice as many opinions about which is best! Technique also should be considered, by which I mean the angle of the pick to the string. If you experiment with the various ways you can subtly change that angle you will likely find that one approach glides over the strings better than another.

Dunlop prime tones 1.3

You could also get on the list for the pick sampler.
    "It doesn't matter how much you invest in your instrument until you invest in you and your ability..."

Kentucky KM-150
    Eastman MD-404
    Eastman MD-305
    Morgan Monroe MFM-300 (passed on to a new player)
    Rover RM-75

Do you play other string instruments? If so you might have some idea what type of pick you like. Otherwise try many shapes and thicknesses. This can be a long term endeavor. Many of us have spent years agonizing over pick qualities before settling on our choices. I tried a multitude of picks before I settled on a good old medium Fender 346 triangle. There is a pick sampler floating around, there's a thread for it if you search. Get your name on the mailing list and in time it will get to you. It has dozens of different picks and can really give you some perspective on the variables.
    We are the music makers,
    And we are the dreamers of dreams

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

IMO the best "pick" advice is in how you use whatever pick you choose. Loose grip, loose fingers and loose wrist are what you want to have when playing. If you don't drop your pick occasionally you are likely holding it too tightly. The tension of doing that is both a long term and short term problem. Here's an example to explain my point. Grab your instrument and pick. Use your usual grip to play a G-C-D chord change. Then tighten your grip and do the same thing. Feel the difference in added tension in your picking hand. Now loosen your grip slightly to a point looser than the point of grip where you normally play. You should feel that tension release from your hand and wrist. Adding to that plucking the string with the pick slightly angled and not completely flat will help the pick glide better over the strings. Especially when used in tremolo passages.
    Insofar as a specific pic ….. well as pointed out above. That is a hunt for your personal choice. In picks there are three main choices to make shape , material and thickness. You can add to that bevel which I count as part of shape. There are a great many options to choose from going in cost to a few cents to a ridiculous number of dollars …. .35$ to 35.00$. So start shopping … but loose fingers grip and wrist come first. R/
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...

8. The following members say thank you to UsuallyPickin for this post:

I like the shape of Fender's 346 picks, whether from them or other companies

(heavy you can get by the dozen, X Heavy you have to order 6 dozen ,

but that's the cost of one Blue Chip.. The CT is a 346 shape ..

I like that it's big enough to hold onto .. with a looser grip.

writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ImTheMan_do View Post
    I have to grip the pick much harder than I feel like I should to move through the strings well.
    Sharon Gilchrist (I do like her instruction videos) speaks of playing the outer 'face' of the string - not allowing the pick edge to dip or dig too deeply into the strings. I worked on this with open string exercises until I was able to get good volume. It allows for a light pick grip without pick twist if you keep it on plane. Now my pick flops a bit and it does feel like I might loose it sometimes. The thought image of playing the 'face of the strings' also improved my tremolo. YMMV

11. The following members say thank you to Mark Wilson for this post:

RodCH 

Blog Entries

One of the advantages of a jam is you can often borrow other's picks to see if you are going to like them at all. Its well worth a try for zero-ing in on what you like.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Phase one, take $10 into a good shop that at least has a mandolin or two, try and buy a variety of picks from 1.2 to 1.8 and one really thick pick just to try.

Phase two, pick one or two from the above and order the shape and thickness of those from a moderate priced pick co. like Wegen

Phase three, take the one you like the best and order the Blue Chip that matches up. You are going to eventually anyway.

Phase four, Find some sort of small parts box used to hold screws and such, so you can store all those picks you will never use.

Phase five, sell or keep the Blue Chip as you see fit. If you keep it you will need to fashion some sort of box or other container worthy of storing it. A sterling silver engraved cigarette holder, or a Faberge egg, something worthy of it's awesomeness.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Br1ck For This Useful Post:

I add, getting a dozen or so picks allows some freedom, at low cost,

you can reshape them with fingernail files and clippers , to experiment with various shapes....
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

+1 Experiment with all kinds of picks. Then, select the one you like, realizing that your favorite choice may well change in the future. And sooner or later, you will try a BlueChip pick, preferably one in roughly the same shape and thickness as a pick that you've already discovered that you like. The chances are pretty good, at least statistically speaking, that you will prefer this BlueChip pick. You will buy it and be very happy with it. You may or may not not grumble about the price. You will continue to read endless threads on the MC about pick preferences, but with a greater sense of detachment!

17. The following members say thank you to sblock for this post:

RodCH 

Get the two-pack($15 from Elderly)of Wegen 2.0mm(M200);that's the mandolin players shape of Wegen. Chances are the 2mm
    will never be too thin. Always get the white Wegens;the black ones have too dark a tone.

Then,work your way thinner if needs be until you find your Wegen thickness. You can decide on holy or unholy later.

Bluechip is a nice pick;but,why they won't make it in the rounder Wegenese shape I dunno.

The above advice should save you years of trial and error;and,wondering what the heck to do with hundreds of old picks.

There's a traveling pick sampler that floats around the Cafe membership. That might give you a bunch of different picks to try. I think the Wegen triangle picks are nice, and they won't break the bank.

Someone else has commented on shape but I'll chime in again about it - are you using a teardrop shaped pick or another shape that has pointy ends? If so maybe try a pick with more rounded ends or try playing with the "shoulder" end of a teardrop pick - I find rounded ends glide through the strings a lot easier.
    2018 Girouard Concert oval A
    2015 JP "Whitechapel" tenor banjo
    2018 Frank Tate tenor guitar
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

21. The following members say thank you to Jill McAuley for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jill McAuley View Post
    Someone else has commented on shape but I'll chime in again about it - are you using a teardrop shaped pick or another shape that has pointy ends? If so maybe try a pick with more rounded ends or try playing with the "shoulder" end of a teardrop pick - I find rounded ends glide through the strings a lot easier.
    And I suggest also trying the opposite - make sure you have a stiff, not TOO thick pick with a pointed tip.

"Gliding" over strings is not the same sound as actually plucking the strings.

If you should want to try Blue Chip, get a TAD. With one rounded tip. It's like getting two picks in one. I have a TAD 1R 60.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

You are a candidate for the pick sampler. I found it very helpful to narrow in on the shape, thickness and size that works for me.

In terms of getting your pick stuck in the strings, sometimes neck angle/pick angle just needs a tweak. I find when my pick angle is close to parallel to the strings, I have a heck of a time.

I second B381. Different mandolins require different picks, so you have to try a bunch to see what you like. You may even find that you like different picks on different days.

I also have to hold the pick much more firmly than everybody says you should to get a decent tone. Whatever mistake you are making, we are probably doing the same thing.

26. The following members say thank you to RodCH for this post:

In response to Br1ck I have one rounded Blue Chip and don't like it at all. I suggest CT55. But I think everybody is different.

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

A lot of threads pop up like this one - all the time - and for the most part, we never get tired of talking about accessories. But here's the best advice I think I can possibly offer ...

Whatever you do, don't opt for someone's advice here and just buy another pick. Instead, begin a new journey of testing out many, many different picks. It is a fairly inexpensive luxury, and IMO it is probably the only way you'll ever come to find your own preferences. You don't need a really thick pick unless you, yourself, prefer a really thick pick (personally, I prefer stiff picks in the 1.2 mm range). You don't need a rounded pick unless you, yourself, prefer rounded picks. Pointy picks have a cool, crisp plucking sound that is different from rounded picks.

My advice is to try them all. Try different materials. Try different shapes. Try different points.
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    ----------------------------------
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

----------------------------------
    HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mark Gunter For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Gunter View Post
    A lot of threads pop up like this one - all the time - and for the most part, we never get tired of talking about accessories. But here's the best advice I think I can possibly offer ...

Whatever you do, don't opt for someone's advice here and just buy another pick. Instead, begin a new journey of testing out many, many different picks. It is a fairly inexpensive luxury, and IMO it is probably the only way you'll ever come to find your own preferences. You don't need a really thick pick unless you, yourself, prefer a really thick pick (personally, I prefer stiff picks in the 1.2 mm range). You don't need a rounded pick unless you, yourself, prefer rounded picks. Pointy picks have a cool, crisp plucking sound that is different from rounded picks.

My advice is to try them all. Try different materials. Try different shapes. Try different points.
    Kind of like my signature...LOL

One thing I've learned about mandolins is that they all respond differently to different picks so if you buy it and you don't like the tone, try a different pick.
    I can play the same mando with different picks and every one sounds completely different. What a fickle thing they are.
    "It doesn't matter how much you invest in your instrument until you invest in you and your ability..."

Kentucky KM-150
    Eastman MD-404
    Eastman MD-305
    Morgan Monroe MFM-300 (passed on to a new player)
    Rover RM-75

Every time I think that I've finally settled on my "forever" pick and string choices, I end up stumbling on something different that intrigues me. It's been that way for a dozen years now. The realization is setting in that the process never ends. But at least it's pretty cheap experimentation.
    Mitch Russell

32. The following members say thank you to onassis for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jill McAuley View Post
    I agree with DavidKos, I really can't stand rounded picks - my first mando picks were Golden Gates, and I hated them, so I pulled one of my old guitar picks and it was better, so I started experimenting - and ended up with my favorites being 0.7 - 0.8mm more or less teardrop shaped, my Blue Chip preference is TD 35 or TD 40. I suggest the Pick Sampler too, there are (reportedly) a very wide variety in there, you try them and pass it on, having gotten an idea of what you would like. I would also add whenever I get my act together I will post an ad of all the picks I have purchased and really don't like. But it is a cheap way of experimenting with mandolin sound. They are MUCH more responsive to pick differences than guitars.

34. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to LadysSolo For This Useful Post:

Thanks guys, this has given me and most likely quite a few others a lot to consider!
    Just me and my Eastman MD315!
    And we're hungry to learn