Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pick advice?

Default Re: Pick advice?

Quote Originally Posted by LadysSolo View Post
    I agree with DavidKos, I really can't stand rounded picks ………………. ended up with my favorites being 0.7 - 0.8mm more or less teardrop shaped, my Blue Chip preference is TD 35 or TD 40.
    I tend to agree with this. I've TRIED to like rounder picks, but I'm also a guitar player and find that I will MISS certain notes due to the point being gone, kind of like having a teardrop pick that is worn out...
    1933 Gibson A-00 (was Scotty Stoneman's)
    2003 Gibson J-45RW (ebony)
    2017 Gibson J-15

The Murph Channel
    http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Murphy Slaw For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by LadysSolo View Post
    I agree with DavidKos, I really can't stand rounded picks - my first mando picks were Golden Gates, and I hated them, so I pulled one of my old guitar picks and it was better, so I started experimenting - and ended up with my favorites being 0.7 - 0.8mm more or less teardrop shaped, my Blue Chip preference is TD 35 or TD 40. I suggest the Pick Sampler too, there are (reportedly) a very wide variety in there, you try them and pass it on, having gotten an idea of what you would like. I would also add whenever I get my act together I will post an ad of all the picks I have purchased and really don't like. But it is a cheap way of experimenting with mandolin sound. They are MUCH more responsive to pick differences than guitars.
    Great, more power to your elbow as we'd say in Ireland - I simply suggested it to the OP in the event THEY are using the pointy end of the pick and might end up being like myself, one of the great unwashed who prefer a rounded pick - no one knows until they try, right?
    2018 Girouard Concert oval A
    2015 JP "Whitechapel" tenor banjo
    2018 Frank Tate tenor guitar
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

4. The following members say thank you to Jill McAuley for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jill McAuley View Post
    Great, more power to your elbow as we'd say in Ireland - I simply suggested it to the OP in the event THEY are using the pointy end of the pick and might end up being like myself, one of the great unwashed who prefer a rounded pick - no one knows until they try, right?
    I also like the rounded pick. There are times I will use the pointy part, but prefer the rounded. I also don't like the thick 2mm pick, 1mm is plenty thick and less works fine as long as it is stiff. That being said it will MOST definitely depend on your mandolin. If it is a dark sounding mandolin you may like a lighter more pointy pick for sound, but if it is a bright sounding mandolin you may prefer a rounded thicker pick. Your ear will make a difference about what you like too, and as Jill says, "I like the way the rounded pick glides thru the strings", I also like that. If you are using a pickup, a rounded pick tames and warms the sound. Playing lightly with a rounded pick works wonders for a plugged in mandolin. There must be more opinions, but at the moment I can't think of them.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pops1 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jill McAuley View Post
    Unwashed? You round pick users are in plenty good high-class company!

Quote Originally Posted by pops1 View Post
    I also like the rounded pick. There are times I will use the pointy part, but prefer the rounded. I also don't like the thick 2mm pick, 1mm is plenty thick and less works fine as long as it is stiff. That being said it will MOST definitely depend on your mandolin. If it is a dark sounding mandolin you may like a lighter more pointy pick for sound, but if it is a bright sounding mandolin you may prefer a rounded thicker pick. Your ear will make a difference about what you like too, and as Jill says, "I like the way the rounded pick glides thru the strings", I also like that. If you are using a pickup, a rounded pick tames and warms the sound. Playing lightly with a rounded pick works wonders for a plugged in mandolin. There must be more opinions, but at the moment I can't think of them.
    So far that is the other issue - many players prefer a "warmer" tone that the rounded tip of a pick makes easier.

I've learned that what I like and what works for me is not always - often definitely not - what works for many other players.

8. The following members say thank you to DavidKOS for this post:

My pick preference, like my string preference, seems to be ever evolving. For years I've used picks with a round-ish point (BC TAD 60 3R), but then I bought an EML large triangle. Point-wise, in between the normal BC and the R. I've ended up using it as my main pick for the last few months. The combo of the material and the point make it possible for me to get a tone that I like without having to play very hard. I've now gotten a BC CT55 to see how an even pointier point works for me. Result - sometimes I like it, sometimes I don't. When my ear is in the mood for more high frequencies, I really enjoy it.

For me, the plus of pointier picks has been easier volume. Now I'm working on my technique to get a tone that I like to go along with that volume, which for me means more forward angle on the pick and playing a little farther up on the florida area.
    Mitch Russell

Quote Originally Posted by DavidKOS View Post
    Unwashed? You round pick users are in plenty good high-class company!

So far that is the other issue - many players prefer a "warmer" tone that the rounded tip of a pick makes easier.

I've learned that what I like and what works for me is not always - often definitely not - what works for many other players.
    That us truly the whole thing , you say tomato I say tomoto

11. The following members say thank you to pops1 for this post:

Has anyone ever settled on one pick? Closest I've come is one BC, and three thicknesses of the Wegen Dipper. But I'm still trying different picks all the time. Prime tone next. And whatever Thiele is using.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

13. The following members say thank you to Br1ck for this post:

I'm close, I've only got 10 different picks in front of me and am playing an eleventh. All different makes, sizes and thicknesses. No 2 of same brand/shape.

So I'm real close, except my Blue Chips aren't out.
    Not all the clams are at the beach

Arrow Manouche
    Arrow Jazzbo
    Arrow G
    Clark 2 point
    Gibson F5L
    Gibson A-4
    Ratliff CountryBoy A

Quote Originally Posted by ImTheMan_do View Post
    Haven't been playing long, but I've been playing about every chance I can get since I started. So, naturally, I'm ready to start blaming outside sources for my lack of ability! Only joking, but I would like some advice on if I should change the pick that I'm using. At the moment I'm using the picks that came in the case of my used mandolin. They're dunlop and 1.14 mm. They're made of a medium-flimsy sort of plastic. I just don't feel like they move through the strings well. This could totally be me, but I have to grip the pick much harder than I feel like I should to move through the strings well. It can't be good to tense up that much, but when I release my death grip I feel like the pick get's stuck on the strings and either makes me miss my next pick-stroke, or just gives me a bad tone. I'm basically asking if this is my fault or if I need a new pick, and I know it could totally just be me so don't worry about offending me. Thank you!
    Dunlap 207

16. The following members say thank you to Philsf51 for this post:

I've been using a $35 Blue Chip CT55 for a couple of years and do like it a lot, but a few weeks ago I bought three of the Dunlop Prime Tone semi-round grippy 1.3mm picks (about $3 each) and am really liking both the picks as well as the lower cost that lets me keep one on the mandolin, one in the case, and one on my key chain. (Yes, I could do that with the Blue Chip if I bought two more, but that would require more than I'd care to spend for picks, lol.) Now I just need to play long enough to see if the Prime Tones get rough edges like most of the other picks I've tried, but which doesn't happen with the Blue Chip pick.
    Doug Brock
    2018 Kimble 2 point (#259), Eastman MD315, Eastman MDA315, some guitars, banjos, and fiddles

Quote Originally Posted by flatpicknut View Post
    I've been using a $35 Blue Chip CT55 for a couple of years and do like it a lot, but a few weeks ago I bought three of the Dunlop Prime Tone semi-round grippy 1.3mm picks (about $3 each) and am really liking both the picks as well as the lower cost that lets me keep one on the mandolin, one in the case, and one on my key chain. (Yes, I could do that with the Blue Chip if I bought two more, but that would require more than I'd care to spend for picks, lol.) Now I just need to play long enough to see if the Prime Tones get rough edges like most of the other picks I've tried, but which doesn't happen with the Blue Chip pick.
    I actually prefer the Dunlop Primetone semi round to the Blue Chip I have. Primetones seem to last quite a while for me too.

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_al View Post
    Primetones seem to last quite a while for me too.
    That's good to hear. Thanks!
    Doug Brock
    2018 Kimble 2 point (#259), Eastman MD315, Eastman MDA315, some guitars, banjos, and fiddles

Quote Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
    Has anyone ever settled on one pick? Closest I've come is one BC, and three thicknesses of the Wegen Dipper. But I'm still trying different picks all the time. Prime tone next. And whatever Thiele is using.
    Yes. Dunlop Primetone 1.4, which I get 3 for $5 at my local music store. I had the store order the Dunlops and keep them in stock for me. Support your local music store. Support your local musicians. I don't care what Thile uses.

Website FYI, NFI on my part.
    https://www.amazon.com/Dunlop-Primet.../dp/B00JB4WBOE
    "Those who know don't have the words to tell, and the ones with the words don't know so well." - Bruce Cockburn

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

Nope. But lately I've been grooving on only four, all large triangles. The Wegen 1.2 for a darker tone, and the JTPix, Cool Pick, and Fender medium for brighter tones. I still like the Primetone and haven't pulled the trigger on BC, though I like them (pick sampler).

And whatever Thiele is using.
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    ----------------------------------
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

----------------------------------
    HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

Try the Dunlop Gator Grip 2.0mm (black) picks, they are very nice and inexpensive.

At the low $ end, i like Dunlop Ultex and Clayton Ultem, same material but different bevels, Ultex has a nicer bevel.

Higher end, Gravity gold picks and these from Hense, both around $20 and you can file with a diamond file and finish 600 sandpaper to get whatever point/bevel https://artisanguitars.com/hense-cre...-14mm-id-11023
    Kentucky km900
    Yamaha piano, clarinet, violin; generic cello;
    a pedal steel (highly recommended); banjo, dobro don't get played much cause i'm considerate ;}

Shopping/monitoring prices: vibraphone/marimbas, rhodes, synths, Yamaha brass and double reeds

24. The following members say thank you to gtani7 for this post:

I have. For a number of years I went pick-to-pick with favorites remaining for a few weeks or months before moving on. The favorite that lasted the longest was my BC. But then I discovered Snark picks and really went for their Sigmund Freud's Celluloids. Disregard the strange names they use, these picks do not seem to be celluloid and certainly have nothing to do with psychology. I have also tried their Teddy's Neo Tortoise and they seem to be made of a very similar material.

I like the .88 mm, which seem to play like a thicker pick than that. Both types have some strange grippy stuff bonded to one side. To my mind, these are good, cheap picks and they are now all I use regardless which instrument I am playing (except my piano).

Since these don't get mentioned much here, it could be that not many of us have tried them. It could also be that nobody else really likes them. Maybe only the introverts among us like them! Who knows? They are cheap and worth a try, though, and have become the only pick I use.
    Purr more, hiss less. Barn Cat Mandolins Photo Album

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Clark View Post
    I have. For a number of years I went pick-to-pick with favorites remaining for a few weeks or months before moving on. The favorite that lasted the longest was my BC. But then I discovered Snark picks and really went for their Sigmund Freud's Celluloids. Disregard the strange names they use, these picks do not seem to be celluloid and certainly have nothing to do with psychology. I have also tried their Teddy's Neo Tortoise and they seem to be made of a very similar material.

I like the .88 mm, which seem to play like a thicker pick than that. Both types have some strange grippy stuff bonded to one side. To my mind, these are good, cheap picks and they are now all I use regardless which instrument I am playing (except my piano).

Since these don't get mentioned much here, it could be that not many of us have tried them. It could also be that nobody else really likes them. Maybe only the introverts among us like them! Who knows? They are cheap and worth a try, though, and have become the only pick I use.
    I've used Snark picks, they aren't bad but are (to my ears) similar in sound on my mandolins to Fender picks, and Fender picks are not bad but nothing special. I recently bought a bunch of picks to try again, among them I bought some Ultem picks, the 0.71mm are the closest I have found to the Blue Chip sound. I also bought some in 0.96mm, didn't like those as well as the 0.71mm. You just have to find what works with your playing style on your mandolins.

My favorite pick at this point is the Dunlop Gator Grip 2.0mm black pick. Sounds great!

I settled on one about 20 yeas ago; it is a triangle shell pick. I've tried all kinds and nothing, in my mind, sounds as good as the shell.

Worlds ok-ist mando playr Zach Wilson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ImTheMan_do View Post
    Haven't been playing long, but I've been playing about every chance I can get since I started. So, naturally, I'm ready to start blaming outside sources for my lack of ability! Only joking, but I would like some advice on if I should change the pick that I'm using. At the moment I'm using the picks that came in the case of my used mandolin. They're dunlop and 1.14 mm. They're made of a medium-flimsy sort of plastic. I just don't feel like they move through the strings well. This could totally be me, but I have to grip the pick much harder than I feel like I should to move through the strings well. It can't be good to tense up that much, but when I release my death grip I feel like the pick get's stuck on the strings and either makes me miss my next pick-stroke, or just gives me a bad tone. I'm basically asking if this is my fault or if I need a new pick, and I know it could totally just be me so don't worry about offending me. Thank you!
    Picks are fun! Trying out different sizes, shapes and materials can help you find the sound or tone (bright or dark) and volume you want. As you can see in the thread, everyone has a favorite and some of us have a couple we like that we rotate through.

However, with any pick you're using I would suggest loosening your grip. It will help with you be more efficient and your playing ergonomics will be better. Go nice and slow. Keep it easy/relaxed and keep picking!

Now, on to what I like in a...

It depends on what I'm playing and what I want to hear. I use Wegen TF120, BCct55, Vpicks Freakishly large round, Dawg, Dunlop Prime Tones (triangles), Golden Gate, a couple Horn and Bone picks in multiple shapes and sizes, Fender TruShell, Gravity, Timber Tones, and a mentionless pick that I did not buy.

I have been a round pick user for, well, a long time. Lately because of hand issues I have been using a triangle Wegen. I am liking the sound of the point, but also notice that it sounds totally different if you grip close to the point, than it does when you expose 1/2" of pick. Looseness and tightness make difference, but not as much as how much pick is showing. To my ears anyway.

31. The following members say thank you to pops1 for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Denny Gies View Post
    I settled on one about 20 yeas ago; it is a triangle shell pick. I've tried all kinds and nothing, in my mind, sounds as good as the shell.
    Extolling the perceived virtues, on your part, of flatpicks made from endangered species does little to contribute to any modern discussion of "pick advice," the topic of this thread. In my opinion, folks should not be using these picks, nor should they be doing anything to encourage their fellow musicians to use them, either. Also, according to MC guidelines, you risk getting an otherwise useful thread closed down.

From the MC Forum Guidelines: "Posts dealing in the sale or transfer of tortoise-shell products protected by the 1973 Endangered Species act are not allowed and will be removed. This includes picks made from 'antique' shells. The purpose of this forum is the discussion of music, not the correctness or incorrectness of this issue. Discussions that start or end up on this topic are subject to being closed at the moderator's discretion."

Worlds ok-ist mando playr Zach Wilson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sblock View Post
    Extolling the perceived virtues, on your part, of flatpicks made from endangered species does little to contribute to any modern discussion of "pick advice," the topic of this thread. In my opinion, folks should not be using these picks, nor should they be doing anything to encourage their fellow musicians to use them, either. Also, according to MC guidelines, you risk getting an otherwise useful thread closed down.

From the MC Forum Guidelines: "Posts dealing in the sale or transfer of tortoise-shell products protected by the 1973 Endangered Species act are not allowed and will be removed. This includes picks made from 'antique' shells. The purpose of this forum is the discussion of music, not the correctness or incorrectness of this issue. Discussions that start or end up on this topic are subject to being closed at the moderator's discretion."
    You're right and I am sorry for my comments...

"...and a mentionless pick that I did not buy.".

If there was a way to remove it I would but it seems the edit function is only open for so long.

Zach

34. The following members say thank you to Zach Wilson for this post:

sblock