Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wegen Pick

Blog Entries

Default Re: Wegen Pick

Getting excellent diy results rounding or beveling the edge of a pick is easier than changing strings.
    I use a 'tropical-shine' 4 way nail file/buffer purchased at beauty aid stores

Blog Entries

I wear out Wegens. (I use the TF-140s.) The tip gets rounded and at a certain point it's not as... accurate I guess is the best word... as when they're new. Admittedly it takes a couple years.

I have noticed a rounding on the tip of my BC CT55 as well. It seems to wear at about the same rate as the Wegens. Given the price difference I'll probably stick to the Wegens in the long term.

Daniel

Quote Originally Posted by mandobassman View Post
    I’ll be the one to provide the negative review here. I have owned and tried various models of Wegen picks. I love the material and the variety of shapes and thicknesses available. What I don’t like is that a rounded edge ( no bevel) is not a standard option. Personally, I hate what the bevel does to the tone, especially on the unwound strings. I find it makes the tone much brighter and gives the sound a “hard” edge to it. It seems to strip away all of the overtones and only leaves a hard fundamental note. I find this to be the case with all beveled picks, not just Wegen. I ordered a TF-140 from Janet Davis Music several years ago but I wanted one without a bevel. It took 7 weeks to get and it was a pain. On top of that, since it was considered a “special order” Wegen doubled the price, even though not bevelling it removes a step of the production. Really a ripoff. I will say though, the one I ordered was a great sounding pick and I used it for more than seven years. It had virtually no wear at all after all of that use. I would probably use Wegen picks more often if he offered a rounded edge as a option without it being a special order.
    That’s weird. I ordered a custom TF-140 with one rounded point, and he charged like $18 shipped for one with and one without holes.
    Soliver arm rested and Tone-Garded Northfield Model M with D’Addario NB 11.5-41, picked with a Wegen Bluegrass 1.4

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Wilson View Post
    Getting excellent diy results rounding or beveling the edge of a pick is easier than changing strings.
    Not without changing the shape and/or size of the pick. In order to remove a bevel, you need to remove a significant amount of the edge.
    Larry Hunsberger

2013 J Bovier A5 Special w/ToneGard
    D'Addario FW-74 flatwound strings
    1909 Weymann&Sons bowlback
    1919 Weymann&Sons mandolute
    Ibanez PF5
    1993 Oriente HO-20 hybrid double bass
    3/4 guitar converted to octave mandolin

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Bowsman View Post
    That’s weird. I ordered a custom TF-140 with one rounded point, and he charged like $18 shipped for one with and one without holes.
    I was charged $30 for two. Exactly twice the normal price for two.
    Larry Hunsberger

Ibanez PF5

What a bunch of fickle people we are, myself included. A seven dollar pick lasting only two years, horrors, and a lot of extra trouble for only seven years use, egads! Meanwhile we drop an extra three grand for full binding.

My gripe with Wegens is I have to cross hatch the pick with a razor blade to improve the grip. Then it looks dirty after a few month's use.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

7. The following members say thank you to Br1ck for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
    What a bunch of fickle people we are, myself included. A seven dollar pick lasting only two years, horrors, and a lot of extra trouble for only seven years use, egads! Meanwhile we drop an extra three grand for full binding.

My gripe with Wegens is I have to cross hatch the pick with a razor blade to improve the grip. Then it looks dirty after a few month's use.
    Not being fickle at all. It was well worth the cost. My beef was that he was doubling the normal price because by not creating the bevel it was eliminating one step of the process. Normally you charge more money for extra labor, not less labor.
    Larry Hunsberger

Ibanez PF5

9. The following members say thank you to mandobassman for this post:

Peace. Love. Mandolin. Gelsenbury's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Nestlerode View Post
    I have noticed a rounding on the tip of my BC CT55 as well. It seems to wear at about the same rate as the Wegens. Given the price difference I'll probably stick to the Wegens in the long term.
    Daniel, have you tried the picks from Gravity and Hawk yet? Those two makers are my favourites at the moment.

I've only tried one Wegen pick, and I think it was the wrong shape for me. I don't get along with round picks.