Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: recorders

Default recorders

I have an H2 Zoom recorder that I find not easy to work. Can anyone recommend a recorder they think is easy to operate? OR...is it that I don't do well w. technology.

Any recorder suggestions are welcomed.
    Nick

Default Re: recorders

https://tascam.com/us/product/dr-05/top

This recorder has been recommended to me. I plan on Santa to bring it to me.

Hey Nick,

I have an H2 I use all the time. What do you find difficult about it? Maybe I can help you out.
    2010 Heiden A5, 2020 Pomeroy oval A, 2013 Kentucky KM1000 F5, 2012 Girouard A Mandola w ff holes, 2001 Old Wave A oval octave
    http://HillbillyChamberMusic.bandcamp.com
    Videos: https://www.youtube.com/@hillbillychambermusic

All of the recorders that are suited to recording music are pretty similar as far as the interfaces go. For the most part, you only need to set them up once then just hit the record button. I wouldn't say others will be any easier than the H2 (which is a pretty nice unit).
    Robert Fear
    http://www.folkmusician.com

"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
    " - Pete Seeger

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

Yeah …. R.F. is IMO correct. They all operate ate about the same level of initial frustration. I have a Tascam model and I use about 10% of it's capabilities. But the record function isn't too much trouble. It does still amaze me when I buy some new tech item how thick the booklet is that arrives with it. R/
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...

Second what RF and UP said - to record is easy, to do anything else...leave it to the kids...
    Northfield F5M #268, AT02 #7

For the H2n, it's mainly about selecting the right microphone for your purposes (generally XY up close, MS for more distant things) and setting the gain (you'll want to be around -12 when the sound is going full tilt). If you transfer the files from your computer after each use, you probably won't need to worry about using more than one folder which simplifies usage greatly. It has other features like a built-in tuner but you probably don't need those either. For transferring files, you can either let the computer import the files through an automated process that may pop up, or you can manually navigate to the memory card drive and cut and the paste the files to your computer.

Check out the Shure Motiv MV88. Works with the iPhone. I use it instead of my Zoom H6.

Owned quite a few recorders
    for portable I've settled in on Tascam DR-40
    4-Channel 96kHz/24-bit Digital Recorder with XLR Inputs and Adjustable Mics (AB or XY)
    or use your own mic (s)
    it's 4-track, but only 2 live tracks at a time, but does have combo inputs and phantom power
    WAV or MP3
    SDHC cards up to 32GB, came with 4GB
    USB for PC
    Effects, EQ, Limiting etc...
    Can screw it in on mic stand
    Like said before, initial setup done, then it's a breeze....
    For groups it's great by using my AKG C414 set on omni
    picks up everything including room acoustics, then just move in closer for a lead.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tascam DR-40.jpg 
Views:	155 
Size:	34.2 KB 
ID:	171515  
    Last edited by treidm; Oct-02-2018 at 2:12pm.
    2011 Black A5 (#9) Mandolin
    1952 Gibson A-40N Mandolin
    1924 Gibson TB-1 Trapdoor Tenor Banjo
    1975 Gibson MK-35 Hybrid Braced Dreadnought Guitar
    1993 Washburn M3 SW/TS F-Style Mandolin
    2004 Martin D-16 GT Dreadnought Guitar
    2006 Martin DC-16RGTE AURA Dreadnought Guitar
    1997 Seagull S6 Dreadnought Guitar
    1970's Kay KB-52 5-String Banjo
    1960's Pirles 4-String Tenor Banjo

I agree to all replies. Most digital hand held music recorders have so many features making it a bit confusing for first time users. But do not feel depressed. Just spend a little time to learn seting it up ONCE and it becomes easy to record, play back, etc..
    I use the BOSS microBR which is rated as too complex to use on Amazon. I bought it half price, brand new, from a musician who was frustrated with it. By learning one step at a time, I now really mastered it including multi track recording, punch in punch out, bouncing tracks, mastering, etc...
    For simple recording, this recorder supports MP3/WAVE mode that works like old tape recorder using the Record, Play, Stop, Forward ans Rewind buttons.
    I show this simple mode to a lady friend and she recorded a lot of her singing with it.
    I am sure the H2N is similar if not easier.

Hope that the following logical steps will help (any digital music recorder)
    1) the recorder supports many inputs for recording: microphone, line in, guitar in, etc... SELECT ONE
    2) recording volume: SET TO YOUR NEED
    3) recording quality: MP3 bit rate or WAVE
    4) effects: SELECT EFFECT PER YOUR PREFERENCE
    That is pretty much all.
    (How to do these depends on the recorder, look in the manual for instructions. If you don't have one, search and download from the Web).
    Now you can hit RECORD to record then STOP when done recording.
    PLAY will cause current song to play back. There must be a way to select other songs to play back (or delete, etc..)

A wonderful and thoughtful friend just gifted me a Tascam DR05 recorder. I will use with great joy. You know who you are "D".

I agree they are overly complicated and time consuming for what most people want to do with them.

1) get a good smart phone ( I like the LG android but iphones are good too).
    2) get a basic condensor mic
    3) get an irig pro interface with battery for phantom power (40 bucks?)
    4) plug them up and record on your smart phone like you already know how to do
    5) from there you can use it as is, stream it straight to utube or face book, or download it to your lap top to edit further

Its a fraction of the time, learning curve, complication, expense, compared to any recorder and it suites what the majority of folks are after.
    No matter where I go, there I am...Unless I'm running a little late.

Quote Originally Posted by Astro View Post
    I agree they are overly complicated and time consuming for what most people want to do with them.

5) from there you can use it as is, stream it straight to utube or face book, or download it to your lap top to edit further

Its a fraction of the time, learning curve, complication, expense, compared to any recorder and it suites what the majority of folks are after.
    That can work for recording a tune you want to learn at a jam, or a scratch recording at home. It's not a good idea for workshops, or any other extended event, because then you get into battery problems. And *all* smartphones have battery problems! I have a good one, and I still have to keep an eye on it.

A pocket recorder like the Zoom H2n (or equivalent) is independent of your phone, and uses easily carried AA or AAA batteries if you need more recording time. That leaves your phone's charge untouched, for all the things we use smartphones for.

In my experience, a pocket recorder is also much easier for transferring files to a computer for later editing, compared to using Apple and Android OS transfers. Take out the flashcard from the pocket recorder, pop that into a card reader on your computer to move a MP3 or WAV file, and you're good to go.

15. The following members say thank you to foldedpath for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Astro View Post

I use a flip phone and despise the smart phones. Anyway a Tascam Dr_05 is only $100.00, compared to smart phone for several hundeds .

I have a recorder. It's a Yamaha. It works every time.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Recorder.jpg 
Views:	157 
Size:	58.6 KB 
ID:	171674
    David Hopkins

2001 Gibson F-5L mandolin
    Breedlove Legacy FF mandolin; Breedlove Quartz FF mandolin
    Gibson F-4 mandolin (1916); Blevins f-style Octave mandolin, 2018
    McCormick Oval Sound Hole "Reinhardt" Mandolin
    McCormick Solid Body F-Style Electric Mandolin; Slingerland Songster Guitar (c. 1939)

The older I get, the less tolerant I am of political correctness, incompetence and stupidity.

Quote Originally Posted by George R. Lane View Post
    I use a flip phone and despise the smart phones. Anyway a Tascam Dr_05 is only $100.00, compared to smart phone for several hundeds .
    I salute flip-phone holdouts! I was one, until last year, when I had to finally give up and get a smartphone, because a family emergency showed me how important it was to keep in touch with people scattered across the country with texting, instead of constant phone calls. My large fingers never got along with flip-phone keyboards. Now texting is part of my daily life, and I can use voice recognition instead of thumbing the stupid virtual keyboard.

But I hate the battery life of smartphones. It seems to be an insoluble problem until there's some tech breakthrough. Every time the batteries get a little better, or a little larger, the smartphones ramp up the features like screen res to suck down more power. I have to charge mine overnight, every night. My old flip-phone would go a week or more between charges. Anyway, that's why I recommend a separate pocket recorder, because it sidesteps the issue of smartphone battery life.

It's also easier to pop out a compact recorder's memory card for a transfer to the PC, because I always want to edit whatever I've recorded, regardless of how I'm using it. I don't have much use for uploading a raw recording straight from the phone to the Internet, but I guess a smartphone would be better for that.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to foldedpath For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Battery power is a critical point. I use a Tascam DR-100 and that has a (removable) Li-Ion battery and AA cells and switches between them seamlessly as required without breaking the recording. Something that takes regular AA cells is a big 'plus' in my opinion. You can use NiMH rechargable types, or alkaline, and you can find these literally everywhere.

My other recorders will also run from AA cells, or larger battery packs via locking Hirose connectors.
    Gibson F5 'Harvey' Fern, Gibson F5 'Derrington' Fern
    Distressed Silverangel F 'Esmerelda' aka 'Maxx'
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288
    '39 & '45 D-18's, 1950 D-28.

Quote Originally Posted by treidm View Post
    Owned quite a few recorders
    for portable I've settled in on Tascam DR-40
    4-Channel 96kHz/24-bit Digital Recorder with XLR Inputs and Adjustable Mics (AB or XY)
    or use your own mic (s)
    it's 4-track, but only 2 live tracks at a time, but does have combo inputs and phantom power
    WAV or MP3
    SDHC cards up to 32GB, came with 4GB
    USB for PC
    Effects, EQ, Limiting etc...
    Can screw it in on mic stand
    Like said before, initial setup done, then it's a breeze....
    For groups it's great by using my AKG C414 set on omni
    picks up everything including room acoustics, then just move in closer for a lead.
    Problem I've heard with the Tascam units is the tracks lose sync over a period of time.
    VerneAndru.com | oKee.ComX

- ---==< V >==--- -

Blog Entries

On lower cost recorders (all makes) there might be some 'drift', though even there it is very slight. A few frames over an hour or more of continuous recording. High quality recorders will have full time-code and temperature compensated oscillators and will maintain frame-accurate synch for extremely long periods. For recording jams or single songs you don't really need that kind of precision anyway. It only matters for film production, etc. I have a couple of Tascam recorders myself (DR-100 and a DR-60D) and have never had any issue with audible loss of synch. They are not as good as the 'full pro' recorders (e.g. Sound Devices) but then, they cost about 10X less.... and those would be crazy overkill for the kind of purposes being talked about here.
    Gibson F5 'Harvey' Fern, Gibson F5 'Derrington' Fern
    Distressed Silverangel F 'Esmerelda' aka 'Maxx'
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288
    '39 & '45 D-18's, 1950 D-28.

Quote Originally Posted by Verne Andru View Post
    Problem I've heard with the Tascam units is the tracks lose sync over a period of time.
    Never had any problems in that area or any areas for that matter with any of my 4 Tascam recorders. I also use Alesis ADAT & AKAI 1/4" RtoR. Have a mix of Analog and Digital recorders and gear and WAY too many microphones...

But my Tascam gear has ALL been rock solid with NO issues
    Tascam, Shure and Mackie gear have been my most problem free gear.

The drifting issue was a key point in the psssing match between Tascam and Zoom. Zoom had the same problem on the original H4 but fixed it on the H4N whereas Tascam never did fix theirs and Zoom made great hay out of their accomplishment. This is going from reviews as I have no first hand experience. I have a couple H4s and haven't had an issue that wasn't fixable in post.

I agree for most mortal people it won't made a difference, but it is something of note.

If this isn't a problem, used H4s go for under $100 and are a great recorder. Not as great as an H4N, but good enough for rock and roll, as the saying goes.

- ---==< V >==--- -

Are you referring to audio sync drift, if you are doing video also, or have like say a camera and mixing board situation? Or just basic recording?

Zoom H4N does drift at 2 frames per hour, Tascam is more. all of that can be fixed post. if you have short recordings, it won't matter. I've never had any problems with Tascam that weren't fixable. These small portable recorders just aren't going to be on par with a full size recorder

Chart is after changing speed in Tascam to 100.008%, Zoom doesn't allow it to be done. without speed change Tascam would have probably been 8 or 9 frames off at one hour
    In chart it's 1/2 frame off in hour opposed to 2 frames off in hour for Zoom H4N
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sync-Drift-Corrected.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	55.8 KB 
ID:	171726  

27. The following members say thank you to treidm for this post:

IIRC the 4 tracks (2 stereo) also drift from each other. Google is your friend.

Without genlock nothing will sync properly to video - they are all running wild - but it's fixable in post.

- ---==< V >==--- -