Thread: Choices for a re fret

Default Choices for a re fret

I have a BRW F5 in need of a re fret. Not sure what materials were used initially , but they are worn and grooved now. Being a Banjo player first, I prefer larger gauge frets for the feel. The frets on my Pomeroy seem to wear like iron. Maybe its me.
    I will be taking the BRW to Gryphon Instruments for the job. Looking for suggestions and any good questions to ask. Thanks for your thoughts.

Default Re: Choices for a re fret

Last I checked, Gryphon can put in stainless steel frets, but it will cost you significant extra $$ to have that done. These will last a terrifically long time. For less money, they will put in EVO Gold (Jescar) frets. These also last a long time, but less long than stainless steel. And for still less money, you can get regular frets made from regular "nickel/German silver" fretwire. These have the shortest lifetime. The choice is yours, and you need to balance cost against lifetime. You also have to choose the fretwire size you prefer. The EVO gold wire, for example, comes in 37053, 37080, and 43080. The size 37080 (0.080" crown width) is wider than the 37053 (0.053" crown width), so if you prefer to have wider "banjo style" frets, go with that, or with 43080, which is not only wider, but also a trifle higher (0.043" crown height).

3. The following members say thank you to sblock for this post:

+1 for the EVO's

Sblock, thanks for the information. Sounds like a road trip is in order. Will have to do a comparison with what’s available. I liked the ones that are on it, good feel. They just started to show wear way to soon. The Evo’s sound like they might a good choice.

Gryphon has enough of a selection of mandolins that you should find a size you like. The rest is guiding you through the options. EVO seems like it has a lot of fans.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

+1 for 0.080" EVO. I've put it in 2 mandolins and love it. Over two years on one Mando and showing very little sign of wear. In the reading I've done, it seems most luthiers put the lifespan of EVO to be about 4x that of standard nickel/silver

formerly Philphool Phil Goodson's Avatar

I have three mandolins that get regular play. Two have SS and one has EVO. I notice no difference in tone or feel related to frets. Minimal (near none) wear on all after 3 to 10 years of play. All are .080 width. Either will be a good choice IMO.
    Phil

“Sharps/Flats” “Accidentals”