Thread: Schaller Grand Tune Tuners

Default Schaller Grand Tune Tuners

I’m curious if anyone has tried the Schaller Grand Tune tuners and, if so, you’re thoughts?
    Last edited by Ranger Bob; Oct-01-2018 at 4:35pm. Reason: Spelling

Default Re: Schiller Grand Tune Tuners

While you're waiting for an answer take a look these past threads on Schaller Grand Tunes.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

3. The following members say thank you to MikeEdgerton for this post:

Default Re: Schiller Grand Tune Tuners

I was fine with Shallers' previous tuners, in A , F and Slotted headstock versions... have several.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Default Re: Schaller Grand Tune Tuners

A few weeks ago I installed a GrandTune set replacing Rubners with bad gearing on a warranty repair. They look great (unless you want vintage gibson look). Very precise gearing design, which requires very precise installation. Required plugging and redrilling post holes, bushing counterbores. Don’t expect to just drop them in existing peghead holes. I would use them on new builds if I thought costumers would pay the extra cost. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	24378398-62DE-458D-B609-FEE3CD90D5AD.jpeg 
Views:	206 
Size:	1.12 MB 
ID:	172416

They look really nice. Do they have the same spacing and bushing size as the other F style tuners manfactured by Schaller? Lp
    J.Lane Pryce

Hole spacing is standard. Don’t know about bushing diameter vs older schallers.

Here's the spec. for the Schaller 'F' ''Grand tuners'' (diagram 2/3 down the page) :- https://schaller.info/en/gt-mandolin...10641064.71.31 Available in a number of coatings & choice of buttons. All black would look pretty awesome !.

Spec. for 'Standard' Schaller tuners :- https://shop.rall-online.net/Schalle...yle-gold-s-MOP

Looking at the Schaller website,it appears that the 'standard' Schaller mandolin tuners might have been discontinued.There's no mention of them ??,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Kelsall View Post
    Looking at the Schaller website,it appears that the 'standard' Schaller mandolin tuners might have been discontinued.There's no mention of them ??
    Correct. No longer made

10. The following members say thank you to colorado_al for this post:

Anyone know if the Grand Tunes will drop in where old Schallers have been removed? Lp
    J.Lane Pryce

I've had a set of GTs with ebony buttons on my BRW three point for over a year now. Mine dropped right into the holes left from the original set of tuners, which I can't identify. I am a big fan of these tuners, mostly because of the only thing (besides looks) that I care about in tuners, is that there is no hint of "give" while cranking the buttons, and that they stay in tune really well.

Is there anything else regarding tuners that a player needs to be concerned with? I suppose there's brand name. But as the high end brands relate to the current crop of great mid-range priced tuners, I'd say paying extra is about status more than eye-catching design or capability.

The only other mandolin I own and perform with is an Altman, which has Rubners with ebony buttons and a gorgeous copper and black coloring. As a user of these two brands, here's my conclusion. Both the GTs and the Rubners are great tuners. Either brand will serve anyone, pro or otherwise, very well.
    Explore some of my published music here.

—Jim

Sierra F5 #30 (2005)
    Altman 2-point (2007)
    Portuguese fado cittern (1965)

Adrian Minarovic

Quote Originally Posted by crooksj View Post
    A few weeks ago I installed a GrandTune set replacing Rubners with bad gearing on a warranty repair. They look great (unless you want vintage gibson look). Very precise gearing design, which requires very precise installation. Required plugging and redrilling post holes, bushing counterbores. Don’t expect to just drop them in existing peghead holes. I would use them on new builds if I thought costumers would pay the extra cost.
    Every tuners require precise installation cheap or expensive. There still the same simple worm gear mechanism used in all of them. Surprisingly often the cheap tuners can stand improper installation for longer period of time than the more expensive tuners machined to closer tolerances that start to get jammed and bind with just slight error of installation. I have yet to see tgears that broke because of manufacturing defect and I've seen many of them. In all cases problem was with installation or (lack of) maintenance. I've seen cheap ping tuners that were very worn because they were not lubricated but still worked.
    If the holes are precise and large enough for posts there's no need to plug and redrill the holes unless you want to use different bushings for design reasons.
    Adrian

Many thanks for the info. Al.

Regarding tuners in general. We recently had one Cafe member with a broken Rubner tuner,we've also had members with faulty tuners ( in one way or another) of almost every make. So i personally feel that regardless of 'make',they either work well or they don't - common sense. Almost anything, regardless of 'quality / price' can become defective for one reason or another. I have lowly Gotoh MA40's on my Ellis DeLuxe "A" style & they work superbly well. So well in fact, that i'd never consider replacing them unless they did become defective or very worn. We expect the higher priced tuners to work in a superior manner to cheaper ones,& that's usually the case - but not always.

Adrian's assertion that ALL tuners require careful installation is of course, spot on,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.