Thread: 2011 Kentucky KM-160

Default 2011 Kentucky KM-160

Just acquired it from the original owner, $100 from Craigslist with Levy's strap and a so-so hard case. Not very playable, stiff action. Needs setup.

Very plain woods. No flame on the maple, oh well. It has a nice tone with new D'Addario phosphor bronze strings. I put the new strings on, adjusted the truss rod (which was completely loose), lowered the bridge some. It has a nice bark and is LOUD! With further setup work should be adequate for me.

Serial number is eight digits, starts with 1111 which means November 2011? Trying to find the true specs of this KM-160 since they seem to vary over the years. If I'm not mistaken, it has carved top and back and nitro finish? If so, with my feelings on the tone being good, it would be worth a bit of ugrading to me, such as a new, better quality bridge, maybe a new tailpiece. The tuners are nice and smooth.

Blog Entries

Default Re: 2011 Kentucky KM-160

You'll have to pry look at Kentucky website? I know I just got a KM-140S #060301-3 and I have no idea as of yet what year and if its real wood? Not a bad looking or sounding burst A style but very plain! Can't complain since it was given to me for free! I have no use for it though as I have some way better mandolins so I'll pry sell it.

That era of Kentucky should have the date in the serial, so 2011 is likely correct. All solid, carved and nitro at that point. These had maple back and sides. If you go back to the Korean 160, they were mahogany and most should have been laminated, with KM-160S having a solid top.

A good score at $100!
    Robert Fear
    http://www.folkmusician.com

"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
    " - Pete Seeger

Thanks very much! I appreciate the information.

Quote Originally Posted by bluegrasser78 View Post
    You'll have to pry look at Kentucky website? I know I just got a KM-140S #060301-3 and I have no idea as of yet what year and if its real wood? Not a bad looking or sounding burst A style but very plain! Can't complain since it was given to me for free! I have no use for it though as I have some way better mandolins so I'll pry sell it.
    Your mandolin should be laminate back and sides and a solid spruce top, hence the 's'. I think it should be hand carved, but it is the lowest level Kentucky, so I might be wrong on that one. Not sure on the finish but most Kentuckys are nitro. That said, as a Kentucky, it should be better than most mandolins with a solid top only.
    We are the music makers,
    And we are the dreamers of dreams

Roger is correct... A KM-140S would be a solid top with laminated back and sides, though older versions were pressed. Only those from the last few years have a carved top.
    Robert Fear
    http://www.folkmusician.com

"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
    " - Pete Seeger

Blog Entries

Well mine may be an 06 then based on the #? It was a free gift so I'll pry pass it on as I don't need it.

Quote Originally Posted by bluegrasser78 View Post
    Well mine may be an 06 then based on the #? It was a free gift so I'll pry pass it on as I don't need it.
    It's still a fairly respectable instrument. If you could find a young person just starting out, they could do considerably worse. Just be sure it's well setup to give them the best possible start.
    We are the music makers,
    And we are the dreamers of dreams

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Moss View Post
    It's still a fairly respectable instrument. If you could find a young person just starting out, they could do considerably worse. Just be sure it's well setup to give them the best possible start.
    Great suggestion!
    “Without music, life would be a mistake” Neitzsche

Collings MF5-V
    Kimble A5
    An electric rig with an envelope filter trying to sound like Jerry...

Blog Entries

Yes that's exactly what I'm doing with it, I have a little 2nd cousin that has interest in the mando so it'll go there more than likely.