Thread: Finish checking

Default Finish checking

I am a real fan of patina on an old instrument. My 1913 A-1 looks like it has a pristine, if aged finish, but if you bounce light off it at an angle, the entire surface is riddled with tiny finish cracks, not at all like the larger finish checking of my 50 year old guitars.

Is there a reason these old Gibsons age like this? Lines of finish? Just age?

Anyway, it's beautiful.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

Default Re: Finish checking

Not sure how much they are different but Bruce Harvie is an expert and making new instruments look like old instruments and seeing how he did some of this is pretty amazing. I too appreciate that aged look.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

Your Mandolin is probably varnish finish and your guitar is probably lacquer.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Sanderson View Post
    Your Mandolin is probably varnish finish and your guitar is probably lacquer.
    Now that makes sense. Two different finishes. I have a friend who has a 62 Gibson ES 335. He lived and gigged in Chicago. In and out of cold trunks into warm clubs. The finish checking is remarkable. Then there is the horribly ugly poly finish cracks,Yuck.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

I really look like that soliver's Avatar

Its my understanding that "crazing" happens as a result of the instruments being exposed to (possible extensive) climate changes. However I have also read that the cracking improves tone in that the cracking allows the wood to move more easily... I'm sure its up for debate.
    aka: Spencer
    Silverangel Econo A #429
    Soliver #001 & #002: A double stack of Pancakes.

Soliver Hand Crafted Mandolins and Mandolin Armrests
    Armrests Here -- Mandolins Here

"You can never cross the ocean unless you have the courage
    to lose sight of the shore, ...and also a boat with no holes in it.” -anonymous

Blog Entries

Lacquer finish will craze/crack big time when exposed to varying temps! I've seen it on old Gibson mandolins and guitars as well as Martin guitars. New stuff will do it also! I have old stuff that's all crazed up, don't matter to me as long as it sounds great. Old varnish will craze in a different way. I know in 1927 I believe Gibson must've changed something in their lacquer because look at how the mandolin lacquer has waves all through it, low end F-2's-F-5's.

Blog Entries

Played an outdoor gig one fall and it got pretty cool that evening. My buddy's treasured black Les Paul went from pristine to full checking in one evening. I thought it looked cool but he was pretty po'd.

My band played a food bank fundraiser one cold thanksgiving. We were in a slightly heated event tent. Before our eyes, my guitar player's guitar, a mid 2000s Martin hd28, exploded with crazing(sp?). It ain't pretty, but is a memorable battle scar, and likely freed up the to to move more. It's a great sounding 28. The varnished instruments were not bothered by that day.
    2007 Weber Custom Elite "old wood"
    2017 Ratliff R5 Custom #1148
    Several nice old Fiddles
    2007 Martin 000-15S 12 fret Auditorium-slot head
    Deering Classic Open Back
    Too many microphones

BridgerCreekBoys.com

Cold Basement apartment, the simple act of opening the guitar case, did the trick..
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Confused... or?
    Over the Hudson & thru the woods from NYC

After a neck re-set in '04, I was shocked to find checking on the top of my '72 D-35 - while looking at it in the front window of the shop that had just done the work. (I had owned it for 14 years by then.) Then realized that it was probably the first time I had inspected it in direct sunlight. Still can't see checking indoors, and in sunlight at only the right angle.
    - Ed

"Then one day we weren't as young as before
    Our mistakes weren't quite so easy to undo
    But by all those roads, my friend, we've travelled down
    I'm a better man for just the knowin' of you."
    - Ian Tyson

A freind who witnessed severe widespread checking on a NIB very cold strat when the case was opened in a very warm room described the sound as eerie and terrible, while making a sound like static electricity. The owner of the store sighed and said, "Well, I guess this one is mine."

formerly Philphool Phil Goodson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dan in va View Post
    A freind who witnessed severe widespread checking on a NIB very cold strat when the case was opened in a very warm room described the sound as eerie and terrible, while making a sound like static electricity. The owner of the store sighed and said, "Well, I guess this one is mine."
    You mean he didn't mark it "Distressed" and mark up the price?
    Phil

“Sharps/Flats” “Accidentals”