Thread: Recommended CNC machine

Default Recommended CNC machine

Those of you who use CNCs for mandolin making, is there a brand or model you recommend? I would prefer and affordable model, but not something cheaply made. Also, I don't have a lot of space. Thanks.

Default Re: Recommended CNC machine

A CNC is a paperweight without without the CAD files.
    I have a Romaxx WD, and use it for electric guitars (no mandolins yet) and by far the steepest part of the learning curve is the software.
    There are 3 bits of software that are needed.
    CAD (Autocad, Fusion360, Rhino3D, etc) to create the geometry of the parts you want to cut.
    CAM (MAD-Cam, Bob-Cam, Aspire [which has the advantage of some CAD capabilities], etc) to convert the drawings to g-code tool paths. G-code is the instructions that tell the machine where to go and when, kinda like a midi file, but for a CNC router.
    Motion Control Software (Mach3, winCNC, UCCNC, etc) that converts the g-code into signals that are sent to the router and control the motion.

If you want to get into CNC routing, start by researching the CAD software and build some proficiency with your software of choice. There are lots of CNC routers collecting dust in garages because the users couldn’t get over the CAD hump.

Rowka gives good advice. I have developed a series of parametric CAD tutorials that will get you up and running in ~5 hours. Then you'll need to dig deeper to get into complex stuff like arched, graduated plates. But most people try to use solid CAD the same way that AutoCAD works - draw the shape you want the final design to be. That's not how modern CAD works. You break everything down into circles and rectangles. Novice users never believe me about that, but I modeled a fully detailed, functional Optimus Prime Power Wheels type toy for a big box retailer brand using nothing but circles and rectangles. Maybe the odd trapezoid here and there, but no fancy surface modeling or splines.

Fusion 360 has a $10,000 CAM system built in which is available for free if you're making less than $100,000 a year with it.

As far as routers go, avoid the import ones that look attractive (by that I mean $500) on ebay. They're junk. Might work as a good kit of parts, but you're better off starting with a good kit of parts than a crappy kit of parts.

I'd recommend budgeting about $4k and going for something like this:
    http://www.cncrouterparts.com/pro482...kit-p-250.html

Or: https://www.finelineautomation.com/p...x-4-cnc-router

I've worked with Ahren at CNCRouterParts and Nate at Fine Line Automation, both offer solid designs and good tech support.

I worked with one of Nate's FLA200 router designs for six years, now I'm upgrading it massively based on my own design. But it served me well and only cost me about $3k to build according to his plans, with a few modifications. Biggest drawback was that I cheaped out on dust collection, which I would recommend you not do.

Building your own from a kit means that you can replace any part of it for $100, and never have to hire a CR Onsrud technician to drive to your place and charge you $1200 a day for repair services.

Spending $10k on a CNC machine is not necessary. Servos are also not necessary. Stepper motors are an order of magnitude more precise than most luthiers will ever need. It's commonly thought that steppers randomly "lose steps" for no good reason. That can happen, if the machine is broken or the drivers are mis-tuned, but unless something is broken or mis-configured, steppers will give you basically indistinguishable performance in wood from a servo system costing 3-5x more.

4. The following members say thank you to Marty Jacobson for this post:

Marty, I’m interested in your circles and rectangle approach. I use Rhino3D(which is not parametric) and admit I tend to make things more complicated than I need them to be. I instinctively try to model the finished design, but I imagine a more modular approach should make sense.

Also, people think it’s basically load a block of wood, push a button, and out pops an instrument. Nots not really the case.

I just built an Arches kit. The CNC made parts really were very nicely done, and I can see where many trying to streamline a build and actually earn a living would want one. It's that last 2% that makes a build anyway. What an asset once you get the programming done.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

Quote Originally Posted by rowka View Post
    Marty, I’m interested in your circles and rectangle approach. I use Rhino3D(which is not parametric) and admit I tend to make things more complicated than I need them to be. I instinctively try to model the finished design, but I imagine a more modular approach should make sense.

Also, people think it’s basically load a block of wood, push a button, and out pops an instrument. Nots not really the case.
    I used Rhino for many thousands of hours. It's a different thought process. You have access to all the same tools in Fusion and Solidworks when they are appropriate, but working with surfaces for an entire instrument feels like going back to Legos after you get comfortable with solid modeling.

A company in China by the name of quick cnc operated by. Gentleman named taney, makes top notch stuff, it will cost double the normal Chinese stuff, but he makes quality, still way cheaper than anything you will find in the states.

I have purchased maybe 8 cnc routers over the last 10-15 years and even made my own cnc router from scratch, 3 cnc routers from Taney, I still have those 3, the others have all gone

Software, get an all in one system like say vetric. This allows you to draw a picture, all lines in the picture or drawing are vectors (computer lines) it can then allocate tools and output the code needed to run the machine.

In the old days, we use to have three programs to take a drawing and finally machine it, nowadays stuff like vetric does it all for you

Steve

Clearly there is more training, experience and BUDGET needed that what I was expecting. This is something that I will put way back on the back burner for now. I really appreciate everyone's input. Thank you.

I tell my CNC students that it's comparable in time to getting a pilot's license. 50-100 hours should get you to a point where you're quite productive. If you do woodworking to get away from screens and computers in your day job, then CNC is probably not a good investment. If you like tinkering and using robots to open up new creative possibilities, then you'll probably enjoy it a lot.
    It is expensive, but $3k isn't that much more than people will spend on a new Mac laptop, iPad and iPhone. (Or a small, non-functional trim upgrade on a new car...) All those will be busted and slow in a couple years, the CNC machine will still be a baby.