Thread: Best glue for wood bindings

Default Best glue for wood bindings

I am ready to glue the wood bindings on my bouzouki build. Up until now I have used hot hide glue for everything, but I am wondering how to go about that with the bindings. They are bent to shape, but I suspect they will have to be fussed with a bit to get them correct and I am not sure if There would be enough time to do that.
    I am using 2 bindings; a a 0.060 BWB binding inside of a outer bloodwood binding.
    Are there any special techniques for using HHG or would a different glue with a longer set time be better?

Default Re: Best glue for wood bindings

For what it's worth, I use Titebond for bindings to make use of the longer time available for getting the bindings properly seated and positioned. I do bend the bindings, as you say you do, but still like the extra time the aliphatic resin glue gives. I use a rubber band - made by cutting a bicycle inner tube into a long length of rubber - rather than using string or other methods. Each individual will have a particular technique and materials to use, but the Titebond and rubber bandwork for me. Other folk use tape or cord and if you get the bindings very accurately bent to shape then less pressure is needed to hold them in place anyway, so less chance of you marking the bindings by havind cord pulled too tightly to hold things in place.
    I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order. - Eric Morecambe

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheOldBores

3. The following members say thank you to John Kelly for this post:

Mandolin & Mandola maker

I also use original Titebond and rubber bands for my wooden bindings. You can use hide glue and don't worry about it gelling while you put the bindings on. Just re-activate the glue with a hot iron after the bindings are in place.
    Peter Coombe - mandolins, mandolas and guitars
    http://www.petercoombe.com

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to peter.coombe For This Useful Post:

John, Peter,
    Thanks for the feedback. I was planning on using the binding tape to hold them in place; would the rubber bands be faster? I guess they make it easier to make small adjustments after they are in place. I will go over the bindings again to make sure the fit is good. Do you have any experience with fish glue since it has similar characteristics to hide glue?

Thanks again
    Bob Schmidt

If you have the bindings accurately shaped, Bob, they do not need a lot of force to hold them in place, so tape works well. Have a supply of pieces ready-cut and placed along the edge of your bench so that you just have to reach and tape and you'll dcevelop a rhythm quite quickly.
    I have a single long piece of rubber, from a bicycle inner tube, and it can be a pest at times if it gets caught between the binding and the instrument body as I am wrapping it around! single strong bands might well be better or easier but I have not tried them. One thing to be aware of is that you have the bindings as close to finished height as you can get. If too much binding protrudes above the soundboard or the back of the instrument there can be a tendency for the binding to be pulled out of square by the rubber or whatever you are holding it with and ir will not seat properly.

Cannot comment on fish glue!
    Last edited by John Kelly; Sep-29-2018 at 1:53pm. Reason: extra info
    I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order. - Eric Morecambe

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheOldBores