Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Budget A-style Octave: Is there such a thing?

Question Budget A-style Octave: Is there such a thing?

So, I'm intrigued by OMs. They sound really beautiful to me. But they're typically kind of expensive.

So far I've found two less expensive options, but they're a bit questionable...

One is the Eastman MDO305, which looks very nice, but availability doesn't seem to be very good and some people remarked it's kind of thin, too, lacking volume.

And then there's octaves sold by Thomann, I think these are made by Hora.
    These are pretty cheap, but personally I don't like the bozouki-like look. They also seem to sound a bit more like a bozouki, I'm not sure I like the sound.
    But I guess that is expected with an instrument this cheap.

So I just wanted to ask whether anyone knows of any other options under $1000, preferably A-style, before I start considering hurting the savings account...
    Thanks!

Default Re: Budget A-style Octave: Is there such a thing?

There isn't nearly as big a market for octave mandolins as there is for mandolins, and there isn't that big a market for them either.
    The best OM under $1000 is the Eastman, though it isn't, in my opinion, near as good as most guitar bodied OMs, not to mention archtop guitar bodied OMs. But those are going to cost you quite a bit.
    You might consider checking out tenor guitars that can be strung GDAE. Or convert a tenor guitar into an OM.

Yeah, I was wondering why luthiers make guitar-bodied OMs, it seems to me the unqiue mandolin look is kind of lost then. Is it to get more volume out of it? Is the sound of the A/F-style ones, even of those more expensive than the Eastman, quieter or inferior in some other way?

I have one of the Thomann/Hora octaves (and I also have a Hora bouzouki); it is not a bad deal for the money and I use it quite often for recording and performance. It is better to get the acoustic/electric version as the bridge is better than the acoustic version (or you can buy a bridge to upgrade the acoustic version). I'm sure the Eastman OM is better though and if you can afford it there is Forster, Fylde etc which are far better. I made a thread about my Thomann/Hora in the CBOM subforum.

5. The following members say thank you to Seter for this post:

Assuming you're OK with used:
    Petersen
    Moon
    Hathaway
    Lafferty/Red Valley
    These come to mind. They may be a bit over or under 1k used. I sold my Petersen (structurally perfect but with a lot of wear) for around 800. There's a Johnson Octave on Reverb right now for $199. They are entry level and not the quality of the previously mentioned octaves but would provide a very cheap way to see how you like Octave mandolins. NFI and I can't comment for sure on this particular instrument. Just something I saw on Reverb.
    Girouard Concert A5
    Girouard Custom A4
    Nordwall Cittern
    Barbi Mandola
    Dunwell B-1 Bouzouki
    www.singletonstreet.com

If you want to get an idea of if you like an OM, you can get a flat top for a few hundred $
    https://reverb.com/item/15353478-use...ctave-mandolin

I believe Trinity College OMs are < $1000 and have a rep as a decent all solid entry level OM, but I’ve admittedly not looked at pricing in a while. They also have the Zouk look to them. If you want arch topped, F holed, Eastman is your option unless you can convince a builder to build you an Economy model. There are some excellent mandolin builders in your country, but their professional level instruments tend to come with professional level prices (as they should). You may have better luck checking into some of the builders in Ireland/Scotland, though I suspect it’s gonna be tough to get what you really want in that range.

My first foray into OM was on a Weber Hyalite that was oval holed but arch topped. That thing was a beast, but think I paid around $1600 USD used for it. The Eastman reviews seem to be mixed, but I think most have been satisfied with them, especially for the price.
    Chuck

An important thing to consider with OM is scale length; there is a fairly wide range available and what works for one person based on hand size, playing style, etc may not be good for another. That may be one of the best ways to narrow down your options.

Thanks all, there's some great tips here...

I've also found a Johnson MA-550 on ebay for $700, is that a good deal? EDIT: probably not.

OMs by local makers start just under $3000.

Blog Entries

The Pono flattop guitar-bodied OMs made a decent impression around here, if I recall correctly. Looks like you can get into them around $1,000 new.

They're showing as out of stock at The Mandolin Store, but with some becoming available soon.

Have a look at Ashbury models, especially the E style.

https://www.hobgoblin.com/local/sale...SABEgLh0_D_BwE

I own one so am obviously biased but I think they’re great value

13. The following members say thank you to OneChordTrick for this post:

The Trinity College is well made for the price, looks good, sounds better than you would expect. The bridge needs to be altered or replaced. It is not compensated correctly as is an so it will not intonate correctly. Heavier gauge strings than the factory puts on are called for for best tone and playability.

The Hora instruments are also all solid wood, and can be made to play well. As noted above, the acoustic electric version has a much better bridge. The acoustic only version has a maple banjo style bridge that performs poorly. It needs to be replaced, not adjusted. As well as the miserable strings.

You also have the Gold Tone OM 800+. It is similar to the TC except the body is made of laminated mahogany instead of solid maple, and it has a longer scale. The cast tailpiece as standard is a nice touch on those.

I have been curious about the Eastman ever since they were introduced. I would love to find one in a store to try. But that is unlikely to happen in the foreseeable future since they get sucked up almost as soon as a store lists them in stock. One good thing about those, if you buy one and decide later you don’t like it, you will have no trouble selling it. Guaranteed.
    Don

2016 Weber Custom Bitterroot F
    2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

I bought one of these from Moloney Music in Ireland. I think it's got a very nice sound at a good price. If you search for APC, you will find a thread or two about these instruments.

Quote Originally Posted by OneChordTrick View Post
    Have a look at Ashbury models, especially the E style.

https://www.hobgoblin.com/local/sale...SABEgLh0_D_BwE

I own one so am obviously biased but I think they’re great value
    Agreed. I have both the Eastman and the Ashbury Style E. Both are good. At their price point. Sound completely different. My wife likes the Ashbury better. To her it's louder and more even sounding. The Eastman has a very nice treble and I believe the overall build quality is better.

If I had purchased the Ashbury first - probably wouldn't have bought the Eastman. Then again, I have a bias for oval hole instruments.
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Big Muddy M-11, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723

I have a Lafferty octave I just picked up this summer used off the classifieds here. It's a nice journeyman instrument, wouldn't hesitate to gig with it. I have played some of the guitar bodied ones that I loved and wanted, but they were over $4000 used. So the Lafferty was a nice entry to see if I liked the sound (I do) and will do me for a while until I can save the coin for a GBOM.

It was above $1000, but not too much over and seems well made. Mine needs some setup and a bit of fret dressing, but it's a really nice sounding instrument.
    Andrew Frink
    Phoenix Bluegrass, '23 Gibson A Snakehead, Clark octave coming soon

Goldtone makes one as well. I have no idea wat is available to you locally.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

I didn't realize that you're in Europe. Sorry.
    The Ashbury Lindisfarne Octave gets good reviews.
    https://www.hobgoblin.com/local/sale...a-guitar-body/

We are the music makers,
    And we are the dreamers of dreams

I'm a big fan (and owner) of the Flatiron "Model 3" octave mandolin (or "bouzouki"), now available only used. It's scale length is bouzouki-ish, 23.5 inches, but I often use a capo on mine.

This one went for $1K last year, so the price range is around what you're looking for.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Quote Originally Posted by allenhopkins View Post
    I'm a big fan (and owner) of the Flatiron "Model 3" octave mandolin (or "bouzouki"), now available only used. It's scale length is bouzouki-ish, 23.5 inches, but I often use a capo on mine.

This one went for $1K last year, so the price range is around what you're looking for.
    Looks like that was the price 3 years ago. There was a similar one down in Texas earlier this year, but the seller didn't want to ship.

Those Flatirons are really nice. A good friend plays one in his band. Great sounding and cuts through nicely. He plays without a capo most of the time.

Big Muddy/Mid Missouri also has made some octave mandolins. One was recently on Reverb in your price range. That might also be worth checking out.
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Big Muddy M-11, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723

23. The following members say thank you to Eric Platt for this post:

It sure looks like there's quite a few options after all.

I also found a local maker who builds (besides $3k mandolins) 'economic line' guitars under $1k. Perhaps he'd be amenable to a request for an 'economic line' OM...

Anyway, thank you all for mentioning all those options I'll sleep on it and see what I'll end up doing...

Girouard Concert A5
    Girouard Custom A4
    Nordwall Cittern
    Barbi Mandola
    Dunwell B-1 Bouzouki
    www.singletonstreet.com

26. The following members say thank you to Chuck Leyda for this post:

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

28. The following members say thank you to pheffernan for this post:

johnson's usually need set up work but at that price they are ok to get the feel of an om

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Another option has hit the classifieds: https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/129970#129970
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5