Thread: Sampling new Weber Mandolins

Default Sampling new Weber Mandolins

Sometimes life is hard. Even the best day at work, well… it is still work!

Today was not one of those days. Colin came down from Weber to show me the latest offerings. It reminded me that what I do isn’t really work at all. I actually feel guilty for having such a good time!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00448 (1).jpg 
Views:	293 
Size:	266.1 KB 
ID:	171390
    Robert Fear
    http://www.folkmusician.com

"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
    " - Pete Seeger

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Folkmusician.com For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Sampling new Weber Mandolins

Quote Originally Posted by Folkmusician.com View Post
    It reminded me that what I do isn’t really work at all. I actually feel guilty for having such a good time!
    Lucky you, Robert. I get to taste wine while I work (I make wine). I thought I was lucky. You are luckier than me!
    Purr more, hiss less. Barn Cat Mandolins Photo Album

You got me there Robert !!. I suppose that some of us will have to remind ourselves that the 'Webers' currently in production, are 'Weber' in name only. I jumped in thinking -''What's Bruce making'',eager to see some of his new instruments,but they of course will be made under the 'Montana Luthiery' banner. I hope that the standard set by Bruce Weber will always be maintained - he set a very high standard for build quality, & his after sales service became stuff of legend,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Lucky you, Robert. I get to taste wine while I work (I make wine). I thought I was lucky. You are luckier than me!
    haha. Not so sure about that Bob. I would be very tempted to trade jobs with you!

Ivan....

I would love to have a chance to see Bruce's new instruments. As to the newest Webers, they have made changes. Most notably the new dovetail neck joint. It's hard to pinpoint improvements in the workmanship, because it was there before. Still, it seems there is some minute refinements. I just couldn't pinpoint it. The biggest improvements seemed to be in the Gallatins. I don't have a ton of experience from Weber's more than a few years back, but I do see improvements in the recent years.
    Robert Fear

"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
    " - Pete Seeger

6. The following members say thank you to Folkmusician.com for this post:

Eight Webers all in a row....brings a lump to my throat.

Blog Entries

That's a pretty nice conference room, too.
    New to mando? Click this link -->Newbies to join us at the Newbies Social Group.

Just send an email to rob.meldrum@gmail.com with "mandolin setup" in the subject line and he will email you a copy of his ebook for free (free to all mandolincafe members).

My website and blog: honketyhank.com

That's a pretty nice conference room, too.
    It is! And right about now you are thinking "Robert charges way too much for mandolins", BUT..... if you saw my actual shop, you would be saying "poor Robert, he needs to raise prices"!

The conference room is something I have access to and use for things like this and occasionally when I need to meet customers and the shop is a mess. The shop is a small back section of a computer store and a bit embarrassing.
    Robert Fear

" - Pete Seeger

"The biggest improvements seemed to be in the Gallatins"

Robert...I'd like to hear your thoughts on the Gallatins.

Al,

I like the Gallatins a lot. I like the past versions as well. The level of fit and finish is excellent. Despite being stripped' down bare-bones mandolins, the quality is still there. The tone is not quite on par with the higher models, but they do sound good.

As to the latest versions. The obvious difference is the finish. I prefer the new finish to the "Leather". This new finish is thinner and looks great. There is a tonal improvement compared to the last few years. I am sure the new finish plays a part, but I do not think that it is the main factor at play. I would assume they have improved the graduation of the top and back.

Is their deflection testing paying off? Maybe....

https://webermandolins.com/blog/the-...ection-testing
    Robert Fear

" - Pete Seeger

Robert, there is something that is always in the back of my mind when regarding the different price levels of any manufacturer's mandolins. Now you say Galatins sound good, but not as good as the more expensive mandolins. Now from what is said regarding wood, figuring has nothing to do with acoustics, and inlay and binding don't either. So we have essentially the same structure. We also have lines of product with mortise and tenon neck joints, and lines with all dovetail joints, and now Weber with a mix. I can certainly understand a builder's needing to differinciate between models. They are asking a customer to spend large chunks of cash to climb the ladder.

So I guess I always wonder if a maker isn't in the business of designing difference into their instruments, wanting to make a lower cost instrument good enough to sell, but not good enough to keep from wanting the next step. I'm talking tone here. We all want pretty, or at least most of us.

Am I wrong in my assumptions that any maker should be able to make a simple instrument sound as good as anything they make?
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

Brick,

I don't think you are wrong at all. In fact, I believe you are spot on! Logic says that it is much easier (less costly) to source quality tone woods without figure. Makers would have to weigh in here, but I can't see how a bunch of plastic binding is improving tone. A nicer finish may need a little more clear coat to buff out....

So yes, there is no reason the stripped down versions of mandolins could not be made to sound just as good as flagship models.

Well, there is one.... There would still be a good deal of labor into the detail work needed to squeeze out that last bit of tone and voice the mandolin. And few will pay for that additional labor if the instrument doesn't stand out cosmetically.

Take the badging and ground effects off the V8 version of cars, and few people will buy them.

In the case of these Particular Mandolins, the Yellowstone was voiced differently. When I first strummed it I was like "meh", but then I heard something and realized that I was not driving it hard enough. I laid into and then the aha moment. OK, this mandolin likes or REQUIRES a bit more aggression. It sounded ok with a limp wrist, but when you got into it, it came to life. It wasn't a case of just being more refined, they shot for a completely different mandolin. Of course, that doesn't mean that they couldn't have done something similar with a Gallatin if price was not a concern.
    Robert Fear

" - Pete Seeger

Thank you, you are a great resource to have here. Makers have to juggle a whole host of factors. I recall a few years ago playing a Martin D 16 Adirondak that was worlds better sounding to me than the D 18s that were in the store, and at a significantly lessor cost. A year later they were discontinued. Eating into Martin's own market?

A retail store has a bunch of Eastman mandolins and electrics, not a flat top in sight. Protecting Taylor, one of their big selling brands?

Man, the marketplace is a quagmire of possible missteps for all.

And how hard has it been for Weber to overcome the founder and namesake no longer being in the building? Probably half or more believing if it's not signed, it can't be good, and therefore their instrument being worth a premium.

And that leaves the poor consumer to ferret out what to buy, made doubly hard by the fact there are few places to actually compare instruments side by side. The one saving grace is the overall high quality of product available in most price ranges. I dare say I could live with Gallatin and above mandolins from any of the makers out there. The only store I've ever been in where I had four or five makers to choose from was The Mandolin Store. I happened to be in Phoenix. What an education that was.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

It is a lot like giving lower model electronics all of the same features as the higher-level versions. Even if the higher model camera has better glass, image quality, etc., the fact that the lower model looks similar on paper will cannibalize the sales. I have talked to the manufacturers enough to realize this is a major dilemma. And for shops as well. A lot of instruments are practically loss leaders.

Bruce built an incredible brand. I can understand where the founders absence could cause backlash. I don't necessarily agree, but I get it. Has this made it difficult for Weber? Absolutely. Will they overcome it? I hope so! I would hate to think a lack of community support is what ulitmately kills off Weber Mandolins.

The mandolin market is tough. My niche has always been low to mid tier price ranges. I applaud those that are able to stock a great selection of top tier brands. It is a feat in itself to run any kind of music store, let alone one with such a highly focused niche. Of course this does make it extremely difficult for players to have a chance to compare instruments back to back. I guess it could be worse... At least we are no longer having to order from the Sears or Montgomery Wards Catalog!
    Robert Fear

" - Pete Seeger

Even in the low to mid tier, your inventory level has to make one take pause, and it must be a constant inventory juggle. If you are out of a particular model, people will just click to the next website. Have too many and you have money tied up. And better hope when there is a shortage, the importer looks favorably on you.

I was in a "preferred" Gibson dealer looking for a J 45 vintage. Store didn't have one. I asked when they would. They didn't know. Asked them why XYZ had five. Was told they probably bought ten and went to the head of the line. Tough racket you're in, but you knew that.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

I agree with Robert about the Gallatins and the general excellent quaility of current Webers. Fantastic on all counts.
    Trevor
    Formerly of The Acoustic Music Co (TAMCO) Brighton England now retired.

I like how Weber is taking some what of a scientific approach in building their mandolins. It would be interesting to hear the results in the recordings they’ve made!
    Waterloo WL-M

Blues Mando Social Group - member

Earlier this decade, before the sale, I got to play Weber F’s all the way up the line. Focusing only on tone, I think that Bruce did a great job back then of making each model sound noticeably better than the one below it. Except for the Fern, I also thought that the tone jump matched the price jump. Of course, all of that beauty is in the ear of the beholder.
    still trying to turn dreams into memories