Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Impress Your Friends

Default Impress Your Friends

From a website called "10 Reasons Why You Should Play The Mandolin":

"4. Impress friends and colleagues

Being a mandolin player can be an added bonus for your social life. As not very many people choose the mandolin, it is a great attention stealing asset and a conversation starter. If you take out your mandolin at an event not only will you attract fans and listeners, but you will also be able to impress anyone that needs impressing."

However, the site also tells us, "Because it has fewer strings compared to many other stringed instruments such as the guitar and violin, reading tablature is definitely a lot easier." Hmm... my mandolin has exactly twice as many strings as my violin. Maybe I shouldn't count on impressing "anyone that needs impressing."

(I'm not giving a connection to the site, as I think it may be a click-bait site, with connections to things that you don't really want.)
    Robert Johnson's mother, describing blues musicians:
    "I never did have no trouble with him until he got big enough to be round with bigger boys and off from home. Then he used to follow all these harp blowers, mandoleen (sic) and guitar players."
    Lomax, Alan, The Land where The Blues Began, NY: Pantheon, 1993, p.14.

Default Re: Impress Your Friends

I have no reason to impress anyone cause i can not impress myself.

3. The following members say thank you to slimt for this post:

When I was young took up Banjo to impress the ladies. After a short time I played for the enjoyment of playing, and never impressed any ladies anyway.

I played a few simple notes at a Guitar Center on a mandolin and drew a crowd.
    It wasn't my skill I assure you. I think people are impressed by this instrument.

6. The following members say thank you to BoxCarJoe for this post:

Blog Entries

What was 1-3?
    4 isn't working for me.

8. The following members say thank you to Mark Wilson for this post:

If you want to clear a room, I'm your man.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Br1ck For This Useful Post:

===========

My friends and colleagues are all impressed . . . they find it extremely courageous that I play the mandolin so badly, yet still dare to show my face in public . . .

12. The following members say thank you to MikeZito for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Wilson View Post
    What was 1-3?
    4 isn't working for me.
    Here's the whole thing -- if point 4 doesn't work for me, I'll settle for 6. As for point 3, if you're 66-years old, have arthritic hands, as well as a steel plate in your wrist that limits movement, and never had great manual dexterity to start with, I wouldn't recommend playing a partial G-chord (as I've been doing today), with one finger on the third fret of the E-string and one on the 7th fret of the A-string, as a great way to relieve stress. Seriously, there are good points too (e.g., 2,8.9.10).
    Ranald

-----------

So, you finally want to learn how to play the Mandolin. As a beginner, a mandolin is an excellent option for anyone that is just getting started on their musical journey. You will be happy to know that the mandolin is one of the easiest instruments out there to learn how to play. A mandolin may be a tiny instrument, but you should not let its size fool you because it is also quite powerful. Here are some more great reasons why you should take up the mandolin as your instrument of choice:

10 Reasons Why You Should Learn to Play the Mandolin

1. It is relatively easy

The mandolin is an easy instrument to learn. Because it has fewer strings compared to many other stringed instruments such as the guitar and violin, reading tablature is definitely a lot easier. Depending on the key of the song you are playing, the scale structure will be nicely laid out and easy on the fingerboard which will make it less challenging to master with practice. Generally, stringed instruments with frets such as the guitar, banjo, and mandolin tend to be easier to learn compared to those without such as the violin family.

2. Has a great design

Of all the fretted instruments, the mandolin also has the best design. To start playing a basic scale, a beginner only needs to use 3 fingers; learners start by plucking the bottom string. This technique is not as difficult to master unlike in guitar for example, where standard guitar tuning prevents beginners from playing simple scales that are in order like in the mandolin.

3. Express your creativity and relieve stress levels

Playing the mandolin can help you express your creativity. Having a hard day? A session on your mandolin can make your blues go away. Playing the mandolin has tremendous therapeutic capabilities that can make it easier for you to cope by engaging in a fun activity that allows you to flex your creative musical muscles.

4. Impress friends and colleagues

Being a mandolin player can be an added bonus for your social life. As not very many people choose the mandolin, it is a great attention stealing asset and a conversation starter. If you take out your mandolin at an event not only will you attract fans and listeners, but you will also be able to impress anyone that needs impressing.

5. Learning other instruments made easy

Once you learn how to play the mandolin, learning how to play other instruments, especially stringed ones, will be comparatively straightforward. Anyone that has experience with the violin, for example, can pick up the mandolin and play it well.

The primary starting point of learning how to play the mandolin is figuring out how all the chords and notes work, which requires some form of music theory. There is a wealth of materials out there that can impart knowledge on musical patterns, scales and modes; but the wonderful thing about it all is that all these components also apply to other instruments.

6. It is a brilliant source of income

If you take playing the mandolin seriously, it can be a great way of earning a living. Whether you choose to become a seasonal mandolin player or a performing one, you will be able to earn money and have fun while doing it. When your skills become advanced, you can start to handle an array of genres, which will open more opportunities for you in the music industry.

7. Improve your concentration and memory

When you play the mandolin, there are certain parts of your brain that become stimulated, therefore affecting your muscle and cognitive function and memory. With continued practice, you actually stand a chance of improving your concentration levels and memory. Furthermore, playing the mandolin is a quality and productive way to relax and unwind in today’s busy contemporary world.

8. Versatile

The mandolin is a very versatile instrument because it can fit seamlessly in just about any style of music that you can imagine. Whether you prefer playing bluegrass, eastern European, new age, classical jazz, Caribbean, country or bluegrass, the mandolin family of instruments can be utilized with ease. Regardless of what your personal taste in music is, the mandolin is a wonderful choice.

9. Plays rhythm and melody

The mandolin plays both rhythm and melody, which means that there is no limit as to what you can learn. If you opt to focus on learning a dozen basic chords, you can be able to join any jam session to play rhythms. Learning melody might take a little more time and willingness to practice- it is often a lifelong pursuit for professional musicians.

10. Easy to handle

This may be a little obvious, but mandolins are small and portable, which means that you can move with them from place to place without worrying about straining yourself. The mandolin is lightweight and compact so you can practice it anywhere.

Conclusion

The mandolin is a phenomenal choice of instrument for anyone that want to improve their memory, boost their creativity levels, as well as anyone looking for a fun way to make money. Like any instrument, the mandolin will present its own sets of challenges and might require lots of practice if playing instruments does not come naturally to you. In any case, the mandolin is a rewarding instrument that will engage you while having plenty of fun in the process.
    "I never did have no trouble with him until he got big enough to be round with bigger boys and off from home. Then he used to follow all these harp blowers, mandoleen (sic) and guitar players."

I gave up trying to impress non-musicians when I fell down the rabbit hole of Irish/Scottish trad, which nobody else understands except fellow rabbit-hole divers. It was much easier when I played electric Blues guitar.

"All those songs sound alike!"

Whether or not I might impress my friends is a moot question since I won't be playing for them. However, I have played for my cat, and the best way I can describe that event is to say that she was definitely not impressed.
    We are the music makers,
    And we are the dreamers of dreams

6. It is a brilliant source of income
    anybody?

Actually, they told me the job had been filled.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to farmerjones For This Useful Post:

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

I would not trust anybody who can't count.
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

19. The following members say thank you to Bertram Henze for this post:

The impression I make is in the chair, looks just like the seat of my pants!
    I will admit I have made tens of dollars over the forty some years of taking up this little instrument!
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

Quote Originally Posted by Ranald View Post
    "4. Impress friends and colleagues
    BOTH of my friends are impressed!
    A quarter tone flat and a half a beat behind.

22. The following members say thank you to Austin Bob for this post:

One of the reasons why I picked up mandolin instead of buying a new piano was that I didn't want to impress anyone. Or feel like I should try to, anyway.

Dave Sheets

[QUOTE=farmerjones;1678592]anybody?

I'm invoking the "Fish in a Barrel" rule. . Way too easy to make comments on this one.
    -Dave
    Flatiron A
    Way too many other instruments

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dave Sheets For This Useful Post:

it reads like a school paper: chose a subject and write why it's important.

I, too, loved the idea that it's a great way to make money. and that's it's an easy instrument to play so you can make money faster than some other instruments. if only!
    --------------------------------
    1920 Lyon & Healy bowlback
    1923 Gibson A-1 snakehead
    1952 Strad-o-lin
    1983 Giannini ABSM1 bandolim
    2009 Giannini GBSM3 bandolim
    2011 Eastman MD305

27. The following members say thank you to Randi Gormley for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Randi Gormley View Post
    it reads like a school paper...
    Let's hope it's not a graduate thesis...ya never know these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Randi Gormley View Post

I, too, loved the idea that it's a great way to make money. and that's it's an easy instrument to play so you can make money faster than some other instruments...
    You mean, like...while you do accounting or something?

29. The following members say thank you to catmandu2 for this post:

I like number 6. After playing 50+ years subtracting expenses, instruments, strings, sound equipment, trailer to haul sound equipment, truck to pull trailer, gas to power truck and many other miscellanies expenses I figurebi haven't lost over $10,000.

31. The following members say thank you to Mandoplumb for this post:

impress your friends with the mandolin or banjo. now that's funny I thought that was a sure fired way of getting rid of family & friends by playing the mandolin & banjo.

Blog Entries

"The mandolin is an easy instrument to learn. Because it has fewer strings compared to many other stringed instruments such as the guitar and violin"....

Nothing like advice from a real expert!! A mathematician, to boot....
    Gibson F5 'Harvey' Fern, Gibson F5 'Derrington' Fern
    Distressed Silverangel F 'Esmerelda' aka 'Maxx'
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288
    '39 & '45 D-18's, 1950 D-28.

Quote Originally Posted by almeriastrings View Post
    "The mandolin is an easy instrument to learn. Because it has fewer strings compared to many other stringed instruments such as the guitar and violin"....

Nothing like advice from a real expert!! A mathematician, to boot....
    That’s how one makes bushels of money playing the Mandolin!
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

I recently heard of a new theme bar/tavern where the staff purposely lie to their patrons.
    I found the pretext to be hysterical. This thread has resemblances.

[QUOTE=Ranald;1678546]As for point 3, if you're 66-years old, have arthritic hands, as well as a steel plate in your wrist that limits movement, and never had great manual dexterity to start with, I wouldn't recommend playing a partial G-chord (as I've been doing today), with one finger on the third fret of the E-string and one on the 7th fret of the A-string, as a great way to relieve stress.[QUOTE]

I'm glad everyone found the time to break away from their fans and accountants to respond to this Thread. However, I'm surprised that our more exacting Forum members didn't correct me -- that's a partial C chord, not a partial G. No wonder I was stressed. Ranald

Quote Originally Posted by Ranald View Post
    ... partial G-chord ... third fret of the E-string ... 7th fret of the A-string, ...

... I'm surprised that our more exacting Forum members didn't correct me -- that's a partial C chord, not a partial G. ...
    Or an alternate fingering of a partial G6 chord. Or any number of other possibilities.

38. The following members say thank you to Jess L. for this post:

Ranald