Thread: Getting back in the Mandolin World

Default Getting back in the Mandolin World

For the past year, I have been focusing on playing bass, both in bands and in the studio. This was not something I expected to do. Band leader asked me, "Do you mind playing bass?" I did not even know how it was tuned. Now that my bass playing has a foundation, I have moved back, at least some time to playing mandolin family. A major reason for the shift is that I need to start writing music for my 4th CD. Bass, for me, is not a great writing instrument. Last week, I pulled out all my mandolin family instruments just to hear how they sound, trying to disregard my poor playing, (rusty would be kind). Looking back at last week, I had a few surprises. My funky (in a great way, big body, short neck mandola) Nyberg generated the best tone by far. Not only clean, pronounced and full. Of my mandolins, the Hester was amazing, full and rich. Going in I would have expected my Ellis to be king of the hill. Due to my lack of playing grass any time recently, my playing was not able, at this time, to help emphasize the Ellis' strong points. Tjos will come in time. The Nyberg simply sounded great, even with my less that stellar playing. I realize that this evaluation will change over time. Just thought I would share my experience.
    Tony Huber
    1930 Martin Style C #14783
    2011 Mowry GOM
    2013 Hester F4 #31
    2014 Ellis F5 #322
    2017 Nyberg Mandola #172

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to red7flag For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Getting back in the Mandolin World

Well I may be doing the same thing: I picked up mndln today (for the first time in about 3-4 years) thinking it would be a nice way to go as a second instrument (to accordion) for performing. I havent studied on mndln in many years (as I've been studying up others). So ya it's cool to pick it again. Thinking even maybe treat myself to a new mndln.

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

A friend came over last evening with her banjo and I wound up playing guitar for two hours. I usually fiddle or play mandolin. My wrist told me long into the night that it was not pleased with me. I played it on my lap rather than putting on a strap. Maybe that was what did it...… I definitely need to spend some time with my guitar chops. The D 18 sounded much better than I played it ..…. C'est la Vie. R/
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...

Ha, and I got my fiddle out this morning - I'm going to take both to a restaurant thing I have tomorrow - since I can make my kids carry em <devil horns>. Geez it feels it's been forever - but I think I played a bit of fdl in spring. Maybe I'll remember some tunes..

I'm gittin old.. I'm going to have to take an aspirin : l

Well, I am back on the wagon again myself. I bought a flatiron festival earlier this week after two years of not playing and am ready to start picking again. Right now I'm kicking myself for getting rid of my Gibson, but am excited to be playing again.

===========

I was away from the mandolin for 11 years before I came back to it early last year.

In my case, the old saying is true: 'It's hard to make a comeback when you haven't been anywhere.'

Enjoy, Tony!