Thread: Lafferty Bouzouki

Default Lafferty Bouzouki

Hello,

Last year when I was in Nashville visiting my college (Trevecca) I stopped by Gruhn's Guitars and they had a Lafferty Bouzouki. I was not able to purchase it at that time but I did get to play it and to me it had a wonderful sound. Just wondering if anyone here has a Lafferty and what you can tell me about them.

Thanks

Default Re: Lafferty Bouzouki

Lafferty is a brand name owned by Dennis Vance at The Mandolin Store. In the past these were sourced from multiple builders. I reviewed one of his A style mandolins a few years ago. It was a really nice instrument. He has them listed on his site right now but it says they are out of stock. You might want to give him a call.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

Lafferty octaves and bouzoukis were made by James Wilson of Boise, Idaho. Not sure if Dennis is still commissioning instruments from him at this time. James is a former employee of Dusty Strings in Seattle. They make harps and hammered dulcimers. He still makes pretty much the same instruments under his own brand, Red Valley. The Dusty Strings retail store in Seattle carries them. Gryphon Strings is also a dealer. Or you can buy directly from James. He has a website. Just Google “Red Valley Mandolins”.
    Don

2016 Weber Custom Bitterroot F
    2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

Thanks guys,

For some reason I was under the impression that they were made in Nashville by an undisclosed craftsman. The instrument seemed to be a really nice one for the money considering made in the USA by a fine craftsman.

It appears Dennis has some in stock.

https://themandolinstore.com/product...mahogany-copy/
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

I just picked up a Lafferty octave this summer. Bought it used off the classifieds here. Mine needs some fretwork to get playing well, bit otherwise it's a nice instrument. Mine was definiely made by Red Valley. I exchanged a few emails with them about string gauges and James was very responsive.

It is a nice instrument with a really nice sound. The value proposition is very good, for the price it's a lot of instrument. Mine does need some work (it's used, so that's not a strike against just something to get done) but I wanted to try an octave and it's a great way to play in that space without a huge investment.
    Andrew Frink
    Phoenix Bluegrass, '23 Gibson A Snakehead, Clark octave coming soon