Thread: Trouble following this Whiskey in the Jar rendition

Default Trouble following this Whiskey in the Jar rendition

Hi guys,

Beginner question here, I'm trying to follow this Whiskey in the Jar tutorial by Jesse Ferguson and I'm having a hard time keeping up when he plays the full verse in the last third of the video.

I'm not clear on the rhythm here. When he explains the strum pattern slowly it kind of sounds like a 3/4 waltz rhythm, but then when he speeds up the song is played in a 4/4 rhythm - at least I believe it is - and at times his timing seemks a little wonky to me, but most likely that's just me, since I suck at correct rhythm and get it wrong easily.

So I just wanted to check with you, is he playing it right? (I assume he is.) And the song is supposed to be 4/4, right?

Thanks!

Default Re: Trouble following this Whiskey in the Jar rendition

It’s a waltzy 4/4.

It’s a great song. After hearing Metallica play it, I kind of rock it.

============
    ~Music self-played is happiness self-made
    覧覧覧覧覧
    Loar LM-590
    Kentucky KM-272

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

Hmmm …. feels like a waltz time all the way through to me ….. there are measures with a quarter note followed by two pair of eighth notes and a quarter note one pair of eighth notes then a quarter note ...…. it may actually be 6/8 time which has a fast waltz feel to it..... R/
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...

It sounds like a boom-chucka-chucka. 1 - 2 and - 3 and. Also, you can slow down youtube videos to 3/4 or 1/2 speed. (Click the gear icon under the video)

It's a very confusing video. When he demonstrates the chords and strum pattern slowly, he uses a 3/4 waltz feel. Then when he plays and sings the tune at tempo, he uses a 4/4 strum pattern, the way the song is usually played.

Any backbeat strum pattern will work with this tune. You can use a basic "boom chuck" with emphasis on 2 and 4 for more "drive," or a looser strum with more swing like the way he's playing it. Just keep it in 4/4.

6. The following members say thank you to foldedpath for this post:

Your evaluation of his rhythm is correct. It is him that is the problem. He starts out slow in 3/4, switches to 4/4 when he speeds up, then is not too consistent in his timing once he starts singing. If you try tapping your foot or drumming a beat to it then it becomes obvious where the problem is.

I would not want to practice too much playing along with this except to get general ideas. It will not help you get consistent rhythm.

Confused... or?
    Over the Hudson & thru the woods from NYC

Ditto the foldedpath and CarlM comments.

Just because he sings well and presents with authority doesn't mean that he's a good teacher. Most of the questioning comments here are relected in the comments below the video itself. (The one asking if he "played an additional chord" is because he actually corrected from playing a wrong chord - but still left it in the video.)

There are other videos on the internet!
    - Ed

"Then one day we weren't as young as before
    Our mistakes weren't quite so easy to undo
    But by all those roads, my friend, we've travelled down
    I'm a better man for just the knowin' of you."
    - Ian Tyson

Ah, ok, glad I'm not going crazy

I'm practicing the song just on my own now...

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by CarlM View Post
    Your evaluation of his rhythm is correct. It is him that is the problem. He starts out slow in 3/4, switches to 4/4 when he speeds up, then is not too consistent in his timing once he starts singing. If you try tapping your foot or drumming a beat to it then it becomes obvious where the problem is.

I would not want to practice too much playing along with this except to get general ideas. It will not help you get consistent rhythm.
    Often times players get confused or forget out to play things when they slow them down. Jess played the wrong rhythm when it slowed it down! Just follow the up to tempo playing and you'll be fine.

Often times players get confused or forget out to play things when they slow them down. Jess played the wrong rhythm when it slowed it down! Just follow the up to tempo playing and you'll be fine.
    His uptempo rhythm is inconsistent also when he starts singing. He speeds up and slows down. It would be ok but not outstanding for a youtube performance but not ok for instructional video. At least he is not charging money for it.