Thread: Opinion needed

Default Opinion needed

First want to thank all that helped me on my last about the Collings that my hand does not like. I will be replacing it. I live in an area with very few choices, i played a Weber and i found it more comfortable but i am also seeing Pava Mandolins in my range and I have seen some really nice reviews on them. I know that comfort is a highly subjective thing on every level but would love to hear if anyone has played both of those and found one more comfortable than another. I listened to sound clips of both and they are both good, i would be happy with the sound of either one. Again i know its subjective but would love to hear others’ opinion. Thanks so much this place is a gem

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Default Re: Opinion needed

Quote Originally Posted by Eclectic1 View Post
    I know that comfort is a highly subjective thing on every level but would love to hear if anyone has played both of those and found one more comfortable than another. I listened to sound clips of both and they are both good, i would be happy with the sound of either one. Again i know its subjective but would love to hear others’ opinion.
    I owned both an MT and a Pava simultaneously, and I actually preferred the playability of the Collings. Of course, I like a V-style neck profile. The Pava had the same high build quality but had more of a U-shape to the neck, very full in the shoulders, that was suboptimal for my left hand. Still, I could have been happy with either and satisfied with both, as the brightness of the MT was better for cutting through a mix while the complexity of the Pava was superior for solo play. Instead, I found my Passernig which offers the best of both worlds in one package.
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

3. The following members say thank you to pheffernan for this post:

Em Tee 

Quote Originally Posted by pheffernan View Post
    I owned both an MT and a Pava simultaneously, and I actually preferred the playability of the Collings. Of course, I like a V-style neck profile. The Pava had the same high build quality but had more of a U-shape to the neck, very full in the shoulders, that was suboptimal for my left hand. Still, I could have been happy with either and satisfied with both, as the brightness of the MT was better for cutting through a mix while the complexity of the Pava was superior for solo play. Instead, I found my Passernig which offers the best of both worlds in one package.
    Thanks for that. I was unable to play the V neck. I found the weber neck more comfortable. I need something to hold on to coming from guitar. I have heard nice things about the Pavo but trying to figure out if its got a little more neck to it. I like a c shape I think the most

For me the C-shape of the Pava was the winner for me. I don't like V necks, for me the Pava is wonderfully comfortable to play.
    Rich
    2015 Passernig A5 #76
    2016 Pava Pro A5 #197

I wonder why the guy at the store told me that the pava had a modified v neck ? I think its probably a lower profile. I think that these are really lovely.

I own all 3, a Pava Player, a Collings MT, and a Weber Bitterroot oval. I have very small hands with short fingers, and I find all 3 equally comfortable to play, but as I switch around playing all 3 I just may be used to them. I also play guitar, and find parlor guitars with smaller necks easier for me to play. I prefer a radiused fretboard, but it is not a game-changer for me.

I believe it was after your first thread that I happened to be in Telluride so I dropped in to the music shop to hold a few models in my hands. They are a Collings dealer and had a few models on display. I guess I hadn't thought to much about neck shapes until your post. I started with a Weber and I'm pretty sure that I'll stay with them now.

Quote Originally Posted by LadysSolo View Post
    I own all 3, a Pava Player, a Collings MT, and a Weber Bitterroot oval. I have very small hands with short fingers, and I find all 3 equally comfortable to play, but as I switch around playing all 3 I just may be used to them. I also play guitar, and find parlor guitars with smaller necks easier for me to play. I prefer a radiused fretboard, but it is not a game-changer for me.
    You sound like me with guitars. I have 8. So how different is the Pava from the Weber, or more directly which is the most comfortable for you. I will be doing a lot of chords, lots of barre chords. With there was a Pava that I could visit with down here but it’s slim pickings in this area. I also prefer a small short scale guitar with a low profile small neck on guitar.

Blog Entries

I had 2 Pavas and a MT for a while and the necks didn't stand out to me at the time as noticeably different. TBH I wasn't that neck profile conscious as long as it wasn't 'chunky'.

When the builder of my last mandolin offered to let me play it in the white while he carved the neck to my liking, I went to every music store I could find to educate myself on what worked best for me. I played a lot of profiles. I settled on the Gibson profile for ease of play. After measuring it appeared that the Gibson was slightly more narrow at the shoulders of the fretboard.

When I played a typical V neck I notice the shoulder of the neck at the base of my index finger and that pressure bothered me a little. The thinner Gibson relieved that pressure.

As James was shaving the neck down it reached a point where it was really comfortable and I chose to stop there even tho it was way short of the thin profile I thought I liked. Seems (for me) a little less V and a little more neck works best to not 'feel' the shoulder edge of the fretboard. Also this thicker neck doesn't want to sit as far into my hand V and it's easier to reach across the fretboard with my fingers. (I assumed a smaller neck was required for smaller hands)

My point is - my opinion on neck profiles would be very different if you had asked me when I had only tried one or two mandolins. I think it's a long shot for get to the best answer (for yourself) by asking others. Take a trip to see for yourself. You won't regret it

With there was a Pava that I could visit with down here but it’s slim pickings in this area.
    The pickings are similar here, were even worse when I got started. My strategy was to buy used, appropriately depreciated (70% of replacement). If the instrument works for you, you've saved yourself a couple of hundred dollars. If it doesn't, you can move it along at little to no loss as you continue your search for a keeper. I lost a little on the Collings, actually made a little on the Pava, came out even overall, go to play two fine instruments for a couple of years and gained an education in the process.
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

The pickings are similar here, were even worse when I got started. My strategy was to buy used, appropriately depreciated (70% of replacement). If the instrument works for you, you've saved yourself a couple of hundred dollars. If it doesn't, you can move it along at little to no loss as you continue your search for a keeper. I lost a little on the Collings, actually made a little on the Pava, came out even overall, go to play two fine instruments for a couple of years and gained an education in the process.
    If you can't get to Nashville, this is a fine strategy. Keeping the first while buying the second will give you time with two mandolins. Keep one, get another, until you arrive at your destination. But getting your hands on a bunch at once is still the best. In the end though, I believe it will take a couple of months to really know a mandolin.

Actually the best would be to buy three or four, take them home, then decide over time.

Has anyone done this? Very common in the orchestral string world for dealers to send you instruments for the cost of freight. My daughter did this last year when shopping violas. She had $100k worth of instruments in her house for about $600 freight charges. Bought one for $22k, and spent $500 sending the rest back. Obviously, in that world, no one gets burned, or at least not enough to ruin the system.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

13. The following members say thank you to Br1ck for this post:

In my limited experience, the V neck just isn't designed for barre chords and a squared up hand position. I know from experience - I came from guitar, as well. Sore thumb and a big callus. I think what you'll discover, however, is that, as you start using double stops and playing leads, bluegrass chords keep your hand in the same, more slanted position and are much easier for the chord to break transition. That slanted hand position is what works for the V shaped neck. That said, my MTO and Stiver F have a D and C shape respectively. And I still am barring when I should be chopping; it's a tough habit to break.

I see you are in the same area. I’m a bit north in the West Palm area. Curious how you found the neck on the Pava. Wish you still had it !

I see you are in the same area. I’m a bit north in the West Palm area. Curious how you found the neck on the Pava. Wish you still had it !
    As I posted elsewhere, I found my early Pava to have a U-style neck profile, very full in the shoulders. Perhaps you could persuade Em Tee to give you a go on her Pava?
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

17. The following members say thank you to pheffernan for this post:

You sound like me with guitars. I have 8. So how different is the Pava from the Weber, or more directly which is the most comfortable for you. I will be doing a lot of chords, lots of barre chords. With there was a Pava that I could visit with down here but it’s slim pickings in this area. I also prefer a small short scale guitar with a low profile small neck on guitar.
    Neither one is uncomfortable, I have used both of them in 3 hour jams with no issues, The Weber is more of a "C" shaped neck, and the Pava has more of a modified "V" shaped neck. I play chords mostly in the jams, and at home I play a good bit of classical. Both are equally comfortable on both mandolins (as well as the Collings.) YMMV, but I personally like all 3, and IMHO all are lifetime mandolins that I likely will never "outgrow." You (as has been mentioned) should try both the Weber and Pava and see which you prefer. I too live in a "mandolin desert" and bought all 3 sight unseen and unheard. I did my research, and have been satisfied.

Quote Originally Posted by LadysSolo View Post
    Neither one is uncomfortable, I have used both of them in 3 hour jams with no issues, The Weber is more of a "C" shaped neck, and the Pava has more of a modified "V" shaped neck. I play chords mostly in the jams, and at home I play a good bit of classical. Both are equally comfortable on both mandolins (as well as the Collings.) YMMV, but I personally like all 3, and IMHO all are lifetime mandolins that I likely will never "outgrow." You (as has been mentioned) should try both the Weber and Pava and see which you prefer. I too live in a "mandolin desert" and bought all 3 sight unseen and unheard. I did my research, and have been satisfied.
    a great review, thanks. Interesting that you can appreciate all of them. I have lowered the action a bit on the Collings and that has helped, play all chords with some riffs and I can do little solos ...really little. I have a hard time getting clear barre chords with the v neck because I’m now very conscious of my wrist position, I was not careful and irritated it at the beginning and couldn’t play at all for a few weeks. I think i may just buy the Pava on line and take 2 days to see which of the two are more comfortable. The Weber is really lovely, the only thing I don’t like is the finish on the neck. I really need to take some lessons. I play with people, basically find the chords and jump right in and figure out a few scales and away we go. It’s a fun instrument, at this point i am a hack but i am having fun.