Thread: myth or real -Rover?

Default myth or real -Rover?

Does anyone know for sure about the Rover actually being a Kentucky 600 series with lesser quality wood?I've read that Saga wasn't happy with some of the figured wood and rebranded some as a Rover.Does anyone know for sure.Just curious.I have a Rover f style that i really like.

Default Re: myth or real -Rover?

If the neck is included in that equation I'd wonder why one has a two hole truss rod cover and the other has a three hole cover. I've never heard this but I'm sure that Saga like every other builder in the world keeps their better quality wood for their more expensive models. As Saga seems to have a few factories building their instruments I don't even know if you could find out if they come out of the same location. If you've got a Rover you like just enjoy it.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

Unless I am mistaken (and if I am, I'm sure someone will point that out toot sweet) Kentucky's have a nitrocellulose laquer finish, while Rovers have a polyester finish. Wouldn't that point to a noticeable disparity?
    We are the music makers,
    And we are the dreamers of dreams

I recall this this rumor. The mandolins were not the identical, but I do remember this coming up with the very first RM-75 mandolins. It would only apply to the early Rover RM-75 mandolins (one batch). They have changed factories several times (as have the Kentuckys), so you can't compare one RM-75 to another if there are a few years apart.

For several years the RM-75 was the best F-style at the price point.
    Robert Fear
    http://www.folkmusician.com

"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
    " - Pete Seeger