Thread: Kentucky KM-900

Default Kentucky KM-900

So I bought a used KM-900 from the Cafe and I have to say that I love it! It is by far the best mandolin I have ever owned. I have only had a low end Loar also a Eastman MD-505 and a Washburn Jethro Burns model. However, this Kentucky blows them away. I can not believe how good it sounds. It also stays in tune like a champ. Every time I pick it up to play it I check the tuning but it is already in tune. Thank you to everyone that posted on other threads about how great this thing is.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	129116.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	110.8 KB 
ID:	171235  

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BillyEllison For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Kentucky KM-900

I like mine, bought used it has a few small cracks coming off the F holes, nothing major, not too crazy about thin frets but after a .080/.040 refret (Evo gold) it should be great. The other thing I changed /will change is to Rubner tuners.

Mine came after owning a Loar 300 and a Eastman 505 and 605
    Kentucky km900
    Yamaha piano, clarinet, violin; generic cello;
    a pedal steel (highly recommended); banjo, dobro don't get played much cause i'm considerate ;}

Shopping/monitoring prices: vibraphone/marimbas, rhodes, synths, Yamaha brass and double reeds

I like mine, bought used it has a few small cracks coming off the F holes, nothing major, not too crazy about thin frets but after a .080/.040 refret (Evo gold) it should be great. The other thing I changed /will change is to Rubner tuners.

Mine came after owning a Loar 300 and a Eastman 505 and 605

Ya mine was a little beat up. Nicks and scratches and dings and they also screwed a hole in the back for a strap button. I was apprehensive about buying it for those reasons but I figure aesthetics do not really matter as much as sound quality does. For the price point it was the only time I would ever be able to get into something like this. I paid 650 for it and honestly when you are looking at it the little imperfections are hardly noticeable. I personally like the flat fret board and I also like the small fret wire. It was smaller than i thought it would be though. If this thing is truly modeled after the Loar A5 then I can't help but to wonder if that one has small frets as well. Either way I like it a lot. There is something about playing an instrument that is in its stock form that I really like. Obviously aside from the scooped fretboard extension. I know I will never get to see the really Loar A5 in my life time so if this is as close as i'll get then I will take it. I know that the two do not compare at all in real life but I like the idea of the 900 being somewhat modeled after it. Maybe that is why I like the small frets. I also really like flat fretboards. I had that Eastman and didn't like the radius. This thing is a far better instrument that I need at this point and I am looking forward to growing into it.

Congratulations! Mine is sounding better and better every day it seems!
    2019 Tyler White custom F5 #17
    2012 Huss and Dalton RD-M
    2019 Gann resonator guitar

https://www.youtube.com/user/kinmanknives

Those master series Kentuckys are the bang for your buck champs. If an MD 505 is a 4, the Master Kentuckys rate a 7.5. With the KM 150 so strong in the low end, and the likes of the 900 ruling the midrange, they are a happening company. You need serious coin to better them.

And you got a good deal. Enjoy.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

7. The following members say thank you to Br1ck for this post:

I really enjoy it so far. I just can't believe how much better it is compared to my old mandolins. I am that person that always laughs at the idea of spending thousands of dollars on a mandolin I can think of a million other places to put that money in my life. However, if this mandolin is this nice at this low of a price point than I guess those multi thousand dollar mandolins must be even nicer. Maybe someday when i'm retired and the kids are out of the house i'll upgrade to an Ellis or Collings or something like that. I live not far from both companies so maybe I will take a trip up to try them out. To be honest though my dream is to build mandolins. If I become a luthier I will definitely have to check out higher end models though so I have something to compare to.

Blog Entries

Congratulations on a great choice. That is a pro level instrument and looks fantastic!
    2014 BRW F5 #114
    2022 Kentucky KM 950 Master Model

YouTube Original Recording of My composition "Closer Walk"

I bought a 900 as a backup and beater to take camping etc, problem is it's so close in sound and playability to my Dearstone that I hesitate to use for a beater so I guess I'll have to convince the better half that I need one more mandolin. After all I only have 6.
    BilliEllison you will have to spend 4 or5 times the price of the 900 to get one significantly better and then you better play it first to be sure.

Sorry for the bad recording but here it is. Also I am not very good so sorry for that also.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZSGVf1j0Zw

12. The following members say thank you to BillyEllison for this post:

geoffa 

Quote Originally Posted by BillyEllison View Post
    Sorry for the bad recording but here it is. Also I am not very good so sorry for that also.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZSGVf1j0Zw
    Sounds great!

So true about spending big bucks to improve on your 900. You will probably never again bump up that much in quality, but there will come a time where you will want to spend the dough for another seven percent increase in tone, or a scroll. or some nice inlay.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1