Thread: Brutal Finger-Eating Tuning Machines!

Default Brutal Finger-Eating Tuning Machines!

Does anyone else have an Eastman mandolin (particularly the MD315f model), That is absolutely brutal on the fingers to tune? a couple of the pegs on mine can feel almost fixed at times! It doesn't affect playability in any way, but tuning is NOT a fun experience haha. Just wondering if this is common to just mine, all eastmans, or many different mandolins. Thanks!
    Just me and my Eastman MD315!
    And we're hungry to learn

Default Re: Brutal Finger-Eating Tuning Machines!

The 300 series use "economy tuners". As you are finding, they stay in tune fine, but can bind under tension. It would be common to any mandolin with similar tuners.
    Robert Fear
    http://www.folkmusician.com

"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
    " - Pete Seeger

Dave Sheets

This page by Frank Ford has been mentioned a number of times on this site, it is really worth a look at his discussion on lubricating and adjusting tuners-

http://www.frets.com/FretsPages/Musi...geartune1.html

It helped greatly on my MTO.
    -Dave
    Flatiron A
    Way too many other instruments

Thanks for this link! I'm gonna drown them in oil next change I get.

Don't drown them in oil. Buy some tri-Flow and just put a drop or two of it on the gears.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to George R. Lane For This Useful Post:

Doc IvoryJRG 

I have an Eastman MD305. I lubricated the tuners on mine but it didn't make much difference. After much frustration with difficult tuners I bought a set of fairly low cost Rubner tuners and replaced the original cheaper ones. Pure joy. I also strung my Eastman with "Straight Up Strings" (NFI). Even more joy.
    Cheers

8. The following members say thank you to David Kennedy for this post:

They are low ratio tuners, no lube will fix that. It was the first thing I changed on my Eastmans (along with the strings).

I replaced them on mine with higher ratio tuners and no problems after that, see my sig for the model.
    Davey Stuart tenor guitar (based on his 18" mandola design).
    Eastman MD-604SB with Grover 309 tuners.
    Eastwood 4 string electric mandostang, 2x Airline e-mandola (4-string) one strung as an e-OM.
    DSP's: Helix HX Stomp, various Zooms.
    Amps: THR-10, Sony XB-20.

10. The following members say thank you to kurth83 for this post:

Your strings might be binding in the nut slots (as well as issues due to cheap tuners).
    Pete Braccio

"The Rules: Play nice and don't run with scissors"
    http://www.braccio.me
    Check out my web site for:
    Jack Tottle music files
    BBC Virtual Session files
    O'Neill's PDFs
    ITM Tunebooks, and more

For a great sounding and playing mandolin, the tuners on the Eastman 300 series are the weak spot. You can find better for $50-$70. I'd do that and keep the stamped tailpiece.
    Gotoh are good.
    I believe you need what is called "worm-under" where the worm gear is below the shaft gear.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Gotoh-M...-/361494493355

If Gotoh Tuners will fit an Eastman,go for a set of the MF40 ("F" Style) style. I have Gotoh MA40's ("A" style) on my Ellis & they work superbly well. They're not expensive,but they ARE good. They're available in a Gold finish as well,
    Ivan
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gotoh MF40 Tuners.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	54.9 KB 
ID:	171261
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Kelsall View Post
    If Gotoh Tuners will fit an Eastman,go for a set of the MF40 ("F" Style) style. I have Gotoh MA40's ("A" style) on my Ellis & they work superbly well. They're not expensive,but they ARE good. They're available in a Gold finish as well,
    Ivan
    The Gotoh do fit, but you need the MF40R to get the worm-under gearing

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s-l400.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	11.0 KB 
ID:	171264

15. The following members say thank you to colorado_al for this post:

Thanks for the info and recommendations. And it was a bit of a joke (albeit a dumb one) about drowning them in oil. I don't intend on actually applying that much haha.

If you do decide to order new tuners measure the distance center to center between the posts. Modern tuners are .906" (23.01mm) center to center on the posts. As has been pointed out you also need to know if they are worm over or worm under.

For some reason some less expensive tuners have been made with odd sized post spacing
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

18. The following members say thank you to MikeEdgerton for this post:

Pay attention to the ratio, Eastman factory was 14:1 ratio when I bought mine. The Grovers are 18:1, I think most of the improvement is because of the better ratio.

If you replace with another 14:1 ratio tuner (The Gotoh's are 14:1) you won't experience much improvement.

In the comments here you will find someone who used them as a drop-in replacement for his MD550:
    https://www.amazon.com/Grover-Profes.../dp/B0050OFVD2

Like him I also took the easy way, did not replace bushings, and I did not drill any new holes, just used the ones that fit, makes it the easiest install ever (only slightly worse than a string change).
    Davey Stuart tenor guitar (based on his 18" mandola design).
    Eastman MD-604SB with Grover 309 tuners.
    Eastwood 4 string electric mandostang, 2x Airline e-mandola (4-string) one strung as an e-OM.
    DSP's: Helix HX Stomp, various Zooms.
    Amps: THR-10, Sony XB-20.

20. The following members say thank you to kurth83 for this post:

As it happens I think I might know what's wrong. It's essentially an adjustment issue. Has anyone loosend the screws that hold on the tuning keys? If you could post a picture of the back of the mandolin head I think I could tell you for sure. If I'm right you can fix it in about 10 minutes with a Phillips screwdriver.

Adrian Minarovic

Quote Originally Posted by randy_jiner View Post
    As it happens I think I might know what's wrong. It's essentially an adjustment issue. Has anyone loosend the screws that hold on the tuning keys? If you could post a picture of the back of the mandolin head I think I could tell you for sure. If I'm right you can fix it in about 10 minutes with a Phillips screwdriver.
    The screws are not there for adjustment, they are there to hold the cog on the post and shoul be tight or the screw can fall out with vibrations and get lost... If loosening the screw helps this is indication that the posts are forced into angle by improper installation and the cogs and posts bearing surfaces bind against the tuner plate. Loosening opens the space and temporarily helps, but it is not solution for other problem because using the tuners in such condiditon will eventually (often within year) wear the cog teeth because misalignment of worm/cog. Your new replacenment tuners may break prematurely if the problem was with the holes and was not fixed.
    Adrian