Thread: A good challenge for a hungry beginner?

Default A good challenge for a hungry beginner?

I began playing mandolin just a few days ago. I am hoping someone can point me to a good bach book or any sort of classical mandolin solos that are somewhat complex, so I can struggle through them and get better. I want something that is in no way easy! but also I'm obviously not up to playing 32nd note runs or anything haha. If anyone knows any good compromise between too difficult and too easy, it would be greatly appreciated!
    Just me and my Eastman MD315!
    And we're hungry to learn

Default Re: A good challenge for a hungry beginner?

Mel Bay carries a book by John Goodin, Telemann for Mandolin. (Or something similar—it's in another room, and I'm too tired and lazy to get up and go make sure!) It has a lot of pieces in it: all sorts of tempos, key signatures, time signatures, levels of difficulty. Some of the little minuets are simple, some of the other pieces are much more substantial. No matter where you're starting from you'll find pieces in there that will fit. Here's the link: https://www.melbay.com/Products/2208...-mandolin.aspx

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Louise NM For This Useful Post:

You may have a look at what astute-music offers.
    They have an e-book called Favourite Mandolin Solos from the 18th Century
    that contains pieces by Telemann, Bach and by lesser known composers such as Lecce and Sauli.
    https://www.astute-music.com/store/p...century.html#/
    Don't let the video with Alison Stephens that is shown as an example make you afraid, there are some pieces in this book, that are quite playable, e.g. some rather easy movements from Bach's cello suites:

5. The following members say thank you to crisscross for this post:

Thank you both! These are both exciting options That I will check out.
    Just me and my Eastman MD315!
    And we're hungry to learn

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ImTheMan_do View Post
    I began playing mandolin just a few days ago. I am hoping someone can point me to a good bach book or any sort of classical mandolin solos that are somewhat complex, so I can struggle through them and get better. I want something that is in no way easy! but also I'm obviously not up to playing 32nd note runs or anything haha. If anyone knows any good compromise between too difficult and too easy, it would be greatly appreciated!
    I might recommend exercises. Scales and arpeggios. The reason being they help with everything, not just the tune you are pursuing. And it is expected that you take such exercises at your own pace, where as some tunes really sound lame or not even tuneful at too slow a pace.

I really like the exercises in these two books, in part because they are excellent, and in part because, unlike many exercise books, the books have tab as well as notation, so you have no question as to what is intended.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sweepstakesmandolinstudies.jpg 
Views:	153 
Size:	30.0 KB 
ID:	171282  
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

8. The following members say thank you to JeffD for this post:

Don't limit yourself to music written or arranged for mandolin. Violin music works very well. The "Anna Magdelena Bach Book" is written for piano, but you can just play the treble clef part. The same is true for a lot of piano music. I have a young student that has learned the treble part of two Clementi "Sonatinas". They are mostly scale passages and sound great.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to David L For This Useful Post:

Don't limit yourself to music written or arranged for mandolin. Violin music works very well. The "Anna Magdelena Bach Book" is written for piano, but you can just play the treble clef part. The same is true for a lot of piano music. I have a young student that has learned the treble part of two Clementi "Sonatinas". They are mostly scale passages and sound great.
    That's absolutely true! If you play the melody voice of a piece, you can play almost anything:
    Renaissance Lute songs:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pK1b96NqshE
    Baroque piano minuets: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1uiFD0315Fg
    Classical era horn duets: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJnLucSToAc
    Romantic era orchestra works: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzYutys6Bq0
    Catalan folk songs associated with Classical guitar: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nAsyLlQ5Rqk
    National anthems: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Xy8zTs1Cew
    And so on... Some of them may sound more interesting, when played alone, while others may shine more with accompanimment.
    But for example, the pieces from the Anna Magdalena Notebook are instantly recognizable, and as such worth being played on the mandolin.

12. The following members say thank you to crisscross for this post:

Sheri Mignano Crawford Mandophile's Avatar

I'm going to chime in--probably shouldn't but here goes: Get a Teacher!
    I feel that if you row your own boat without a rudder, you will learn very little about how to properly execute the technically demanding aspects. Even the so-called simple pieces may sound good to you but may be lacking in so many ways. Good Luck with your studies and I hope you'll include a teacher who can guide you and make suggestions based on your ability, available time for study etc.

14. The following members say thank you to Mandophile for this post:

I agree with Sheri above. Get yourself a teacher to guide you esp before you develop bad habits.

Also: here is another book of challenging solos arranged by virtuoso player Carlo Aonzo.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jim Garber For This Useful Post:

Sheri Mignano Crawford Mandophile's Avatar

The degradation of great mandolin playing can't be blamed entirely on Sears Roebuck but that attitude is directly responsible for many mandolinists being led astray by advertising gimmicks. A great teacher will save you frustration, time and energy mispent by reading this nifty little worthless books and thinking you'll come out the other end fully equipped.
    It can't be said enough that a qualified mandolin teacher is worth his/her weight in gold.
    Note the cover message:
    "without notes or teacher" This is where the trouble begins; all that time wasted on learning TAB when you could be a literate musician.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sears-Robuck-downfall.jpg 
Views:	159 
Size:	144.7 KB 
ID:	171715