Thread: just saw Carlo Aonzo Trio in Pittsburgh

Default just saw Carlo Aonzo Trio in Pittsburgh

Amazing virtuosity,Carlo and his bandmates . They sound even better (to me) than when I saw them a year ago! How can that even be possible..?! Definite bucket list show.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tomando For This Useful Post:

Default Re: just saw Carlo Aonzo Trio in Pittsburgh

Tomando, that must have been a long drive to see them from Long Beach, CA to Pittsburgh.

For those in the greater New York City area/Hudson Valley, etc. The Trio is performing in the greater New York City area/Hudson Valley this Friday, September 21.

Carlo Aonzo Trio - "A Mandolin Journey"

Friday, September 21 - 7:30pm – 10:00pm

Tompkins Corners Cultural Center will present the Carlo Aonzo Trio, featuring Mr. Aonzo on mandolin, Lorenzo Piccone on guitar & vocals, and Luciano Puppo on double bass.

Their presentation of A Mandolin Journey is a brilliant, bold and adventurous concert of a broad range of music - not only from their Italian roots, but also American and European ethnic and jazz compositions from David Grisman to Jethro Burns, Jacob do Bandolim and more.

Aonzo says, "Often the mandolin has traveled in 3rd class, accompanying immigrants through seas and continents, inside cardboard suitcases to unknown lands. But wherever it landed it made its new dwelling by cleverly integrating with the local culture. This is confirmed by the different shapes and tunings that it took up within the various musical genres that welcomed it.

"We present the Italian mandolin’s journey in its various traditional, renewed and reinvented aspects; a modern melting pot of music and culture. A musical map, sailing off from the strong foundations of our tradition towards other interesting and unexpected sonorous routes."

Suggested donation is $20, students and seniors $15.

For Tickets

Tompkins Corners Cultural Center
    729 Peekskill Hollow Road
    Putnam Valley, NY 10579

Google Maps
    Last edited by Jim Garber; Sep-19-2018 at 11:33am.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Registered User Michael Neverisky's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Carlo will also be in New Hampshire this Saturday, 9/22 at the Blasty Bough Brewing Company.

Jim, I flew. and boy were my arms tired..

He was in Asheville two weeks ago, kinda blows up the whole theory of what's required for a mandolin to sound exceptional.