Thread: New mandolin and selfmade accessories

Default New mandolin and selfmade accessories

So, this is a sort of an addendum to my previous thread where I asked about buying a new mandolin ...

Long story short, I ended up getting the Loar LM-500 from folkmusician. Initially, when the instrument arrived (which was in May), I had somewhat mixed feelings about it ... a minor issue was there seemed to have been some small scratches inside the curl, which later turned out to mostly be just residue from some kind of a polishing agent that eventually wiped off.

Another thing is that I'm having a hard time hearing the difference from my previous $80 cheap mandolin. I mean when I really pay attention and try, the Loar does sound better, its tone is sweeter, less coarse. At the same time, though, it seems a littlebit quieter. Don't get me wrong, the new on is a beautiful instrument and eg. the tuners are way better compared to the cheap one. I guess I just had expected the sound to be more different. In retrospect I'm glad I didn't go for a more expensive mandolin than the Loar one, as it seems the quality would be lost on me

In any case, I ended up liking the new one despite some doubts, it's very nice to hold and play.

Ok, so the rest of the post is just a load of bragging on my part :D My playing got better since I last posted here, if I say so myself, and my fingers no longer hurt (not nearly as much, anyway). Over the summer there were about 5 opportunities to play and sing campfire songs with a group of friends, usually with other people playing guitars, banjos or ukes as well and I was thrilled to discover that each time I was able to participate more. My latest achievement just last weekend is to play and sing a folk song at the same time which I never managed before...

I also made myself a bunch of accessories along the way. The latest one is a hand-woven strap made during a medieval-themed summer camp a few weeks ago:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	strap-1.jpg 
Views:	197 
Size:	1.60 MB 
ID:	171204 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	strap-2.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	666.7 KB 
ID:	171205
    It's made of 36 fairly thick threads arranged in a simple pattern. I was really surprised how well it turned out (at least as my impression goes) as I'm not experienced in weaving very much

Another one is a 3D printed pick that I designed after one borrowed from a guitarist. It is made of a flexible/bendable material, which I found out I like:

Name:	pick-1.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	229.8 KB 
ID:	171206 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pick-2.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	149.9 KB 
ID:	171207

The next one is also 3D printed and I actually made this one a while ago. It's a makeshift action gauge. Basically it has a sloped blade with a defined thickness at each step. The measurement is done by sticking it under a string and seeing which notch is the last to fit.

Name:	gauge-1.jpg 
Views:	193 
Size:	800.1 KB 
ID:	171208 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gauge-2.jpg 
Views:	157 
Size:	786.1 KB 
ID:	171209

Last one is a wooden hanger on which I hang my mandolin. I'm a bit hesitant to share this one, I made it in a bit of a hurry and it's very rough around the edges... But I guess as long as it serves its purpose, it's ok...

Name:	hanger.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	258.0 KB 
ID:	171210

What's next? I'm not sure. I read the forums every one and then and I keep being amazed. Meanwhile, I suppose I'll just keep practicing & playing...
    If you know of a folk mandolinist whom you like and who posts to youtube or similar, I'll be glad if you share, I'll welcome an inspiration Cheers!

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vojtechkral For This Useful Post:

Default Re: New mandolin and selfmade accessories

Nice strap, and it looks good on the hanger. I think the inevitable comment that's going to come is: when are you going to 3D print a whole mandolin, and will it be a step up from the Loar...?
    "What's that funny guitar thing..?"

4. The following members say thank you to Tim N for this post:

That action gauge is pretty neat.

I'm diggin' the action guage too! …. Just an observation here, but I noticed you stated your pick is made of a 'flexible' material. I have a 'The Loar' 600 (which I like), but seems barely audible with thinner picks, maybe try some of 1.0 (or heavier); Prime Tones, Ultex, et. al. are reasonably priced and produce fairly decent volume, or if you have a hankering (dare I say), try a BC...… A CA bridge, J74's (or equivalent) and a good set up will make huge difference in sound and playability in comparison with factory set up.

Enjoy making it your own!

JMTCW
    2014 Gibson 'Harvey' F5G
    1917 Gibson F2
    2013 'The' Loar LM600VS
    2013 Morgan Monroe 4FJ
    Blue Chip Picks
    The Scallywag Social Club

7. The following members say thank you to KGreene for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Tim N View Post
    Nice strap, and it looks good on the hanger. I think the inevitable comment that's going to come is: when are you going to 3D print a whole mandolin, and will it be a step up from the Loar...?
    As a matter of fact, a colleague of mine printed a whole ukulele a while ago ... it's functional, but the sound is, uh, well, a bit plastic

Quote Originally Posted by KGreene View Post
    maybe try some of 1.0 (or heavier); Prime Tones, Ultex, et. al. are reasonably priced and produce fairly decent volume
    Ah, they seem have those in a local shop, I'll try one of those out. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by KGreene View Post
    A CA bridge, J74's (or equivalent)
    What's that? Sorry I'm not up to date on many of the mandolin acronyms

CA bridge is a bridge made by Cumberland Acoustics of higher quality/better wood the the stock The Loar bridges. J74's are medium gauge strings by D'Addario.

10. The following members say thank you to Willem for this post:

I have to agree with KGreene - 'Bendy' picks usually don't give much volume. They 'bend' rather than pick & usually the material gives a 'soft' sound anyway. Back when i was working,i was the principal production engineer in an aircraft company's ''Plastics'' dept. ( we also manufactured f/glass & carbon fiber components). I had access to dozens of different 'plastics', & i tried many of them as pick materials,& none of them were any good,especially the softer,more flexible ones.

Going off my personal experience,i'd most definitely try a few types of Dunlop 'Primetone' picks. They come in 2 types of the same material,& in different shapes & thicknesses. See here :- https://www.harmonycentral.com/exper...ulpted-plectra
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Cool stuff! I would be a bit concerned about hanging the mando by just the strap. I bet you could make a hanging that has 2 prongs to grab the headstock at the sides of the nut instead and not have to rely on the strap. Just in case something comes loose...
    Drew
    2020 Northfield 4th Gen F5
    2022 Northfield NFS-F5E
    2019 Northfield Flat Top Octave
    2021 Gold Tone Mando Cello
    https://www.instagram.com/pilotdrew85

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Drew Egerton For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Willem View Post
    CA bridge is a bridge made by Cumberland Acoustics of higher quality/better wood the the stock The Loar bridges. J74's are medium gauge strings by D'Addario.
    Gotcha! I actually have D'Addario EJ73 ... I think that's the same except light.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Egerton View Post
    ...I would be a bit concerned about hanging the mando by just the strap...
    Amen.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

16. The following members say thank you to allenhopkins for this post:

Heh, honestly, the strap is probably more durable than the hanger itself It's made of soft wood (paulownia) and is pretty thin around the screw.

I like the idea of a prongs-style hanger, however I'm out of raw wood for the time being and it's been kind of harder to acquire where I live currently...