Thread: Weird Intonation Problem

Default Weird Intonation Problem

Hey guys I've noticed that my intonation is slightly off. The problem is, it's only my D string. I don't understand this? My G string sounds fine. Could the G be off as well, but it's just harder to hear because it's lower? Or is there some bigger issue? Should I move that side of the bridge even though the G string seems okay?

Default Re: Weird Intonation Problem

The compensation on a mandolin bridge is meant to be a generic compromise. It will always be off somewhere. Even if you cut the bridge intonation for a specific set of strings at a specific action, it will still be off somewhere on the fingerboard.

That said, you can still optimize your intonation. Short of recutting the bridge, make sure your action, and relief are where you want it, then move the bridge for the best compromise in the range of the fingerboard where you pay the most. Check up and down the fingerboard, not just at the 12th fret (where you play a small percentage of the time). If you do not typically play above the 7th fret, intonate it as close as possible in that range.
    Robert Fear
    http://www.folkmusician.com

"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
    " - Pete Seeger

Teacher, repair person

Default Re: Weird Intonation Problem

If the fretted notes on your D string are sharp and the other strings are ok, have a luthier check the mandolin over to ensure that the D string nut slots are deep enough.