Thread: Type of Glue for Pickguard Repair

Default Type of Glue for Pickguard Repair

Howdy folks. My abbreviated pickguard/finger rest needs a minor repair, and I just want to check to see what kind of glue I should use.

As you can see from the pictures, the small strip of black material has come loose from the tortoise colored main piece towards the end, and one pin has fallen out. I've inserted a piece of paper where it needs to be re-glued to make it easier to see.

So, what kind of glue should I use? I'm thinking super glue (cyanoacrylate) would be fine, but I just want to check so as not to mess it up and have to buy a new one.

Also, should I try to take the two pieces completely apart, clean and re-glue, or just try to squirt a bit of glue in the crack and clamp them together?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PG2.jpg 
Views:	158 
Size:	212.8 KB 
ID:	171180Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PG1.jpg 
Views:	157 
Size:	256.9 KB 
ID:	171181

Thanks!
    A quarter tone flat and a half a beat behind.

Default Re: Type of Glue for Pickguard Repair

The stuff i have at home is about the best you can get. Ill get the name of it and post after work.

3. The following members say thank you to slimt for this post:

What is the strip of stuff? Is it carbon fiber? If it came from Cumberland Acoustic, it might be.
    Epoxy is the best adhesive for CF, but CA will probably work fine. Since that is not really a stressed joint, I suspect simply wicking some thin CA into the separation will do it. It must be done with a certain amount of care to avoid getting the CA on surfaces where it is not wanted.
    Before replacing the pin, it might be a good idea to relieve the hole a little so that the pin is not working as a wedge to separate the glue joint once again.

5. The following members say thank you to sunburst for this post:

Blog Entries

I had one of the ebony ones to pop off the base. The builder (ellis) recommended insta-cure ca.

7. The following members say thank you to Mark Wilson for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by sunburst View Post
    What is the strip of stuff? Is it carbon fiber? If it came from Cumberland Acoustic, it might be.
    Epoxy is the best adhesive for CF, but CA will probably work fine. Since that is not really a stressed joint, I suspect simply wicking some thin CA into the separation will do it. It must be done with a certain amount of care to avoid getting the CA on surfaces where it is not wanted.
    Before replacing the pin, it might be a good idea to relieve the hole a little so that the pin is not working as a wedge to separate the glue joint once again.
    Thanks John. It's hard to be certain what the strip is made of, I suspect it's some sort of hard plastic, but I'm not sure. I heated up a brad nail on the stove and tried to melt a hole on the back, and only made a tiny impression. But I am able to take a razor and cut it easily.

Quote Originally Posted by Austin Bob View Post
    Thanks John. It's hard to be certain what the strip is made of, I suspect it's some sort of hard plastic, but I'm not sure. I heated up a brad nail on the stove and tried to melt a hole on the back, and only made a tiny impression. But I am able to take a razor and cut it easily.
    Sounds like it could be carbon fibre, then. John's suggestion would be mine too.
    I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order. - Eric Morecambe

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheOldBores

10. The following members say thank you to John Kelly for this post:

Update:

I decided that no matter what type of glue I used, I would be difficult to get it into the crack, so I decided to separate the two pieces, which was easy enough to do with a thin knife. I sanded off all the glue residue, and yes, the black piece looks to be carbon.

I used some CA and glued the pieces back together. In retrospect, I should have put the pins in place first, because lining up the holes on the two pieces was tough, but miraculously enough, the pins went back in the holes.

I only managed to glue my thumb and forefinger together once, so I consider this a success. If it breaks again, I'll probably get a new one, but this was worth a bit of glue to try.

Thanks for the assist guys.

It doesn't look like Carbon to my eyes. When cut,the edges of CF will show the tiny ends of the fibers. It's also expensive compared with other materials. I suspect that it's Ebony,which would make more sense. Drilling into the edge of a thin Carbon lay up, might itself separate the laminates - however,i might be wrong.

Re.the adhesive,personally i'd have used a fast setting (5 minutes) 2-pack Epoxy adhesive. That way you get a chance to align the 2 pieces before the adhesive sets hard. Sometimes with Super Glue,you only get one chance !,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Adrian Minarovic

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Kelsall View Post
    Re.the adhesive,personally i'd have used a fast setting (5 minutes) 2-pack Epoxy adhesive. That way you get a chance to align the 2 pieces before the adhesive sets hard. Sometimes with Super Glue,you only get one chance !,
    Ivan
    There are slow cure CA glues or gels that cure a bit slower. Like Loctite "60second" glue... But with some practice it is easy to keep the parts aligned. Harder part is keeping the squeeze out to minimum without creating mess. (masking and use just the right amount of glue)
    Adrian

14. The following members say thank you to HoGo for this post:

Well, the CA didn't hold. I was putting new strings on last night, and it fell off. It had separated almost the exact same way at the front pin.

I bought some clear epoxy and very carefully applied it after cleaning off the CA, then clamped it with some mini binder clips you find at the office supply store. This appears to be very stable, and only cost $5, so it was worth it.

You may have to find a old nitro guard to make a strip from. When i read you were using a carbon fibre strip i knew the glue i use would not work thats why I did not proceed with the name of the product i use. I had a F4 that had the back strip off of the main guard. I used this glue and it stuck like crap to a goose. That was 5 years ago and its still holding strong.