Thread: First Mando! Need Setup Advice.

Default First Mando! Need Setup Advice.

I bought my first mandolin yesterday. It's an Eastman MD315 f, and it seems great so far. I should mention it's used, but in a like new condition. Intonation is great out of the box. It has a surprisingly warm sound with good sustain. It came with coated phosphor bronze strings in the case. I haven't changed the strings yet, still using the old ones. But I don't really know what to do now. The action seems good, but I have no experience so it may not actually be. It buzzes when I don't press down pretty hard, but this could just be from weak fingers that I need to strengthen. I'm new to my area and the local music shop seems good and they stock multiple mandolins, but I have no experience with them so far. Can I trust them to give me a good set up for my money? Is it worth it? Thanks for any help, sorry for the long post.

Default Re: First Mando! Need Setup Advice.

The key to getting a clean sound is not trying to push the string through the fingerboard. If you press the string to the back of the fret just before dead center you will get a clean sound. Light pressure is all that is needed. Watch the really good players most have a pretty light touch, they need to to play that fast. You will wear frets faster pressing hard, I learned the hard way. Try to keep both hands loose, you can play easier and faster and not get as tired.
    Check out the shop and get a feel for them, start with buying some strings and picks. Having a good shop or luthier and a good relationship would be very beneficial. If you let people know where you are you could ask for suggestions for someone who does setups.
    Congrats on the new mandolin.

Did you end up getting one of the ones from the earlier thread you posted? Just curious how that all turned out.

Quote Originally Posted by Seter View Post
    Did you end up getting one of the ones from the earlier thread you posted? Just curious how that all turned out.
    I did! I got the $350 Eastman MD315 f that was in that post. I am incredibly happy with this choice so far!

Quote Originally Posted by Northwest Steve View Post
    The key to getting a clean sound is not trying to push the string through the fingerboard. If you press the string to the back of the fret just before dead center you will get a clean sound. Light pressure is all that is needed.
    So if it buzzes without heavy pressure the action is probably too low? or at least not optimal in some way? Also I'm in middle putnam county Tennessee in case anyone knows any great shops around.

Quite a few people here recommend this mandolin setup book by Rob Medlum.........

http://jazzmando.com/tips/archives/002490.shtml

NFI
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

The Rob Meldrum book is great. A simple test that I use to check the action is to put the pick between the strings and the second and the third fret. If it stays there then the action is right, for me at least! Your preference may be different but it’s a good starting point. If it falls out I’d say the action is too high.

Get the Rob Meldrum book and follow the step by step instructions. Won't cost you more than twenty bucks for tools. Could be your mandolin is already set up. You chose well.

Eastman does a good job fitting the bridge, but check it out anyway.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

Thanks guys! Good info

Do you get any buzzing with open strings? If not you may not be cleanly fretting the strings. You could also have a high fret or two?

It doesn't buzz on open notes haha. I must not be cleanly fretting. Although I don't understand yet how to cleanly fret without pressing hard. It will come with practice I suppose. And Once I find a good place around here I'll have it checked out by a pro.

It could also mean that you have to adjust the truss rod. If it has a slight hump, that can cause fret buzzing.
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

My mando-virgin eyes see no hump, but that doesn't mean there isn't one!