Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Am I crazy?!?

Default Am I crazy?!?

Hello everybody! New guy here...First let me say that I have visited this site and the forums for a very long time, and the knowledge and information I have received from you all is unbelievable! I appreciate the folks who share their knowledge and also the folks who make this website work.

So here is my deal...just recently something crazy happened. I have owned several cheap mandolins though the years...The loars, Michael Kelly’s, Morgan Monroe’s, etc. I recently acquired a Weber Gallatin F. I thought this would be the last mandolin I ever purchased. It was easily the most expensive mandolin I’ve ever owned, and the fit and finish were immaculate. It also sounded better than anything I’d ever owned. Fast forward 6-8 months I decided I wanted a decent back up for camping and so forth. So I purchase a used Eastman Md 315. And here’s what it gets crazy.

When I received the Eastman I could not believe it, it sounded just as good or maybe better than my Weber Gallatin! It’s not as well built as the Weber, and the Weber feels more substantial in my hands, but I’m telling you, note for note the Eastman is louder, sounds as good, and plays just as easy. Now I’m thinking about selling this Weber and possibly looking at some higher end Eastman’s. Has anything like this ever happened to anyone else? Am I crazy? Really would like to hear your opinions on this!

2. The following members say thank you to kymandopicker for this post:

Mediocre but OK with that Paul Busman's Avatar

Default Re: Am I crazy?!?

You're not crazy. The sound of an instrument is highly subjective. I spent an afternoon in Elderly Music once playing every mandolin on the wall and was surprised at how many vintage and/or high end mandolins didn't feel or sound that great to my taste, and how many lesser priced ones sounded terrific.
    First,you might want to get a good mandolin player to play both of your instruments for you so you can see what they sound like from up front.
    A higher end Eastman might or might not sound or play as good as the one you have-- again it's subjective.
    Hang onto both for a while if you can afford it. Play them both often and see if your opinion changes.
    For wooden musical fun that doesn't involve strumming, check out:
    www.busmanwhistles.com
    Handcrafted pennywhistles in exotic hardwoods.

4. The following members say thank you to Paul Busman for this post:

G7MOF 

Registered User Michael Neverisky's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Has anything like this ever happened to anyone else?
    Several times, yes. Sometimes things look good on a spec sheet but just fall short in the real world. Sometimes the most popular thing leaves you cold. A million people can be wrong!

Am I crazy?
    Well, that might be a matter of opinion, but I say no you are not.

6. The following members say thank you to Michael Neverisky for this post:

I just bought a used eastman MD315 yesterday to be my first mandolin, and I must say I am blown away! It's my first mandolin ever, so I don't know much, but from the crappier models that I have played in local music shops and such, it is a huge improvement. It is twice as loud as I expected, the tone is clean and smooth, and the sustain is much greater than I expected. I am so happy with it! And I got it at a great price.

I have a Kentucky 950 and have had a chance to compare it to some really terrific mandolins. It is surprising how well it stacks up. Based on sound alone you would not have to be shy at a jam. The others have better wood and fit and finish. Would be a good one for a blind test.

mandolin slinger Steve Ostrander's Avatar

I spent an afternoon in Elderly Music once playing every mandolin on the wall and was surprised at how many vintage and/or high end mandolins didn't feel or sound that great to my taste, and how many lesser priced ones sounded terrific.
    I've had the same experience as Paul-- at Elderly Instruments no less! (of course I live near Elderly so I'm in there a lot) I've played some instruments by builders whose names get bandied about quite frequently on this forum, and I was underwhelmed.
    One thing I can say for sure is, I've never played a bad Collings or Northfield.

As a rule, the difference is sound quality between a $500 instrument and a $2500 instrument will usually be more apparent than the difference between a $2500 and a $5000 instrument. Also, the fit and finish tend to be better. If you cant tell the difference, buy the cheaper mandolin.

Many times the extra $$ is because it may have more inlay work, binding, exotic tone woods, finishing, or the builders reputation is such that they can command more $$. Many players have reported that their 500-level Eastman sounded better than the 800-level instruments.
    Living’ in the Mitten

How old is the Gallatin? The early ones were built with a mahogany body and were not the loudest of instruments. That might be the reason for the Eastman to sound louder.

Music is a kind of craziness. Much better than the alternative.

Confused... or?
    Over the Hudson & thru the woods from NYC

Count me in! Six or eight years ago, I bought on-line (from now-defunct Mary Davis, I beleive) a Breedlove, theoretically a step nicer than some that I had tried at various times. Good looking (IMHO!) and sounding instrument, but it lacked the woody low end that I found so appealing in my first, and far cheaper, mandolin. With a 3-day window to return it, I sort of panicked and did exactly that. The only reason I don't REALLY regret it was later finding an also-very-nice mid-90s Flatiron. But I did get to play a friend's Breedlove yesterday, reminding me of what was a fairly rash decision.

For comparison & commiseration: Two years ago, I found a used Weber that, at first, seemed way better-sounding than my Flatiron. So I did a side-by-side comparison and could easily hear differences, but not necessarily any change-worthy improvement; SO much is based on our subjective impression, personal taste, and what we're familiar with.

And besides: What YOU hear may not be what your audience hears. F-holes are notorious for projecting forward rather than at the player. Try listening while a friend plays them - you might be surprised.
    - Ed

"Then one day we weren't as young as before
    Our mistakes weren't quite so easy to undo
    But by all those roads, my friend, we've travelled down
    I'm a better man for just the knowin' of you."
    - Ian Tyson

Well, that might be a matter of opinion, but I say no you are not.[/QUOTE]

Michael Neverisky
    LOL! My wife would probably beg to differ!

Quote Originally Posted by George R. Lane View Post
    How old is the Gallatin? The early ones were built with a mahogany body and were not the loudest of instruments. That might be the reason for the Eastman to sound louder.
    The Gallatin is a 2013

The tone of the G string has always struck me as the reason to spend the money for the likes of a Weber. I have not had your experience, but continue trying. I can't hear much difference top to bottom in Eastman's lineup. Now if you were talking Kentucky, the 900 and above is dramatically different and the jump to the Weber level much less, but there none the less.

I'm very happy with my MK for what it is. I play it a lot.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

I don't buy an instrument that I can't play first for that very reason. I have played a $100 mandolin that would put 75% of $1000 mandolins to shame. The $100 was a Rover and I've played several since then that sound like a $100 mandolin. Sometimes there is a bigger difference between two mandolins with the same name on the peg head than between two with different names. Even a blind squirrel finds a nut sometimes.

17. The following members say thank you to Mandoplumb for this post:

I've heard it said that the best sounding eastmans are the satin finished low end and the varnish finish high end eastmans. You got a great sounding 315. Keep it and save for something significantly better if you want a different tone (northfield big mon comes to mind).

I've also heard the satin finish is better. And I love mine.

20. The following members say thank you to ImTheMan_do for this post:

Em Tee 

Quote Originally Posted by EdHanrahan View Post
    Count me in! Six or eight years ago, I bought on-line (from now-defunct Mary Davis, I beleive) ...
    Janet Davis?
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

Confused... or?
    Over the Hudson & thru the woods from NYC

Quote Originally Posted by MikeEdgerton View Post
    Janet Davis?
    Duuh, yeah! FWIW, there is a Mary Davis company in Vermont... whole 'nuther thing!
    - Ed

"Then one day we weren't as young as before
    Our mistakes weren't quite so easy to undo
    But by all those roads, my friend, we've travelled down
    I'm a better man for just the knowin' of you."
    - Ian Tyson

Quote Originally Posted by kymandopicker View Post
    Hello everybody! New guy here...First let me say that I have visited this site and the forums for a very long time, and the knowledge and information I have received from you all is unbelievable! I appreciate the folks who share their knowledge and also the folks who make this website work.

So here is my deal...just recently something crazy happened. I have owned several cheap mandolins though the years...The loars, Michael Kelly’s, Morgan Monroe’s, etc. I recently acquired a Weber Gallatin F. I thought this would be the last mandolin I ever purchased. It was easily the most expensive mandolin I’ve ever owned, and the fit and finish were immaculate. It also sounded better than anything I’d ever owned. Fast forward 6-8 months I decided I wanted a decent back up for camping and so forth. So I purchase a used Eastman Md 315. And here’s what it gets crazy.

When I received the Eastman I could not believe it, it sounded just as good or maybe better than my Weber Gallatin! It’s not as well built as the Weber, and the Weber feels more substantial in my hands, but I’m telling you, note for note the Eastman is louder, sounds as good, and plays just as easy. Now I’m thinking about selling this Weber and possibly looking at some higher end Eastman’s. Has anything like this ever happened to anyone else? Am I crazy? Really would like to hear your opinions on this!
    A higher end ( number) Eastman doesn't necessarily mean it will sound better or play better ! The worse Eastman I ever owned was a 915 ! Play before you buy !

I think the MD315 sounds as good or better than the MD515. Possibly the difference in the finish which seems thinner on the MD315. I had a MD515, and I traded up to a Gibson F5. Sure don't miss the MD515!
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a vet.

Individual mandolins have, well, individuality. You may find a Strad-O-Lin that sounds better than your Gibson F-9 -- at least, to your ears. And Eastman mandolins are good quality instruments (with, again, allowance for individual variation), and it doesn't signify insanity to think an MD 315 could sound comparable to a Weber.

Now, if you'd said your old Michael Kelly sounded better than the Gallatin, I might suggest a visit to a otolaryngologist, perhaps a psychiatrist...nah, it's all a matter of individual instruments, and individual ears.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

26. The following members say thank you to allenhopkins for this post:

The mandolins you mentioned are not "cheap." They may be inexpensive but not cheap. It's all in how you word it, such as "Your child is a hellion but mine is active" or "I'm inquisitive but you're nosy."
    David Hopkins

2001 Gibson F-5L mandolin
    Breedlove Legacy FF mandolin; Breedlove Quartz FF mandolin
    Gibson F-4 mandolin (1916); Blevins f-style Octave mandolin, 2018
    McCormick Oval Sound Hole "Reinhardt" Mandolin
    McCormick Solid Body F-Style Electric Mandolin; Slingerland Songster Guitar (c. 1939)

The older I get, the less tolerant I am of political correctness, incompetence and stupidity.

I really look like that soliver's Avatar

My "first" (not counting the $50 craigslist mando) and current mando is an Eastman MD 305 and I have played the tar out of it for the last 3 years and love the way it sounds. I am ready to upgrade and took a trip to Nashville last weekend to play everything that they had at both Carter's and Gruhn. Carter had a lot of nice stuff and some I was truly impressed with, but I learned from that experience that I loved the tone of my 305 far better than any mandolin on the wall on the first floor of Gruhn Guitars. Similar experience to Paul Busman's experience above at Elderly.

Now when they let me go to the second floor and hang out with George Gruhn himself and try out 3 different Loar signed F5's... thats a different story.

As an aside, there were several Webers at Carters and I really didn't care for any of them. (Except the Octaves).

I have a custom instrument in process with Ken Ratcliff, but I'm unsure what to do with my Eastman... sell to start funding my next venture or keep it for posterity and fondness..... hmmm
    aka: Spencer
    Silverangel Econo A #429
    Soliver #001 & #002: A double stack of Pancakes.

Soliver Hand Crafted Mandolins and Mandolin Armrests
    Armrests Here -- Mandolins Here

"You can never cross the ocean unless you have the courage
    to lose sight of the shore, ...and also a boat with no holes in it.” -anonymous

29. The following members say thank you to soliver for this post:

I own an Eastman 505 that is a great mandolin. Very loud and punchy. I have also worked at a store that sold Eastman mandolins and was always impressed by their instruments. We sold tons of them. I will also agree with the others that their satin mandolins are typically the best sounding. We always were fairly unimpressed with the 615s in comparison to the lower end models. Perhaps the finest sounding Eastman mandolin I ever played was a Md315. It was incredibly loud, like unbelievable.

With that said, loud does not always translate to quality of tone. There are plenty of loud mandolins out there but to me there is so much more to it than just that. The character of the sound and roundness of the notes shouldn't be overlooked. I have no doubt your 315 is impressive, but I can almost guarantee the weber has more refinement that may not always be apparent to every player.

I say keep them for a while and continue to play and listen to them both no need to rush to the next thing when you are happy with the mandolins. Also, I agree that your 315 probably sounds as good or better than any of Eastman's "higher end" models.
    Stiver F5 #366
    Kopp K-35 Braz
    Huss & Dalton TD-M Custom
    1935 Martin 00-17
    HD-28E Retro

My experience is similar, in 1983 I bought a new Kentucky KM1500 "Sumi era". Over the years I wanted to "step up" to a better Mandolin, but found I would have to spend several thousand dollars to actually bet a "better" mandolin. I finally gave up on that and still have the KM1500. That said, before selling you Weber and getting another Eastman you need to play lots of mandolins, you may well find that the Eastman you now have is just special and will remain your "main" mando you with a nice Weber backup. That happens a lot. Good luck!!!
    Last edited by Dave Simmons; Sep-18-2018 at 12:23am. Reason: spelling

I had an experience of setting up a whole batch of Asian-built F5's of the same model. They were made at the same factory and probably on the same day. They were all different. Looked the same, but felt and sounded different. One really stood out and I still have it. So if you like your Eastman that much - do not let it go. Too many people let the instrument go and then have regrets for the years to come. I once had a Harmony Sovereign guitar that I am still missing. Got a few bucks for it but where are they now?

33. The following members say thank you to vic-victor for this post: