Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Am I crazy?!?

Default Re: Am I crazy?!?

Each time I read a thread such as this one I feel better about my own experiences in this regard . I echo the OP's experiences . You have to play these things , I believe . I have a lowly Kentucky and it seems to impress better players than myself .

A few weeks ago, we went to a local acoustic music shop to try out mandolins for our youngest son. He’s 25, and is a good guitarist, having played since his mid-teens. However, the call of the mandolin was proving too hard to resist!

Tried loads of mandolins in the store (mainly Eastmans and Webers) and there was one particular mandolin that simply kicked the butt of every other mandolin in the store. It was an Eastman 305, with the new cast tailpiece. We couldn’t believe it - this particular instrument just had everything going on - volume, woofy chop, rich mids, strong bass and sweet trebles. We were in the shop for a good 3 hours, drinking coffee and trying out loads of instruments and we just kept going back to this one particular 305. We even tried it against a different 305, but this one was “The One”.

We brought it home with us!

Have heard a number of 3xx series Eastman mandolins that I could have happily lived with including a 304 earlier this year that if the other person hadn't purchased it, I would have. Easily as good as my current Gibson oval hole As. And I mean that as no disrespect to my instruments. That Eastman had tone and punch that you don't often hear in an old oval.
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Flatiron 1N, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723

One of the prettiest mandos I ever had I paid 20$ for at a flea-market when I was 12. I needed an f-hole to mount a pick-up to. It was a cheap laminate with a neck mounted a little east of center and a voice like an angel.

I have an Eastman 315 I bought to use as a beater, on clearance at a big box store, with which I’ve been really impressed. It’s loud and has pretty good tone. And, while I prefer a slightly wider nut and larger frets, the neck is well done and comfortable to play. It’s perfect for what I use it for, and sounds great by a campfire or on the beach. But, it doesn’t have the richness/complexity of tone as my Skip Kelley A-5, and the build quality, while very good, doesn’t stack up to the Kelley. When I have them both at home, I always pick up the Kelley, which is why the Eastman now resides in my office when we’re not traveling. 10 years ago I may not have been able to hear the subtle differences that make the Kelley better, but they’re definitely there. Of course, the Kelley cost me 6 times what I paid for the Eastman

All that being said, if the Eastman were my only mandolin (oh, the horror of the thought!!), I think I’d be very happy with it. They’re really putting out some good stuff. FWIW, I’ve played 615, 815, and 915 models that I wouldn’t trade my 315 for, and a couple that I would. Higher number doesn’t always equal better mandolin...
    Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by kymandopicker View Post
    Hello everybody! New guy here...First let me say that I have visited this site and the forums for a very long time, and the knowledge and information I have received from you all is unbelievable! I appreciate the folks who share their knowledge and also the folks who make this website work.

So here is my deal...just recently something crazy happened. I have owned several cheap mandolins though the years...The loars, Michael Kelly’s, Morgan Monroe’s, etc. I recently acquired a Weber Gallatin F. I thought this would be the last mandolin I ever purchased. It was easily the most expensive mandolin I’ve ever owned, and the fit and finish were immaculate. It also sounded better than anything I’d ever owned. Fast forward 6-8 months I decided I wanted a decent back up for camping and so forth. So I purchase a used Eastman Md 315. And here’s what it gets crazy.

When I received the Eastman I could not believe it, it sounded just as good or maybe better than my Weber Gallatin! It’s not as well built as the Weber, and the Weber feels more substantial in my hands, but I’m telling you, note for note the Eastman is louder, sounds as good, and plays just as easy. Now I’m thinking about selling this Weber and possibly looking at some higher end Eastman’s. Has anything like this ever happened to anyone else? Am I crazy? Really would like to hear your opinions on this!
    Just wait until you play mandolins in the $7,000 to $12,000 range, it may have the opposite effect

Best comparisons come with equivalent setup and tweaking to reduce variables. I've always gotten a lot out of Webers, in the end. And Eastmans, for that matter.
    Stephen Perry