Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What is Groove?

Default Re: What is Groove?

Quote Originally Posted by T.D.Nydn View Post
    I don't think groove is really timing,it's two different things,it involves timing,but "finding the groove" is deeper,like when your whole body and soul is one with the tune..
    Groove is the interaction of the beat within the collective , inherently in time but creating the depth between melody and rhythm.

I haven't read the entire thread so forgive me if I'm repeating someone's sentiment. My explanation of groove is thus:

Whilst "time", "rhythm", and "beat" are definable, quantifiable terms, "groove" to me, refers to the underlying constant movement of a piece. When a musician can improvise seamlessly over a piece and is held together by the "musical bed" that the accompanying musicians create he is playing in the groove. It's like w safety net or a baseline point of reference for every musical idea that springs forth.

Sometimes a blend of accompanying musicians create a groove with which to solo over. Equally often is when a solo makes his own musical groove or bed which the accompaniments lock into.

That's my definition

3. The following members say thank you to Paahto for this post:

What is Groove? 1. a long, narrow cut or depression. Oh, you mean in music.
    Its a rhythmic feel between musicians which makes you want to dance.

Groove is like truth. Philosophers can't agree as to what it is exactly, or how to define it, but we all instinctively know what it is and how to use it in conversation. Groove is like God...it is ineffable. It is something that you feel but can't really define in words.

Being in the groove means you are at that place where everything is perfect, all has come together in just the right way, you are performing perfectly. A groove was also the groove in the vinyl record where the needle fit and the song was playing perfectly. This later became the basis of "groovy" and "grooving" (I am old enough to have used those terms).