Thread: New OM day - Ashbury Style E

Default New OM day - Ashbury Style E

Want to say it was entirely unexpected, but not totally. The wife and I took a trip yesterday to Hobgoblin Music in Red Wing, Minnesota. While there, decided to try out an Ashbury Style E OM. Wanted to see how it compared to the Eastman I own. After about a half hour of playing, my wife was getting insistent I buy it. Her reasoning was it's a lot louder, she liked the sound better and I seemed to be happier playing the shorter scale.

Before deciding, we went and had lunch. But did have the shop set it aside, just in case. Now, it's very rare that my wife pushes me to purchase an instrument. Figured I better not let the opportunity pass. So, after a nice lunch, went back and got it. It included a decent hardshell case and the shop even threw in a spare set of strings. Spent about 3 hours playing last night. And have already been plunking on it again this morning.

Now, this is not the end all and be all of OMs. Most custom builds will be better. Both better sound and higher detail to construction techniques. But am surprised at how nice this one is. The tailpiece is unusual as the strings fit into pins set into the end block and there is a wood cover pinned to the top. It will take either loop or ball end strings.

Also, how does it differ from the Eastman? Round hole as opposed to F holes, induced arch top and flat back vs carved, sapele back/sides vs. maple, shorter scale length (ca 20 1/4" vs 21") other hardwood bridge and fingerboard vs ebony, bone saddle vs ebony, wider (13 1/4" vs 12") deeper at the rim (2 11/16" at the bottom vs 1 27/32").

All of which leads to an entirely different sound. Which, in my case, may work better for the style of music I am playing. Will find out for sure at a Scandinavian music jam this afternoon. Plus one band practice and gigs with 2 different groups later this week.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ashbury Style E resized.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	79.5 KB 
ID:	171151  
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Big Muddy M-11, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723

Default Re: New OM day - Ashbury Style E

Enjoy! I had a similar trip to Hobgoblin and also ended with a Style E, now currently tuned in GDAD, I like the way I can get the drones to compliment what I (try to) play.

3. The following members say thank you to OneChordTrick for this post: