Thread: Wireless Pro 35 Mic question

Default Wireless Pro 35 Mic question

I have been using the wired AT Pro 35 and like it. Just wondering if anyone has any experience with the wireless version? Is the battery vs chord trade worth it? Does it change the sound? Any personal experience, pros or cons of wireless is appreciated. Thanks Jim

Default Re: Wireless Pro 35 Mic question

I've gone wireless off and on, first with a an ATM350 and then a DPA 4099. There are many advantages compared to a wired clip-on mic, like being able to instantly mute the signal with a switch on the bodypack transmitter when tuning. It's a convenient way to interface with an effects pedal board using one of the receivers designed for that.

One huge advantage if you run your own PA system, is being able to do a sound check out in the audience area (assuming low enough levels overall not to cause feedback). There are ways to do this now with pre-recorded sound checks on digital mixers and remote tablet/phone control. But a wireless rig on your mandolin will work with anything, from small acoustic amps in a coffee shop to larger PA systems.

It does involve more gear, and attention to battery life. You may run into problems with RF interference or crowded WiFi, depending on the system you're using (I've had that a couple of times). So it's a good idea to be preparaed to fall back on a wired setup, with enough cables and adapters if your wireless system flakes out.

As far as audio quality goes, the newer digital systems are reportedly better than the analog systems I used to use (I haven't tried digital). With analog, even a good system like the Sennheiser brand I used, there was always a slight amount of compression on the sound, compared to running the mic down a wire to the PA mixer. The digital systems are supposed to be cleaner, maybe someone else can comment on that.

Don't buy the cheapest available wireless gear. Get a reputable brand like Shure, Sennheiser, AKG, or Audio-Technica, even if you're buying at that brand's entry level. Also, with a clip-on mic, you'll want the lavalier mic-type transmitters that supply bias voltage -- the wireless equivalent of phantom power for the mic -- not the type designed only for guitars or other instruments with pickups. Some of them may work both ways, but check first.

Thanks Folded Path for the good practical info. If I do go the wireless route, I will go with AT gear. It will be running through a Bose system most of the time. I am a big believer in having a back up to the back up so I will definitely keep the the old mic and chord in the bags.

Blog Entries

I've used the AT 'System 10' digital for quite a while - excellent. Very solid connection. Wide dynamic range. Low noise floor. Good indications on receiver and dead easy to synchronize. You can get the PRO 35 / ATM350 already wired to the AT wireless connector to match the belt-pack transmitter.
    Gibson F5 'Harvey' Fern, Gibson F5 'Derrington' Fern
    Distressed Silverangel F 'Esmerelda' aka 'Maxx'
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288
    '39 & '45 D-18's, 1950 D-28.

5. The following members say thank you to almeriastrings for this post:

JimKo