Thread: The bible of monroe is released by tom ewing

Default The bible of monroe is released by tom ewing

It's taken Tom Ewing over 30 years to put together the definitive autobiography on Bill Monroe. "The Life and Music of the Blue Grass Man" and he should add to that title "and his Blue Grass Boys" which lived the life with Bill and helped create his style of music. It's a big book with 639 pages and few dozen pages of photos, many never seen before. I got the book 2 days ago and have read it (hard to put down). My quicky review is you will find out details about this you knew about and you'll find details about things you never heard about. Stories from the 149 official Blue Grass Boys to the constant "tiffs" between Monroe and his on/off bass player, Ms. Bessie Lee Mauldin. A lot of details of the repairing of the Loar F5 and use of others while it was out for repairs. It seems the million Dollar Loar has had several dozen fretboards in 50 years, neck breaks, back seam breaks
    So if you a true Father of Bluegrass fanatic , than you will want one. you can order direct from Univ. of IL Press or Amazon or Target. I've really enjoyed it , but then I'm one of the research contributors. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Monroe cover of Ewing book.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	1.48 MB 
ID:	171122Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Monroe cover flaps.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	1.47 MB 
ID:	171123Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Monroe cover Ewing back.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	1.27 MB 
ID:	171124

2. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to f5loar For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Default Re: The bible of monroe is released by tom ewing

F5 - Is this book available to buy right now - if so,where from ?. I have Tom's first book & i'd certainly like this one.

One other book i'd recommend is - ''The Music of Bill Monroe'' - Rosenberg / Wolfe. It's way more than a simple discography.There's lots of info. regarding BM himself & the various Bluegrass Boys who he hired along the way,
    Ivan
    PS - I just pre-ordered if via Amazon. The book is released on Sept.25th. 26.95 UK + 3 postage.
    This purchase should complete my BM book collection - unless there's another one coming up ?.

I've played the music of this man literally every day for 55 years,& i never tire of learning about his life & music. I met him just once,but i wish i'd met him a 1000 time more. What a legacy he left to us !!!!.
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ivan Kelsall For This Useful Post:

Chesterfield, VA from May to December and Naples FL in the winter/spring

Is it really an "autobiography" as you mention in the original post? The cover implies is it written by Tom Ewing and does not mention being written by Bill Monroe...
    "All of us contain Music & Truth, but most of us can't get it out." - Mark Twain

Eastman MD615SB
    Martin D35
    Gibson SG

I think, biography.
    BradKlein
    Senior Producer, Twangbox
    Twangbox Videos

University of Illinois Press link

Amazon link

The Amazon link is for a pre-order that will ship September 30th and is cheaper than the UI Press.
    The UI Press also offers it in an e-book format that's less expensive than Amazon.

I've got too much on my plate right now, I can wait until after September 30 so I pre-ordered.
    "Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them". These are the words of J. Garber.

Quote Originally Posted by Mando Mort View Post
    Is it really an "autobiography" as you mention in the original post? The cover implies is it written by Tom Ewing and does not mention being written by Bill Monroe...
    it's a biography. It's got lots of quote from Monroe.

my pre-order from back in April just arrived today...All 639 pages !
    just in time to read on the way down to Monroe Camp in a couple days..
    Looking forward to camp this year !!!
    http://monroemandolincamp.com/

and looking forward to meeting f5loar and hearing his presentation ..
    "The Mandolins of Bill Monroe: The Lore of the Loar"

Yes, Mike asked I bring a few "old" Gibsons to show and tell at the camp and it morphed into "The Mandolins of Bill Monroe: The Lore of the Loar". I'll be showing 11 mandolins like the ones Monroe used over his 69 years of picking one and talk about another 11 he used on occasions. From his little $3 mandolin when he was 9 all the way up to the famous million dollar mandolin. Tom's new book covers a few of them. I'm going to cover all of them. You will find out information on Monroe's you never knew to ask about. And I'll have some free handouts as well as some original Monroe collectibles for $20 or less.

11. The following members say thank you to f5loar for this post:

F5 - The information that you mention would be of interest to almost every mandolin player on here. Is there a way that you could write an article re.the info. so that all of us can read it ?. I understand the effort & time this would take,but would you please consider doing it - "Quote - You will find out information on Monroe's you never knew to ask about.". That has to be 100% un-missable !!!,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

13. The following members say thank you to Ivan Kelsall for this post:

Kudos again to University of Illinois Press for their ongoing documentation of American folk and country music. I have a "mini-library" of their books, and look forward to adding this one.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Sorry i won't be able to attend f5loar's great talk on WSM's mandolins, but I've gotta know...what were the first several mandolins he played as a youth?

There are lots of gaps in my knowledge of his instruments, but there are some pics out there of him playing a snakehead, Epiphone Strand, and the F7. i'm clueless beyond that.