Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Monel users.....

Default Monel users.....

Do you Monel users feel like these strings give a little more than phosphor bronze strings? That is, do Monels seem a little less taut?

That’s what it seems like to me and I like it.

Thanks,

Tim Wilson

Default Re: Monel users.....

Tim, i've only used the GHS version that has heavier wound strings, and they felt about average to me. i have the Martins on now, which are a bit lighter and they have more give, as you say. It's been said that nickel wound strings have a slightly thinner plain core, which if so would account for what you're experiencing. At first i thought the Martins had too much give but now i prefer their feel, which could be because they have that Monroe "rattle" when i put a 1mm Wegan to them.

3. The following members say thank you to dan in va for this post:

Oval holes are cool David Lewis's Avatar

I hadn’t noticed but thinking about it you may be right. I’ll be practicing later and I’ll have a close look. (Have Monel on 2 mandolins. Flatwounds on one and bronze on the other. )

5. The following members say thank you to David Lewis for this post:

Love Monel's ( Mangan) on my oval but prefer GHS A270 medium's on my F5 and A5 !

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to yankees1 For This Useful Post:

Yes they do seem like they have more give to me, even though they apparently have more tension. I once compared the tension to two otherwise identical sets for acoustic guitar: both Martin strings, both medium gauge, but one set was phosphor bronze and the other was monel. Despite the fact that the monel set is supposed to have slightly higher tension (191.3 lbs versus phosphor bronze's 186.2 lbs), the monel sets have always felt considerably more 'slack'. Either way, it makes for an enjoyable playing experience and monel seems to sound great on any instrument
    Owner of emlpicks.com

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EricLopez For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

I recently had the opportunity to play a relatively new Pava, with monels. Great mandolin, but i felt the strings kind of robbed it of its power and tone.

First impression mind you, and not at all representative of what i might find trying monels more often.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

11. The following members say thank you to JeffD for this post:

Oval holes are cool David Lewis's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JeffD View Post
    I recently had the opportunity to play a relatively new Pava, with monels. Great mandolin, but i felt the strings kind of robbed it of its power and tone.

First impression mind you, and not at all representative of what i might find trying monels more often.
    I had them on an epiphanies mm50e and they were dead. On my Washburn and epiphone mm40 they sing.

Sam bush had them on his. They sung. So I don’t know.

I've been performing with Monels for about a month now. They are wonderfully bright, and seem a great choice for a bluegrass player who usually plays through a mic. They definitely lack the volume of my usual EJ74s and Elixirs.
    Explore some of my published music here.

—Jim

Sierra F5 #30 (2005)
    Altman 2-point (2007)
    Portuguese fado cittern (1965)

Been trying out monels on my NF F5S for about a month. The whole time I was thinking something was wrong and was getting frustrated with my playing sounding lifeless. The natural tone of the instrument was just not coming out. Just switched back to phosphor bronze and it came back to life. The dry, woody, full tone is back and I can't stop playing. Not my first time trying monels, but first time on the NF and it's not a match. Worth the experiment, but I wish I'd switched back sooner.

15. The following members say thank you to bradeasley for this post:

As has been said so many times before on here - no single brand / gauge / 'material type' of string will suit every mandolin. I've tried enough strings on mine that i know that 'absolutely. EJ74's sound amazing on my Weber "Fern",but destroy the tone of my Ellis. The GHS A270's that sound so superb on my Ellis, do NOT suit my Weber !!. EJ74s don't sound so good on my larger than standard Lebeda,they need the added strength of tone of DR MD11s. Strangely,MD11s also sound very good on the Ellis as well. In fact they're the one string out of the 3 brands that i'm using, that sound good on all 3 of my mandolins. I used to use MD11s on my Weber,but since i now use the Dunlop 'Primetone' picks,i don't need the additional 'strength of tone' that the MD11's give.

All we can do is to continue to try new strings out - i did that & discovered that the DR strings are possibly the best ''all round'' strings that i've ever used = they suit all 3 of my mandolins - however,they are more expensive than EJ74s - £11.00 UK against £8.50 UK ( $14.40 US against $11.01 US),
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

17. The following members say thank you to Ivan Kelsall for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by bradeasley View Post
    Been trying out monels on my NF F5S for about a month. The whole time I was thinking something was wrong and was getting frustrated with my playing sounding lifeless. The natural tone of the instrument was just not coming out. Just switched back to phosphor bronze and it came back to life. The dry, woody, full tone is back and I can't stop playing. Not my first time trying monels, but first time on the NF and it's not a match. Worth the experiment, but I wish I'd switched back sooner.
    I found the same results as you on my F5 Ellis !

Quote Originally Posted by bradeasley View Post
    What monel's were you using? D'addario?
    "Can I have a little more talent in the monitors please?"

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin K View Post
    I tried D'addario monels also but switched back to GHS A270's !

Thumbs up Re: Monel users.....

A good question, as they are not all created equal. Between the Martin, D'Addario and Curt Mangan, I found the Mangan's to be the lowest tension, and with slightly tighter windings, all of which resulted in lower friction and finger noise.
    The sound is great on my MF5.

22. The following members say thank you to Paul Statman for this post:

D'Addario

Quote Originally Posted by mandopixie View Post
    A good question, as they are not all created equal. Between the Martin, D'Addario and Curt Mangan, I found the Mangan's to be the lowest tension, and with slightly tighter windings, all of which resulted in lower friction and finger noise.
    The sound is great on my MF5.
    Interesting. I am the original poster, and I was asking whether Monels had more ‘give’ to them than bronze. I didn’t say it in the post, but I was referring to Mangans. You seem to confirm my thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by twilson View Post
    Interesting. I am the original poster, and I was asking whether Monels had more ‘give’ to them than bronze. I didn’t say it in the post, but I was referring to Mangans. You seem to confirm my thoughts.
    Yes. My findings are the same as yours, sir.

i've not tried the Mangan strings but do seem to notice a less taut feeling with the Daddario monels vs. my usual phosphor br. daddarios. There does seem to be a slight reduction in volume which is offest by a more fundamental tone that makes the wound strings easier for my ear to tune.

i have to be more careful not to overdrive these monels. In that regard I like the feel of the pb strings better. But Ihave only had the monels on for
    a few days and I certainly like their overall sound and feel on my Gibson MM '04 Derrington.

Put some Martin Mexican monels on my '25 snakehead;that's a whole nother kettle of fish.

In all these discussions of strings,would I be wrong to assume that we are generally talking about the wound strings?

Question Re: Monel users.....

Quote Originally Posted by V70416 View Post
    There does seem to be a slight reduction in volume which is offset by a more fundamental tone that makes the wound strings easier for my ear to tune..

I have to be more careful not to overdrive these monels..
    I have not experienced any volume loss.

I am curious to know what you mean when you say that you have to be more careful not to overdrive them.

I, too, did not notice a volume loss with Monels. But, you know, I think I think too hard sometimes about all this stuff, and am not sure my thinking and observations are all that reliable. Hence, the forum post.

Anyone else have an observation about volume loss with Monels?

Pardon me while I overthink this..!

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Paul Statman For This Useful Post:

mandopixie,since the strings seem less taut/tight I have to be careful not to attack the strings too hard. I usually use a 2.0mm Wegen
    and I can overdrive or cause the strings to rattle if I am too emphatic with the pick. I guess I could
    set the bridge a little higher for these strings to help prevent this.

I'm starting to get it in regards to Monel strings. I think,as always,I will tend to use D'Addario brand.
    I also bougt some Martin monels(to try on my snakehead). They are made in Mexico. I can't help it;it's a thing with me;but,maybe
    I will get over it someday.

Will try the D'Addario monels on the snakehead after I use up the Martins.

V70416: It would make sense to me to raise the bridge for 'floppier' strings.

Has anyone else had the loop windings unravel under tension? This happened with both E strings on one set. The second time it happened at a jam, and by some miracle the last edge caught itself on the string, so I was able to get it up to tension and finish the evening! Here's what it looked like when I removed it the following day:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1469.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	160.1 KB 
ID:	172140Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1470.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	147.0 KB 
ID:	172141

I have a 2004 F9 and the Monels give me a sweetness on the A & E strings that I haven't been able to get with anything else. This have come at the expense of volume, but it is worth it to me.

formerly Philphool Phil Goodson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gr33n_jell0 View Post
    I have a 2004 F9 and the Monels give me a sweetness on the A & E strings that I haven't been able to get with anything else. This have come at the expense of volume, but it is worth it to me.
    The A & E strings are still made of steel, are they not???
    Phil

“Sharps/Flats” “Accidentals”