Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What I hate most about mandolin

Default Re: What I hate most about mandolin

Quote Originally Posted by V70416 View Post
    Or,the old axiom,"Mandolin players spend half their time tuning;and the other half playing out of tune."
    That quote was used for the ancestor of the mandolin, the lute...and the family has not changed in centuries.

2. The following members say thank you to DavidKOS for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Clements View Post
    David, please explain your reference to "12 tone ET fretted instruments".
    Thanks in advance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Wright View Post
    With a good fretboard you will not hear those equal-tempered (ET 12T means equal-tempered 12-tone scale) as out of tune.
    Just that - 12 tone equal temperament tuning, what guitars, mandolins, electronic keyboards, etc. are tuned to.

It's a compromise tuning system that, by tuning everything very slightly equally leveled out, and thus compared to pure tuning, by being just a little out of tune everywhere, you can play in every key and use chords and such and not be so out of tune that certain keys are "off limits", so to speak.

In guitar world, you have folks that use special nut or fretting systems to be able to "sweeten" the thirds in typical open chords so that they can really tune to a mean-tone tuning system that keeps 3rds closer to natural tuning.

But that doesn't work when you play out of those keys.

So mandolin has frets in that 12 T ET system, and thus has to be tuned to make that very useful system work to best advantage.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DavidKOS For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DavidKOS View Post
    That quote was used for the ancestor of the mandolin, the lute...and the family has not changed in centuries.
    Also applied to harps. A harp player told me this joke--
    Q:"What is the difference between a harp that's in tune and one that is not?"
    A: "Absolutely none."

I would like to hear from others here. Have you tested the tuning for each fret with a strobe?
    Bandcamp -- https://tomwright1.bandcamp.com/
    Videos--YouTube
    Sound Clips--SoundCloud
    The viola is proof that man is not rational

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tom Wright For This Useful Post:

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

So mandolin has frets in that 12 T ET system, and thus has to be tuned to make that very useful system work to best advantage.
    I do understand that 12TET compromise. What bothers me more than any other odd sounds occurs in two places: Open A in concert with open E - this has to be a close fifth - and A fretted at 7 to sound in unison with open E.

For whatever reason, I hear the inconsistencies most in either of those two circumstances. And keeping the A course tuned to perform in those two circumstances is what may drive me mad someday. It's always a touchy compromise, and sometimes it works out OK.
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    ----------------------------------
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Wright View Post
    Also applied to harps. A harp player told me this joke--
    Q:"What is the difference between a harp that's in tune and one that is not?"
    A: "Absolutely none."

I would like to hear from others here. Have you tested the tuning for each fret with a strobe?
    Good one, Tom.

Exactly what data are you looking for, Tom? I have only a Peterson Stroboclip, no big, expensive strobe tuner. I just tuned the E course.

It read right on at 12th fret. 12th fret harmonic read right right on.
    All frets at half steps read right on, surprisingly, except for:

F - tiny bit sharp
    F# - tiny bit sharp
    G - tiny bit sharp

Action is low. String gauge 11.5
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

This Kid Needs Practice Bill Clements's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bob A View Post
    I'm told that oboe players all go mad from the increased intracranial pressure playing their instrument requires.
    And we bassoonists are crazy for picking such an instrument in the first place!
    You gotta be a lip contortionist to play the belching bedpost in tune...
    "Music is the only noise for which one is obliged to pay." ~ Alexander Dumas

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Gunter View Post
    All frets at half steps read right on, surprisingly, except for:

F - tiny bit sharp
    F# - tiny bit sharp
    G - tiny bit sharp

Action is low. String gauge 11.5
    The stroboclip should be fine. 5th fret on the E and 7th on the A would be the culprits making it hard to get both to agree. If 5th fret E is high, the A needs to be sharp to match the fingered note on the E. This makes the 7th-fret E on the A very sharp to the open E.

A feeler gauge would be handy, but it looks like either a high nut or too-long a distance to the first fret. If the error stays constant as you go up to 7th fret is the the distance. If the error decreases as you go up it is a high nut. Action at the bridge will not affect the first fret, ditto its location. But even if the fretboard is perfect to itself, if the transition from nut to frets behaves differently it throws everything off.

Guitar repairmen tell me Taylor shortens their fingerboards from the standard layout, and so do other makers. One mandolin builder here does so, also. I don't know if there is an explanation for why the nut seems to not work at the mathematical location---perhaps because it is usually a bit higher than frets, but maybe something else happens.

In any case, I had a terrible time getting my octaves and unisons to agree until I looked closely at the fret behavior (even with a very low nut). I had to remove about 0.010" or 1/4mm from my 14.25"-scale mandos (two makers). Afterward everything sounds sweet without compromise, in all keys, as equal temperament promises. The nicest thing about shortening the fingerboard is I can now have a comfortably high nut with a strong clean tone.

Ask yourself -- do concert pianos always sound out of tune? Equal tempering should not mean unpleasant intervals.
    Bandcamp -- https://tomwright1.bandcamp.com/
    Videos--YouTube
    Sound Clips--SoundCloud
    The viola is proof that man is not rational

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tom Wright For This Useful Post:

The A string being out of tune is worse on my octave than regular mandolins. With either of my Gibsons, the fiddler in our band doesn't notice it being out of tune. Not so with the octave. She immediately notices. OTOH, it's making me be more picky with tuning. And I've now doubled my ownership of Peterson and TC Electronics tuners.

In the other situations where I use the octave, it's not as noticeable. But it's still an issue I want to solve. But I've narrowed it down to the player, not the instrument. So there's that.
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Big Muddy M-11, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

Do violinists have the same devil to deal with?
    I suspect that's one of the reasons they do this vibrato thing - to cover all possible tunings in one note.

But we mando players have a similar device - we can do wet tuning.
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

From mbruno - " Just be happy it's not a banjo." Repent right now or you'll be getting the ''midnight knock'',& a whole banjo orchestra will descend upon you.

It must be just me - very rarely do i need to adjust the tuning of my banjo,apart from the 5th string, which obviously takes a lot of punishment,& even that only needs a re-tune a couple of times over an hour or so. The strings on my mandolins stay in tune very well indeed. I did have a problem with the 'lower' A string on my Weber,but i sorted that out - sticky nut slot. The most common cause of my mandolins going out of tune at all,is temperature. When they get cold,they go sharp - when they get warm(er) they go flat.

I have 3 mandolins which i usually play 'in rotation' - but,sometimes i'll play 2 or all 3 of them. It's a rare occassion when i need to re-tune them - maybe down to a more stable UK temp. range. We most certainly don't get the huge temp. / humidity changes that you folks in the US can get at times,although this year was the exception to the rule for us - the hottest UK Summer since our records began - but even so,not too bad,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

The only thing I hate about the mandolin, is what seems like a lack of respect from the majority. It seems to me that unless your willing to be and act like a clown regardless of talent nobody outside the community will notice your there. Just look at some of the greats and the try and find a seriously great mandolin player that didn't have to act the typical jester to get a job. Messed up IMHO.

I haven't watched this video about Pythagorean, just intonation and ET in awhile but it's often recommended for violinists (the presenter is not exactly right about pianos being tuned in ET). There's no universal formulas for tuning, except maybe slightly stretched octaves, depending on whether you need chords or single string runs to sound good. There's also articles on how string quartets tune in 2 magazines for classical players, The Strad and "Strings" that maybe you can google for.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QaYOwIIvgHg
    Kentucky km900
    Yamaha piano, clarinet, violin; generic cello;
    a pedal steel (highly recommended); banjo, dobro don't get played much cause i'm considerate ;}

Shopping/monitoring prices: vibraphone/marimbas, rhodes, synths, Yamaha brass and double reeds

17. The following members say thank you to gtani7 for this post:

Mediocre but OK with that Paul Busman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mbruno View Post
    Just be happy it's not a banjo.
    Unless it's a tenor banjo
    For wooden musical fun that doesn't involve strumming, check out:
    www.busmanwhistles.com
    Handcrafted pennywhistles in exotic hardwoods.

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

Well …. It does seem like any problems a mandolin has in frets or setup or construction are magnified in tuning and playing issues. This may be due to the short length of playing field and or double courses. I am sometimes glad not to have been blessed with perfect pitch. Sometimes. Fresh strings after they settle in and constant vigilance on the position of the bridge help avoid tuning issues for me. Using Med-Heavy .41-.115 sets of strings helps also. Having a VERY well made instrument I expect helps even more. But the A is always the most cantankerous of the lot. Truth... R/
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...

Do violinists have the same devil to deal with?
    Fiddles don't have frets so it is a different beast. Intonation issues are part of the daily battle.

Quote Originally Posted by Frankdolin View Post
    The only thing I hate about the mandolin, is what seems like a lack of respect from the majority. It seems to me that unless your willing to be and act like a clown regardless of talent nobody outside the community will notice your there. Just look at some of the greats and the try and find a seriously great mandolin player that didn't have to act the typical jester to get a job. Messed up IMHO.
    Do you include the vaudeville acts that Bernardo dePace and Dave Apollon did in your indictment?

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DavidKOS For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Frankdolin View Post
    I don't know what music you are talking about but in bluegrass I cant think of many that acted like a clown, just great pickers from Monroe to today.

Do you include the vaudeville acts that Bernardo dePace and Dave Apollon did in your indictment?

Two of my favorites, that sadly make my point. I never said they were silly just forced to be silly to make a living in spite of being two of the best ever.

What I hate about a mandolin ? The addiction to playing it ! I finally understand how an alcoholic feels !

26. The following members say thank you to yankees1 for this post: