Thread: Hard to Change My Mind

Default Hard to Change My Mind

Well, I just ordered a few more sets of Ernie Ball strings for "Gracie".
    I tend to try everything at least once but always come back to Balls.

Tomastik for my fiddle (EXPENSIVE!) but really good.

For my Les Pauls, I've tried everything from Elixirs to Boomers. I like the DR Pure Blues string and even ventured into the Fender Jazz strings at one time. Always seem to come back to Ernie Balls.

My banjo and I are a little new together so I'm sticking with Deering strings for the time being. I suspect I'll be ordering a few sets of Balls for her soon though.

I have two sets of Gibson Monroe's left but as Gibson is no longer making them, I'll save them for something special - If I get that Gibson Loar signed F style I've asked for Christmas, that would be occasion enough.

The point is, don't be afraid to try something new but always come back to the strings that work best and consistently for you.

Anybody else have a brand they can't seem to escape?
    Doc Ivory
    -Play loud, live long..

2. The following members say thank you to Doc Ivory for this post:

Default Re: Hard to Change My Mind

I've tried many, and I keep going back to GHS.
    2007 Weber Custom Elite "old wood"
    2017 Ratliff R5 Custom #1148
    Several nice old Fiddles
    2007 Martin 000-15S 12 fret Auditorium-slot head
    Deering Classic Open Back
    Too many microphones

BridgerCreekBoys.com

4. The following members say thank you to MontanaMatt for this post:

Yep, for electric guitar it's been Ernie Ball Slinkys for about 30 years now. And, yes, I've tried them all. D'addario's sound good also, but I have an unfair hatred for those darn color-coded string balls -- I think they look stupid on any guitar where the string balls are visible -- weird, I know -- but I don't like them. Strings sound fine. I think its that they are trying to save the 6 little envelopes that bugs me. It's like when the bank says, "do you want to go paperless?" Heck, NO! Please send my statement to the house every month, so I have a record of it! (sorry, so many things -- no need to get me started, but you know, it's something every day at this point!)

I used d'adario j74's on my mandolin til a year back when I discovered that FENDER ( yes...FENDER ...whoda thunk it ? )made the same gauge set but with a 16 as an A string . I had been using that heavier A but couldn't find a set with it included . Gotta say ...I'm getting some serious mileage from the Fender set and it more than rivals the J74 d'adarios. Very happy I took a shot . Best news is that they are less than 6 bucks . Yeah ...FENDER ..

I kinda like GHS as well.
    for my guitars, they have a great low end response thru a Marshall.
    Doc Ivory
    -Play loud, live long..

Quote Originally Posted by roysboy View Post
    Very happy I took a shot . Best news is that they are less than 6 bucks . Yeah ...FENDER ..
    Fender makes a very good string and as you say, you get a lotta mileage outa them.
    I dionlt think they make the flat wounds anymore though, used to be a GREAT jazz string.
    Doc Ivory
    -Play loud, live long..

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Mando View Post
    It's like when the bank says, "do you want to go paperless?" Heck, NO! Please send my statement to the house every month, so I have a record of it! (sorry, so many things -- no need to get me started, but you know, it's something every day at this point!)
    LOL!
    I have the same visceral reaction to the banks trying to "help" me by going paperless.

To the topic, Slinkies have just been my string since the early 70's. When something works, don't mess with it (too much
    Doc Ivory
    -Play loud, live long..

10. The following members say thank you to Doc Ivory for this post:

While we're on the (not particularly mandolin-related) topic, does anyone have any experience with nylon tapewound bass strings? Any thoughts or brand recommendations? (bass guitar, that is.)
    "The paths of experimentation twist and turn through mountains of miscalculations, and often lose themselves in error and darkness!"
    --Leslie Daniel, "The Brain That Wouldn't Die."

Some tunes: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCa1...SV2qtug/videos

12. The following members say thank you to jaycat for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by roysboy View Post
    I used d'adario j74's on my mandolin til a year back when I discovered that FENDER ( yes...FENDER ...whoda thunk it ? )made the same gauge set but with a 16 as an A string . I had been using that heavier A but couldn't find a set with it included . Gotta say ...I'm getting some serious mileage from the Fender set and it more than rivals the J74 d'adarios. Very happy I took a shot . Best news is that they are less than 6 bucks . Yeah ...FENDER ..
    GHS strings have a 16 and not a 15 as well.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

14. The following members say thank you to pops1 for this post:

Mediocre but OK with that Paul Busman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Ivory View Post
    I suspect I'll be ordering a few sets of Balls for her soon though.
    I got a juvenile chuckle out of that.
    For wooden musical fun that doesn't involve strumming, check out:
    www.busmanwhistles.com
    Handcrafted pennywhistles in exotic hardwoods.

16. The following members say thank you to Paul Busman for this post:

Somewhere south of Denver and north of Pueblo

Quote Originally Posted by jaycat View Post
    While we're on the (not particularly mandolin-related) topic, does anyone have any experience with nylon tapewound bass strings? Any thoughts or brand recommendations? (bass guitar, that is.)
    I had an EBO come into the shop with these strange strings on them. They thunked like bridge cables. I’ll throw any good roundwound on, usually Ernie Ball, because they’re available. I don’t go flatwound because I can get the same think by palming the strings at the bridge.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bill Romansky For This Useful Post: