Thread: What can you tell me about this? F Schwarzer?

Question What can you tell me about this? F Schwarzer?

Hi!

A friend of mine who knows I love trying out any stringed instrument I can get a hold of recently gave me this instrument that had been sitting around his house for as long as he can remember. I know nothing about mandolins or even if this is a mandolin, so I thought there might be someone here who could help me identify this. Thanks!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20180911_085838168.jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	844.3 KB 
ID:	171013Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20180911_085947209.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	688.7 KB 
ID:	171014Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20180911_085742465.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	676.6 KB 
ID:	171015Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20180911_091100949.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	705.3 KB 
ID:	171016Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20180911_091008373.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	1.04 MB 
ID:	171017Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20180911_091604590.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	1.29 MB 
ID:	171018Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20180911_091120469.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	348.6 KB 
ID:	171019Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20180911_085529011.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	567.8 KB 
ID:	171020Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20180911_085617210.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	674.6 KB 
ID:	171021

Default Re: What can you tell me about this? F Schwarzer?

Franz Schwarzer is listed in the Mugwumps Index of American Fretted Musical Instrument Makers as working in Washington MO for the period 1867-1904. He was best known for building zithers; here's an article about him. I would guess that this mandolin would be from the end of that period, as it looks like many other mandolins from around the turn of the 20th century.

Twelve-string mandolins are often called mandriolas, and are generally string with four triple courses; sometimes the lower two or three courses are "octave" strung, with a heavier string, tuned an octave lower, as the middle string of the course. Other times all three strings are tuned in unison in each course, generally in standard GDAE, lower pitch to higher pitch.

The most recent owner of this instrument apparently strung it with eight strings, like a standard mandolin. Twelve-string mandriolas are often criticized as less suitable for melody playing, due to the relative clumsiness of triple courses and a related "jangly" sound; they do, however, have a full, rich sound for chording.

The alternating maple and mahogany ribs in the bowl, were often found on mandolins 1890-1915 or so; sometimes, maple alternated with rosewood. The instrument's relatively plain and un-ornamented, with a faux tortoise celluloidpick guard, modest side and rosette purfling, a plain headstock and simple dot fretboard inlays.

As to condition, one warning sign is the shim installed under the bridge; this may be due to top sinkage, which often occurs in older bowl-backs that have been too heavily strung. There's also extensive pick wear on the top; someone's played the potatoes out of the old Schwarzer, sometime in the past. You might be well-advised to take the instrument to a good repair shop -- one that doesn't flinch at the sight of a bowl-back mandolin -- and get it evaluated. I'd take the string tension off immediately, for a start.

If you have any future plans to play it, especially if you want to restring it as a 12-string mandriola, I'd get it thoroughly checked out first. It's probably 125 years old or so, and has been "rode hard and put away wet." If you just want to keep it as a curiosity -- and there certainly aren't many Schwarzer mandriolas around -- you can skip the repair.

Oh, and save that old leather case as well; they're also pretty rare.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Thanks for the great info, Allen! I appreciate the thorough response. I took the string tension off as soon as I read your reply.

You said there aren't many around...do you think it has any value as a collector's piece given its worn condition? I'm not a collector, so if I find that it can't be repaired to a playable 12 string condition, it'd be nice to get it to someone who would appreciate it as a collectors piece, if it has any value. Any ideas of how I could find that out? Thanks again!

4. The following members say thank you to jonathankiyoshi for this post:

Thanks for the great info, Allen! I appreciate the thorough response. I took the string tension off as soon as I read your reply.

You said there aren't many around...do you think it has any value as a collector's piece given its worn condition? I'm not a collector, so if I find that it can't be repaired to a playable 12 string condition, it'd be nice to get it to someone who would appreciate it as a collectors piece, if it has any value. Any ideas of how I could find that out? If not, no worries! Thanks again!
    Last edited by jonathankiyoshi; Sep-11-2018 at 5:41pm.

Very few bowlbacks, only certain known brands, will bring any amount of money. Bowlback mandolins, even the 12 string models fail to sell regularly on eBay. Rare doesn't generally mean that it has greater value. You should do a happy dance if you get over $100.00 for it.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

7. The following members say thank you to MikeEdgerton for this post:

Thanks, Mike! Good to know!