Thread: My First Mandolin

Default My First Mandolin

Hi all,

I’m new to the Mandolin Cafe, so I’m sorry if this has been discussed elsewhere.

I am looking to purchase my first mandolin. I have played guitar for about 6-7 years, but I’m not as good as the experience suggests. However, with that being said, I’m looking to purchase a good quality instrument that will last. To give you an idea, I play a Taylor 210e guitar. It is not a top-of-the-line guitar, but it has been great for me.

I am looking for a good, budget mandolin between $200—$400. I have heard a lot of beginners starting with a Rogue, but I do not think I would be satisfied with it. I have looked at lower-end mandolins (The Loar LM-110 and LM-310) along with others that are nearing the top of my budget (Kentucky KM-150). Besides these, I have seen other mandolins from Morgan Monroe, Washburn, and others.

Can you please offer your thoughts and advice regarding this? Also, where do you recommend purchasing from?

Thank you all!
    Tyler

Note: I have already learned so much about mandolins by reading posts here. It seems to be a great community that I look forward to engaging with. 😊

Default Re: My First Mandolin

Welcome to the Cafe!

Best to buy one from a reputable dealer who will do the setup for you. If you buy from Amazon or Musicians Friend etc, it will come as shipped from the factory and it will need fitting of the bridge and nut.
    If you're handy, you can do the setup yourself using Rob Meldrum's ebook as a guide.

You want to look for mandolins with solid carved top and back. Most in your price range will not have that. The Kentucky KM-150 does and it is well made.
    I would recommend the Kentucky over the Loar.
    If you want the setup done for you, I'd buy the KM-150 from Elderly
    https://www.elderly.com/kentucky-km-150-mandolin.htm

If you can do your own setup, this is a sweet deal on the KM-252
    https://www.amazon.com/Kentucky-KM-2.../dp/B00M2YZ3TK

Otherwise, a setup at a good local shop that knows mandolins will be $50-$75.

You'll also want to add a case or gigbag.

This is a good quality case for $50
    https://www.musiciansfriend.com/acce...-mandolin-case
    Last edited by colorado_al; Sep-11-2018 at 3:14pm.

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mtrandolph View Post
    I’m looking to purchase a good quality instrument that will last. To give you an idea, I play a Taylor 210e guitar. It is not a top-of-the-line guitar, but it has been great for me. I am looking for a good, budget mandolin between $200—$400.
    You don't specify what type of music that you intend to play, but when I was in your position -- migrating over from guitar, looking to control budget -- I opted for a flattop. It will do everything that you want it to -- stay in tune, play comfortably, sound great -- and the only area in which it won't excel (taking a break at your local bluegrass jam) is one you're probably not ready for anyway. But because it is less labor intensive than an archtop, it gives you the opportunity to buy a mandolin built of solid wood from a small shop or independent builder right here in the United States. Brands to consider include Flatiron, Mid-Missouri / Big Muddy, Gypsy, Redline, Crystal Forest, Howard Morris, and Sawchyn among others. I have bought and sold several at the high end of your price range and still enjoy a flattop from Andy Poe today.

Here is an example from the Classifieds that is older but potentially still available: https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/120738#120738

P.S. Conventional wisdom holds that a good archtop mandolin costs twice the amount of a good flattop guitar. So think of whatever you paid for that Taylor 210e and figure that you would have to spend twice that figure to acquire an equivalent mandolin.
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

4. The following members say thank you to pheffernan for this post:

If the budget is set in stone buy a used A style Kentucky or something you can play before you buy. The reason I said that is if you know music and appreciate good instruments you will not be satisfied with a $400 mandolin for long. Buying used known name mandolins you can probably get most if not all of your money out of it next year when you have to have a better one, or if you decide that you want to be a guitar player.

Welcome to mandolin. Rule of thumb, take the price of the guitar quality you like and double it. That is pretty much the way it is.

A KM 150 is a good place to start. All solid wood. A mandolin has less room for cost cutting measures. You need to get the small top surface vibrating as much as possible.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

I've been playing mandolin for over 20 years and stringed instruments for 35. I recently purchased a Kentucky KM-272 which is the oval hole version of the KM-252, and it is far better than any other sub $400 mandolin I've ever played before. Is it as good as my Collings or Northfield? No. But I find it to be better than most mandolins I've played under $800 (new). If you can find a used JBovier A5 for $400, I'd do that instead, but they are hard to come by. If you can find a used Eastman MD-305, I'd consider that as well.
    Like this one for $360 with cumberland bridge (a $75 upgrade).
    https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/128981#128981

The 1 drawback (to me) of the Kentucky KM-150 is the flat fretboard. As a guitar player, you might like a radiused fretboard more. The KM-250 has that. (so do the Eastman mandolins).
    The KM-250 has larger fretwire as well, which might feel more comfortable to a guitar player as well.

I will caution you against the Breedlove Crossover. It may look really nice, but the top and back, while solid wood, are pressed, not carved. Also the finish is polyester. Better instruments will have a nitrocellulose lacquer finish (or varnish finish on really nice mandolins)
    Last edited by colorado_al; Sep-11-2018 at 7:12pm.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to colorado_al For This Useful Post:

Hi Al,

You’ve some provided great information, and I appreciate that!

I actually saw the KM-252 on Amazon yesterday. I’ve called my local shop, and they do setups for $40, so that might be what I go with. I feel like that’s the best way to get the most mandolin for my money. However, do you believe the Eastman MD305 would be a better instrument?

Also, have you ordered instruments from Elderly before?

One thing I’ve learned for sure: there are so many brands of mandolins! Maybe I’ll find the right one soon.

-Tyler

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
    Welcome to mandolin. Rule of thumb, take the price of the guitar quality you like and double it. That is pretty much the way it is.

A KM 150 is a good place to start. All solid wood. A mandolin has less room for cost cutting measures. You need to get the small top surface vibrating as much as possible.
    That’s good to know! Thanks for the feedback.

I have bought from Elderly. They are top notch!
    If you have a local shop that does good work on mandolins and will do a proper setup for $40, I'd go with the KM-252 from amazon and bring it there for a setup.
    I personally like the KM-252 better than the Eastman MD-305, but I think they are both great options in your price range.

I'd pick this one up in a hurry if you want something less than $300
    https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/129099#129099
    Used KM-150 for $285 from a well regarded individual seller.

I will offer no advice, sorry, but....
    Try and take a little time and enjoy this unique ride your taking.

Buying a first in anything, be it first guitar, first mandolin etc.
    Is a ONE-TIME experience that can never be repeated.
    Take notes, document your thought process and advice you feel is relevant.

You will look back to this time fondly, so try and enjoy!
    Much luck in finding a great fit for yourself
    Reid
    2011 Black A5 (#9) Mandolin
    1952 Gibson A-40N Mandolin
    1924 Gibson TB-1 Trapdoor Tenor Banjo
    1975 Gibson MK-35 Hybrid Braced Dreadnought Guitar
    1993 Washburn M3 SW/TS F-Style Mandolin
    2004 Martin D-16 GT Dreadnought Guitar
    2006 Martin DC-16RGTE AURA Dreadnought Guitar
    1997 Seagull S6 Dreadnought Guitar
    1970's Kay KB-52 5-String Banjo
    1960's Pirles 4-String Tenor Banjo

Quote Originally Posted by treidm View Post
    You will look back to this time fondly, so try and enjoy!
    Much luck in finding a great fit for yourself
    Reid
    Reid, thanks for the reminder. It is definitely a fun and exciting time that should be cherished.

I still have the first new mandolin I bought- a "Jethro Style" Japanese Suzuki in cherry red back in 1977. It was the most expensive article I had ever bought up to that time! It was borrowed at one stage by Andy Latimer of Camel for recording but I don't know if it got on to the album and I don't suppose he would remember now.

40 years on, you have so much choice and the value for money is incredible. I have read the advice offered and it is all really good and should help you immensely. However, your purchase is not a "life and death" decision and it should be an enjoyable experience- not a nail-biter. I think, the bottom line is, no matter how good the mandolin is that you buy, mastering the instrument is about application, and although some instruments may be a little more forgiving than others, as long as the neck is good, then the rest is down to you. I have never played a Gibson A5 but my Suzuki does have a very slightly wider neck than is usual and this made quite a difference to a novice. I don't know if the Gibson is the same, but it is a more forgiving instrument and was very well made.

Anyway, give it your best shot and persevere. Ultimately, it is what you put in as effort that will give back as proficiency and skill. Good luck!

I appreciate everyone’s contributions to my question.

I believe I have narrowed it down between the Kentucky KM 150 and KM 252. My only question is would it be better off ordering the KM 150 from a place like Elderly that comes with a good setup or getting a good deal on a KM 252 and taking it to a local guitar shop that doesn’t particularly specialize in mandolins but offers setups on them?

Thanks again!
    Tyler

Mandolins are a setup unto themselves. If your local guitar shop doesn't have experience in setting up mandolins, I would opt for somewhere that does. Most guitar shops will try to set them up like a guitar, not what you want.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

And you may well end up keeping your starter mandolin - I still have my the Loar LM220. I let people who want to try mandolin try that one, it was a good starter for $200 used. But I have been a musician for most of my life (started on piano at age 9) and quickly became dissatisfied with my starter mando, and moved on to what I call mid-range mandos. You may find yourself becoming addicted to mandolin as well (played guitar since my teens but took a long break to raise a family and work before picking it back up a few years ago.) Many of use here play guitar as well as other instruments. Welcome to the addiction!