Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Good camcorder and set up for recording a mandolin

Default Re: Good camcorder and set up for recording a mandolin

Just thought I'd throw in my two cents real quick. I'm a professional photographer and videographer, by trade. For any beginners looking for a good/decent video set-up but don't want to get into the massively confusing and gear-acquisition based world of cameras (just like instrument acquisitions, MAS...)

I'd highly suggest going the route of buying into a DSLR set-up. You can easily buy a very cheap Canon/Nikon (it doesn't matter, honestly) with a mic input and plug a mic into it. The advantage of this is that you don't have to learn how to sync audio and it makes the editing process slightly easier to learn (or you don't have to edit at all.) You can easily buy an older Canon DSLR with a Rode mini shotgun mic and kit lens for less than $400. All you have to do with a set-up like this is plug the mic into the camera, put it on a tripod, and hit go. I use this kind of setup for my Youtube Vlogs and other videos.

You can then always upgrade in the future by buying fancy lenses or new bodies, they're all interchangeable. Just my two cents. Good luck with whatever you do!
    Theo Wecker
    www.theowecker.com

Currently waxing poetic about:
    2008 Weber Buffalo
    2016 Collings MT
    2016 Martin D-18

2. The following members say thank you to Theo W. for this post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Theo W. View Post
    Just thought I'd throw in my two cents real quick. I'm a professional photographer and videographer, by trade. For any beginners looking for a good/decent video set-up but don't want to get into the massively confusing and gear-acquisition based world of cameras (just like instrument acquisitions, MAS...)

I'd highly suggest going the route of buying into a DSLR set-up. You can easily buy a very cheap Canon/Nikon (it doesn't matter, honestly) with a mic input and plug a mic into it. The advantage of this is that you don't have to learn how to sync audio and it makes the editing process slightly easier to learn (or you don't have to edit at all.) You can easily buy an older Canon DSLR with a Rode mini shotgun mic and kit lens for less than $400. All you have to do with a set-up like this is plug the mic into the camera, put it on a tripod, and hit go. I use this kind of setup for my Youtube Vlogs and other videos.

You can then always upgrade in the future by buying fancy lenses or new bodies, they're all interchangeable. Just my two cents. Good luck with whatever you do!
    Thanks for the thoughts! If one were to do that would it be possible to set up some way to view what the camera is seeing (in real time) do you could adjust focus or arrange the scene Move closer etc.) so one could actually be able to see what you are filming?
    Bernie
    ____
    Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience.

My relatively inexpensive 24" monitor does have an HDMI input, but this is not always the case. It is not really an issue though. HDMI and DVI (what you typically find on newer computer monitors) are basically the same thing and just need an adapter.

You can get them with full sized HDMI, Mini or micro:
    https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-...words=hdmi+dvi

https://www.amazon.com/SIENOC-1080P-...micro+hdmi+dvi
    Robert Fear
    http://www.folkmusician.com

"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
    " - Pete Seeger

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Folkmusician.com View Post
    My relatively inexpensive 24" monitor does have an HDMI input, but this is not always the case. It is not really an issue though. HDMI and DVI (what you typically find on newer computer monitors) are basically the same thing and just need an adapter.

You can get them with full sized HDMI, Mini or micro:
    https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-...words=hdmi+dvi

https://www.amazon.com/SIENOC-1080P-...micro+hdmi+dvi
    Good idea. And just buying a new computer monitor is certainly not a game stopper.
    Bernie
    ____
    Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie Daniel View Post
    But the other thought I had as I consider all of this is that perhaps 90% of the videos I take will be filming myself alone with an instrument or with two others and so having live screen to monitor in real time what I'm shooting (like the Zoom has) seems like a big advantage?
    Many cameras do have a 'flip out' rotating LCD screen.... so you can use that for framing, etc. Many also have an HDMI output so you can use a separate small monitor or even small TV or PC monitor provided it has an HDMI input.
    Gibson F5 'Harvey' Fern, Gibson F5 'Derrington' Fern
    Distressed Silverangel F 'Esmerelda' aka 'Maxx'
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288
    '39 & '45 D-18's, 1950 D-28.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by almeriastrings View Post
    Many cameras do have a 'flip out' rotating LCD screen.... so you can use that for framing, etc. Many also have an HDMI output so you can use a separate small monitor or even small TV or PC monitor provided it has an HDMI input.
    True. In fact I have a Samsung monitor for my main desktop -- pulled it out a few minutes ago and it has an HDMI in port on it!
    Bernie
    ____

Bernie,

Yes! Most "vlogging" or mid-level DSLRs do have a rotating LCD screen. But even if they don't (my cameras don't) you can easily connect your phone to most Canon (and likely soon Nikon) cameras so you can monitor your view with your smartphone/tablet while you play.
    Theo Wecker
    www.theowecker.com

Currently waxing poetic about:
    2008 Weber Buffalo
    2016 Collings MT
    2016 Martin D-18

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Theo W. For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Theo W. View Post
    Bernie,

Yes! Most "vlogging" or mid-level DSLRs do have a rotating LCD screen. But even if they don't (my cameras don't) you can easily connect your phone to most Canon (and likely soon Nikon) cameras so you can monitor your view with your smartphone/tablet while you play.
    That would be cool. Thanks!

So it would be a pin jack to a micro USB cable needed then?

Also, I suppose that the phone does not have to be active (or have a SIM card) in order to work? That is I could just charge up my old (retired) cell phone and use that for a video monitor?
    Bernie
    ____

Most of the newer cameras support WIFI control via phone/tablet. There are a few exceptions that do not (Sony A6000 for example). The image will be low res with a slight delay. I have also had ongoing connection issues where it drops. Still highly usable for setting up and controlling shots and making sure you are in frame.

One note. If you are using anything unbalanced (mic cables), wifi can cause interference. It doesn't always, but sometimes I have to put everything in airplane mode.
    Robert Fear

"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
    " - Pete Seeger

I have the Zoom 2Qn and while the audio is great, the video is very underwhelming. I prefer using my Sony Cybershot HX80 for video, as audio is not much worse than the Zoom 2Qn and the video is light years better. I have a Zoom H2n audio recorder that is great. Sometimes when I record video I'll set up my Sony, Zoom Q2n, and iPhone SE in different locations in the hope that one will turn out nice. iPhone recordings are handy for little clips to post on social media but otherwise pretty limited.

Here is a comparison video I made awhile back of the above mentioned cameras:

13. The following members say thank you to Seter for this post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Seter View Post
    Here is a comparison video I made awhile back of the above mentioned cameras:
    If shooting indoors, especially with cheaper cameras, low light will cause all kinds of problems. One issue you have there (most noticeable on the iPhone footage) is that the autofocus is 'jumping' all over the place. Where possible, turn AF off and shoot on manual focus. The problem is of, course, that many phone cameras and lower end video cameras lack any form of manual focus...getting the light levels up and trying to keep everything 'flat on' i.e., parallel to the camera can help. Ideally, good lighting + a camera that has decent AF and manual controls is the best solution. Good illustration of the differences between these various cameras.
    Gibson F5 'Harvey' Fern, Gibson F5 'Derrington' Fern
    Distressed Silverangel F 'Esmerelda' aka 'Maxx'
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288
    '39 & '45 D-18's, 1950 D-28.

15. The following members say thank you to almeriastrings for this post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Seter View Post
    ...Zoom 2Qn...Sony Cybershot HX80...iPhone SE ....Here is a comparison video I made awhile back of the above mentioned cameras...

Thanks. That was a great comparison and very useful example. Actually I was not "offended" by any of your recordings but I know that different individuals have different standards and expectations. The location of the recorders relative to you was not exactly the same in all the examples -- or was it?
    Bernie
    ____

If filming on a semi recent iPhone/Android:

https://www.filmicpro.com

Gives manual control and will also allow a higher quality codec. Can even use a second device as a remote. IE: point the phone at you with the front facing camera (better quality), then control and monitor from a tablet or another phone.
    Robert Fear

" - Pete Seeger

Placement varied from song to song but same placement within each song, each camera has a different field of view though so it looks different. That is good to know about the iPhone and manual control. It would be interesting to repeat outdoors and in other settings.

Those closest thing I have to that is these two videos:

Zoom Q2n:

Sony HX80: