Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: UPS "Grind" Delivery

Blog Entries

Default Re: UPS "Grind" Delivery

I have a theory that the longer a package is in the hands of a carrier, the more likely it is to be badly damaged. I pay to get anything important shipped by either next-day or 2-day delivery. I've received a number of mandolins and other instruments that way. No problems so far.
    -- Don

"Music: A minor auditory irritation occasionally characterized as pleasant."
    "It is a lot more fun to make music than it is to argue about it."

2002 Gibson F-9
    2016 MK LFSTB
    1975 Suzuki taterbug (plus many other noisemakers)
    [About how I tune my mandolins]
    [Our recent arrival]

2. The following members say thank you to dhergert for this post:

That is a one out of a thousand package. I have received them like this from all carriers. Over the years, USPS has done the least damage by far. They just don't have great tracking and can be near impossible to deal with if something goes wrong. FedEx and UPS have been about equal and vary by region. The real common one is footprints. Something like 30% of the large packages (boxes of cases, etc.) have imbedded footprints on them. I am not sure what stage this is happening.
    Robert Fear
    http://www.folkmusician.com

"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
    " - Pete Seeger

4. The following members say thank you to Folkmusician.com for this post:

This Kid Needs Practice Bill Clements's Avatar

I didn't mention this, but I had to pay UPS a $40 dollar "entry prep fee" to get the package through customs, over and beyond shipping. Brian explained it as UPS' fee for helping the shipment zip through official customs, which UPS pays to get preferential treatment. ...oh well...
    In all fairness, I've never had an issue with bashed boxes like this before with UPS. I guess I was due!
    I pay to get anything important shipped by either next-day or 2-day delivery.
    Not a bad suggestion, Don!
    "Music is the only noise for which one is obliged to pay." ~ Alexander Dumas

Quote Originally Posted by dhergert View Post
    I have a theory that the longer a package is in the hands of a carrier, the more likely it is to be badly damaged. I pay to get anything important shipped by either next-day or 2-day delivery. I've received a number of mandolins and other instruments that way. No problems so far.
    Great suggestion, Don! I noticed some of the big vintage dealers on eBay occasionally charge $300 or so for overnight shipping within the USA on mega-expensive instruments. Makes sense, less handling time in addition to high insurance value should make the delivery guy pay attention -- or one would think?

In this case, the sender was from Canada sending to the USA, so I'm not sure if overnight service would be possible, considering Customs and the high cost of overnight service.

many years ago I worked for Purolator courier, an in my 6 1/2 years there I only broke one package of light bulbs. not bad for working in Manhattan. plus no accidents.

8. The following members say thank you to mandolin tony for this post:

I like to take pride in my job what ever I do.

10. The following members say thank you to mandolin tony for this post:

Echoing Dhergert's post above, I am also of the mind that minimizing the time the instrument is in transit increases the survival odds.

To that end, I always send/receive instruments via the fastest affordable means possible...and will gladly pay the extra fee for guaranteed early morning delivery, if available.

Relatedly, I have been using Fed Ex pretty much exclusively and have had no issues with dozens of mandolin transactions. (Of course, now that I've said that...)

Cheers
    2017 Ellis F5 Special #438

I received this 1930 ALCOA a couple of years ago from a shipper with the box completely destroyed and the neck sticking out 2 foot and bent sideways. I was charged $500 to ship this domestically about five states away. The shipper refused to pay out a claim. The sender refused to pay out a claim. Paypal refused to payout a claim. 'Extremely frustrating as I already had it sold to another person who was patiently waiting for the delivery; every single person involved acted like it was somehow my fault

The last photo is what it looked like when it left my shop after approx. 150 hours of work later....

j.
    www.condino.com
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN2129.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	414.6 KB 
ID:	171057   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	shipping damaged alcoa  7.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	419.7 KB 
ID:	171058   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	condino alcoa 1.jpg 
Views:	133 
Size:	570.3 KB 
ID:	171059  

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to j. condino For This Useful Post:

Historically I've always tried to limit the time that instruments spend in trucks/trains/airplanes whatever. Beyond the obvious handling issues there are the issues of being bumped along the road for days and the extreme temperature differences inside trailers and rail cars.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

15. The following members say thank you to MikeEdgerton for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by grandcanyonminstrel View Post
    I received this 1930 ALCOA a couple of years ago from a shipper with the box completely destroyed and the neck sticking out 2 foot and bent sideways. I was charged $500 to ship this domestically about five states away. The shipper refused to pay out a claim. The sender refused to pay out a claim. Paypal refused to payout a claim. 'Extremely frustrating as I already had it sold to another person who was patiently waiting for the delivery; every single person involved acted like it was somehow my fault

The last photo is what it looked like when it left my shop after approx. 150 hours of work later....

j.
    www.condino.com
    That thing was beautiful when it left your shop. Not so much when it arrived.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

17. The following members say thank you to MikeEdgerton for this post: