Thread: another dpa 4099 question

Default another dpa 4099 question

Sorry but~~~
    I decided I want an instrument Microphone for my Collings MT2 that is coming after much thought & research. Thinking about the dpa 4099.
    Question is about the earlier version and the new Core version. Is there enough difference to warrant buying new for the $619.00 or looking for a used one for around $350-400.

thanks in advance

Default Re: another dpa 4099 question

I looked at their site, and didn't see a reference to CORE...?
    Please expand.
    Ok , I found and read about core...are previous models non core? It seems to be part of dynamic range and distortion, which might not be in the range of output of a mandolin.
    2007 Weber Custom Elite "old wood"
    2017 Ratliff R5 Custom #1148
    Several nice old Fiddles
    2007 Martin 000-15S 12 fret Auditorium-slot head
    Deering Classic Open Back
    Too many microphones

BridgerCreekBoys.com

Here is a link;
    https://www.dpamicrophones.com/dvote...ent-microphone

I may be wrong but looks to be improved. I would much rather spend the $$$ up front then to start buying and selling to be dissapointed. Or should I start with AT so I can afford it & the other gear needed?

I can't believe that any 4099 would ever disappoint.

That said, I would go for the AT Pro 35. In 99% of live settings, it would be difficult to hear any difference. The AT is a good, reliable mic that will faithfully reproduce the tones you're putting out. That's all anyone can really ask for.
    Mitch Russell

I'm not sure about any other differences, but the original DPA 4099 had a fixed cable attached to the gooseneck. The new ones are detachable at the gooseneck. All my 4099's are the older series, and while I haven't damaged any yet, I have stepped on the cable more than once. A replaceable cable would be an advantage.

I used the AT 350 (similar to Pro 35) before I got into the DPA mics. There is an audible difference to my ears, with the 4099 having a slightly smoother response and a little better feedback rejection. A little crisp on the highs, but I tame that with EQ. In some cases it can be an advantage. Like mic'ing up my guitar partner who hasn't changed his strings often enough.

The 4099 capsule and windscreen is also a little smaller than the Pro 35, which helps with the visual appearance, if you care about that sort of thing (probably more important for fiddle players). Finally, the DPA mounting system is the best one out there, although it's possible to buy just the violin/mandolin clamp and mount an AT mic with some creative tape work.

I bought one at the beginning of summer (4099v) and am really impressed with it. It reproduces the tone of the mandolin like it should. I've tried pickups and really prefer this to everything I've tried so far. It sounds exactly like the mandolin, but louder.
    ... not all those who wander are lost ...

Thanks! Having the Cable detach at the mic does make the newer one more attractive. Was just trying save a few bucks but then I am waiting on a Collings!

I own a dpa:4099, an AT 35 pro, and a an AT 350. All three are great mics for live micing scenarios. That said, all three should be used with a decent pre-amp (my favorite is the Felix by Grace Design). Out of the three, I prefer the 4099 for mandolin -- the mount is designed for mandolin -- the AT's need something to clip onto. As has been mentioned, I think the 4099 has a warmer sound and, IMO, reproduces the sound of the instrument more acurately. The pre-amp also has a lot to do with it.

If you can find a used 4099 in good shape, you can't go wrong.
    ========================
    2012 Gibson F5 Master Model
    2019 Northfield F5 Artist 5 Bar
    2019 Northfield Arched Octave Maple
    2020 Northfield F5 4.0

Thanks guys! just ordered the dpa 4099 and it should be here by the 1st of next week. Now on to a PA

I don't think any special preamp is necessary for the DPA 4099 or AT Pro 35. They're designed to work with any pro-level mic input. I've used my 4099's straight into a mixer as a mic input and they work fine. I've used them wired with the appropriate connector into a body pack wireless transmitter, and they also work fine.

There may be situations where you might want a preamp ahead of the PA system with these mics, but it's not for audio quality. For a short while, I used a Sound Devices MP-1 battery mic preamp with the 4099 on my mandolin, so I could feed it to a floor tuner pedal and then out to the PA. Turned out to be too much work, so I don't do that anymore.... just send it straight to the mixer. You may want a floor pedal like the Grace mentioned above for EQ ahead of your PA system, but if you're running your own mixer or can trust the house PA, it's not essential.
    Last edited by foldedpath; Sep-10-2018 at 10:29pm.

Blog Entries

I also have the DPA 4099, ATM 350 and a Pro 35. All three are excellent. On some instruments I prefer the DPA, on others the ATM350. Both of these are as good as it gets with clip-on mics. The PRO 35 is incredible value and surprisingly close to the far more expensive ones... The latest DPA's sound the same as the 'old' ones to my ears. The main difference is in the modular connection system. If you are working with grungy cheap mixers then going line-in after a good preamp is a good idea, but I have to say that I don't ever need to do that myself. I go straight into the excellent QSC Touchmix or Allen & Heath QU series preamps both of which are more than good enough for even the most critical live applications. I also run any and all necessary EQ via the consoles. With digital desks, you can just save individual instrument 'snapshots' and profiles for instant recall. None of these mics normally require 'heavy' EQ, though... just a bit of LF roll-off and minor tweaking. They sound great off the bat...
    Gibson F5 'Harvey' Fern, Gibson F5 'Derrington' Fern
    Distressed Silverangel F 'Esmerelda' aka 'Maxx'
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288
    '39 & '45 D-18's, 1950 D-28.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by foldedpath View Post
    For a short while, I used a Sound Devices MP-1 battery mic preamp
    Those are excellent. I have the Mixpre-D myself, and they are simply superb. Hands-down the best field-recording preamps out there. Incredibly flexible. I run my Mixpre-D either as extra channels into the SD 633 via the TA3 line inputs or to add channel 5/6 on a Zoom F4. Absolutely love the SD stuff.... solid as a rock and lovely to operate.
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288

I have two of the older DPA's. One going on 8 years, without any issues. (knocking on wood) I don't use a preamp, I go direct into my Acoustic Image Corus and use the DI from there if I need to send a signal to the board. The only reason I want something else in the chain is to have a silent/mute button that doesn't pop. I'd already have a Felix if both inputs supported phantom power.

Quote Originally Posted by foldedpath View Post
    I don't think any special preamp is necessary for the DPA 4099 or AT Pro 35. They're designed to work with any pro-level mic input. I've used my 4099's straight into a mixer as a mic input and they work fine. I've used them wired with the appropriate connector into a body pack wireless transmitter, and they also work fine.

There may be situations where you might want a preamp ahead of the PA system with these mics, but it's not for audio quality. For a short while, I used a Sound Devices MP-1 battery mic preamp with the 4099 on my mandolin, so I could feed it to a floor tuner pedal and then out to the PA. Turned out to be too much work, so I don't do that anymore.... just send it straight to the mixer. You may want a floor pedal like the Grace mentioned above for EQ ahead of your PA system, but if you're running your own mixer or can trust the house PA, it's not essential.

How did you feed to a pedal tuner?

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Griffin View Post
    How did you feed to a pedal tuner?
    XLR output from the DPA 4099 to a Sound Devices MP-1 battery mic preamp, line output from there to a Peterson strobe tuner pedal. Then the balanced output from the tuner pedal to the PA mixer.

Another way to do this, would be to run the DPA 4099 to a wireless body pack transmitter (needs the right adapter plug), then put a compact pedalboard-type wireless receiver on a small pedal board with the tuner. Full freedom of motion, and you can use a tuner pedal or whatever else you want on the floor for effects. Then run the pedal board output to the PA.

Blog Entries

There's also this. Purpose built for providing FX loops for microphones (and which also provides its own +48v):

https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews...de-mixing-link
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288

I recently became aware of the Dual Mix 2 from AER. Has anyone had an opportunity to try it out?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Seale View Post
    I recently became aware of the Dual Mix 2 from AER. Has anyone had an opportunity to try it out?
    AER makes quality gear, but from a quick glance at the store pages, it looks like it needs to run off an AC adapter. Someone correct me if that's wrong. The Sound Devices MP-1 mentioned earlier is battery powered, so it can be used to run the DPA 4099 (or Pro 35) on a battery-based pedal setup.

If you're running a powered pedal board, this might be one solution. Although I'm not crazy about this EQ setup. It looks very limited, and targeted more for the jazz guitar audience that's the primary market for AER amplifiers.

19. The following members say thank you to foldedpath for this post:

After ordering I became aware just how expensive the dpa 4099 was going to be. Not just the mic but everything having to do with it, adapters, cords etc. so I changed my mind and have an AT Pro35 coming. I also ordered a dpa violin clip & will adapt it to the Pro35.
    To start making a complete setup I have a Rolls PB224 & adapter cords coming. The PB224 can be battery powered so it fits my needs for now.
    Thanks again for all of you help!

Quote Originally Posted by prairieschooner View Post
    After ordering I became aware just how expensive the dpa 4099 was going to be. Not just the mic but everything having to do with it, adapters, cords etc. so I changed my mind and have an AT Pro35 coming. I also ordered a dpa violin clip & will adapt it to the Pro35.
    To start making a complete setup I have a Rolls PB224 & adapter cords coming. The PB224 can be battery powered so it fits my needs for now.
    Thanks again for all of you help!
    Yeah, the DPA stuff is very expensive by the time it reaches a USA retailer. I remember paying something like $60 for a tiny adapter plug for a wireless body pack.

Are you planning on putting a preamp after that Rolls PB224? As far as I can tell, that box is only for supplying phantom power. There is no signal gain, and you'd need that to send a hot enough signal to effect pedals. On the other hand, it might be good for powering the mic and sending the signal to an acoustic amp that didn't supply phantom power.

22. The following members say thank you to foldedpath for this post:

Rolls for phantom power. We travel 6-8 months out of the year (3-4 months in the bus during the winter and another 2-3 traveling in a vintage Airstream during the summer). Some of the time we may not have shore power. Thinking the Bose S1 Pro for a portable amp but that can wait 'til winter or later next year.

PS: When I was discussing this with Sweetwater the guy told me that DPA sets the price and the distributors must adhere to it. What really bothered me is everything that goes with the dpa 4099 is proprietary! From the Micro Dot cable to the adapters. You must have bought that adapter a while ago since everything I was looking at is $100.00 or more, not saying here isn't something for less just what I was looking at.
    Maybe if I were in a Symphony Orchestra or similar I might have to change my mind but for now the AT Pro 35 should be just fine.

Blog Entries

One advantage of the Audio Technica's is that they operate with a wide range of phantom power via the XLR adapters (they are fine on only 12v, for example). The DPA's require a full 48v +/- 4V. This can be very useful if running from battery sources.
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288

26. The following members say thank you to almeriastrings for this post: