Thread: washboards -- video of last factory and festival

Default washboards -- video of last factory and festival

Here's an interesting little video about both the last washboard manufacturer in the US and the Logan, Ohio washboard festival, of interest to anyone interested in jug-band, Cajun, or old-time music. I almost said "no mandolin content", but Washboard Hank, in the video, has a mandolin in his band. He's from Peterborough, Ontario. I booked him with Ken Ramsden, Hank's former musical partner to play a highly entertaining children's concert at Mariposa Sundays in Toronto many years ago when he was a slim young man. (I'm almost certain that wearable steel washboards, specifically for Cajun and Zydeco music are being crafted in Louisiana or Texas.)

If the links don't work, on YouTube search for "Washboards: Good Clean Fun CBS".

https://www.cbsnews.com/video/washbo...ood-clean-fun/

https://www.cbsnews.com/video/washbo...ood-clean-fun/

(For some reason, the video screen isn't coming in, for me at least, but please don't tell me how to insert a video as I've done this many times before.)
    Last edited by Ranald; Sep-08-2018 at 9:34am. Reason: video troubles
    Robert Johnson's mother, describing blues musicians:
    "I never did have no trouble with him until he got big enough to be round with bigger boys and off from home. Then he used to follow all these harp blowers, mandoleen (sic) and guitar players."
    Lomax, Alan, The Land where The Blues Began, NY: Pantheon, 1993, p.14.

2. The following members say thank you to Ranald for this post:

Default Re: washboards -- video of last factory and festival

Me and my gal went last year (2017) There were some good bands. I had a feeling that there was a prerequisite that the band had to use a washboard. Some bands seemed to have just bought one to get the gig. Still good music but I got a chuckle out of noticing that.

The rest of the festival was meh. Every other booth was some church telling me where I’m heading if I don’t attend their church. Then the usual junk jewelry and leather goods. In the whole place only 2 booths were selling washboards. One was the chamber of commerce and they were selling the locally made washboards. Then there was some couple selling homemade dickie type wearable washboards made of half round dowels attached to nylon straps. They sounded awesome. I regret to this day not purchasing one.

Now if you plan a trip to Logan, a much nicer festival is the Lilyfest. Lots of musicians, lilies (of course) food that is a notch above what you usually find at festivals and at a beautiful location. Also included is a Viking based crafts area. Very relaxing. It hilly there and they have kids that pull little Red wagons that will haul your purchase back to your car for you. Generally the walk is downhill. If needed they will haul you back uphill in a golf cart.

============
    ~Music self-played is happiness self-made
    覧覧覧覧覧
    Loar LM-590
    Kentucky KM-272

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dave Fultz For This Useful Post:

Default Re: washboards -- video of last factory and festival

That was a nice story. I wonder if over at the "Washboard Cafe" they have endless discussions about the best thimbles to buy and the best washboard for under $20.oo.
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Charles E. For This Useful Post: