Thread: Mandolins as Art

Default Mandolins as Art

Thinking back, way before I considered playing one, I always thought mandolins were beautiful objects. Well crafted instruments in general are. If you get a chance check out the Smithsonian museaum. Many years ago they had Scott Chinery's blue arch top guitar collection, an amazing tour de force of craftsmanship.

Since playing mandolin, I've been drawn to these beautiful objects as useful tools on top of their beauty. I have no problem with those able to buy upper level mandolins. No one has to try to convince me they sound better. Maybe they do, maybe they don't. Aesthetic beauty is plenty reason enough.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

Default Re: Mandolins as Art

it's been fun living near Dave Cohen. I've seen him build all sizes and shapes of mandolin-shaped and guitar-shaped objects. Different woods, inlays, bindings, and the like. To me, I really have no, "Ear" for instruments other than guitar or mandolin. I mean what do I know about mando-cello and such? I just know they are cool and made in his unique styles.

Beyond sound, feel and playability, I too agree, there's, "The look." Each of us may wear jeans, but we pick them carefully and often not based on durability.

I'd think folks that play other instruments gravitate towards, "The look." I think of Liberace. I also think of Hartford.

f-d
    ˇpapá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

3. The following members say thank you to fatt-dad for this post:

JRG 

My very first thoughts on seeing a photo of an F style mandolin decades ago,was 'how beautiful' !. It was years before i actually saw one 'in the wood',but my thoughts remained the same,& they still remain the same today. IMHO - they have to be one of the most elegant musical instrument designs ever . This 'Trinity' model from Jonathan McClanahan made my jaw drop when i saw it,
    Ivan
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Trinity front view 1 ..jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	151.0 KB 
ID:	170848

Br1ck - I have the book ''The Chinery Collection'' & it has photos & the background info.on all the 'Blue Guitars' that Scott Chinery had built,plus all the other instrument treasures that he collected.

Name:	The Chinery Collection.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	22.8 KB 
ID:	170849
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

I think musical instruments are the ultimate display of craftsmanship and artistry as they not only are art on their own but put one in the lap of a musician and you just plain have got IT !!!

There are definitely qualities about mandolins that are compelling beyond the playing and the music they make. I have six and want another one. I believe the small size is part of the magic along with a certain romantic mystique they conjure up. It's like collecting art, just so pleasing to the eye and also to touch.

As I have so recently proven, not everyone is capable of binding an f style to a very high standard. My job looks great from five feet away.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I always appreciated the understated elegance of just maybe a flower pot or something on a bound headstock.
    We are the music makers,
    And we are the dreamers of dreams

I agree, there is something to be said for understated elegance, then watch Audy Ratliff's custom mandolin YouTube video series for the over the top end of the spectrum.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

From Br1ck - "....there is something to be said for understated elegance,...". You mean like this "A" style headstock from John Hamlett ?. ''Simply'' stunning !!,
    Ivan

Name:	John Hamlet A style headstock.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	385.2 KB 
ID:	170931
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Kelsall View Post
    From Br1ck - "....there is something to be said for understated elegance,...". You mean like this "A" style headstock from John Hamlett ?. ''Simply'' stunning !!,
    Ivan

Name:	John Hamlet A style headstock.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	385.2 KB 
ID:	170931
    Perfection. Not too bland, but not excessively florid. Tasteful elegance at it's peak.
    We are the music makers,
    And we are the dreamers of dreams