Thread: Ashbury AT-40 and Ibanez ATV1

Default Ashbury AT-40 and Ibanez ATV1

Hi guys,

I have a Warren Ellis electric tenor guitar which I really love, and I'm now looking for an acoustic tenor. They are hard to come by where I live in Perth, Australia, so probably will have one imported. I have looked online and narrowed it down to either an Ashbury AT-40 or an Ibanez ATV1. Does anyone have any experience with either of these?

I am going to the UK for three weeks this weekend, and I can either pick up the Ashbury in the UK and have a guitar to play on holiday, then ship to Perth before I leave, or I can wait until I return and get the Ibanez from Sweetwater and have it sent to Perth. Once shipping etc has been factored in, the Ibanez will cost around $30 more than the Ashbury.

Should I get the Ashbury or hold out for the Ibanez? If anyone has any experience with both of these instruments, please help! I can't find much info about the Ashbury online.

Thank you,
    Steeplemouth

Guernsey... small island just off the coast of France

Default Re: Ashbury AT-40 and Ibanez ATV1

I think they will be of similar quality but very different in looks, so a bit of a personal choice.
    The Blueridge is a very good guitar but unfortunately pretty expensive in the U.K.
    Some of the bigger shops might have second hade tenors for sale.

I live in South Australia and last December picked up a Blueridge BR-40TCE Acoustic/Electric from Zenith Music, Claremont, Perth.
    www.zenithmusic.com.au

cheers
    Jim

I'd look towards the Blueridge as well, if you can get it in Australia for a decent price. It is better than both the guitars that you mentioned above, but I don't know how the pricing compares where you are. Likely shipping would be much less than from overseas.

It looks like the Ashbury AT-40 has a laminate top and is setup with GDAE tuning (in the USA called Octave Mandolin). It looks like you could have it setup for CGDA before shipping http://www.scayles.co.uk/ProductDetails?ID=MjE5NQ==

Ibanez AVT1 has a solid spruce top and is setup CGDA. I'd personally lean towards the solid top instrument.

What about the Ashbury AT-14 with solid spruce top and laminated mahogany back and sides?
    http://www.scayles.co.uk/ProductDetails?ID=MTk4OA==
    Looks to be not much more in cost than the AT-40
    The only downside I see to the AT-14 is 12 fret neck join vs 14 fret on the AT-40, Ibanez & Blueridge. If you play up the neck that might be an issue. If you don't play much above the 12th, then no big deal.

Blueridge looks to be considerably more money, at least in the UK. I'd look around and see if you can find the Blueridge BR-40T without the cutaway and electronics, from somewhere in Australia and see what the cost is.

Why would you not travel with the guitar instead of shipping if you buy it on holiday?

5. The following members say thank you to colorado_al for this post:

fox 

Might also consider the Ibanez PFT2 for $179
    https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...ral-high-gloss