Thread: K&K Pickup or Microphone on Collings?

Default K&K Pickup or Microphone on Collings?

I have tried to research this but could really use some advice specific to a Collings MT-2. I am anticipating a new MT-2 and even though don't need it now but curious which would be best for future needs. Since the Collings is not cheap I surely don't want to screw it up but since it is on order should I consider it now?
    Maybe just wait until later?

Thanks in advance

2. The following members say thank you to prairieschooner for this post:

Default Re: K&K Pickup or Microphone on Collings?

I feel a microphone sounds best on any instrument on the outside. The sound inside is not what we hear outside of the instrument. Not sure if that is what you meant. With that said I would have the K&K installed so it would be there should you ever need it and you can play with any mic you like if you don't.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

4. The following members say thank you to pops1 for this post:

I have a K&K in the mandolin I've been gigging with and it does a solid job. Highly recommend if you want a transducer type pickup. Also recommend running into a good pre-amp though.

6. The following members say thank you to bradeasley for this post:

bass player gone mando

A vote here for a K&K twin. Mics are a pain for a variety of reasons - placement, feedback, impedance issues. My best gigging mando is a Collings MT-O with a K&K twin, and I also have K&Ks in my Weber mandolas and recently put one in my Collings MF5-O, after first thinking I shouldn't. I play upright bass too and the issues are the same with both instruments if you're gigging. Have a pro install the K&K (for mando, different pickup for upright) and get a good preamp like the Radial PZ-Pre.
    Collings MT O
    Collings MF5 0
    Weber Gallatin Mandola
    Weber Bitterroot Mandola
    Weber Sage Octave

8. The following members say thank you to chuck3 for this post:

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

Optimally you will want a good mic and a good transducer with pre-amp. In some rooms a mic works great in some rooms you will need to use a transducer. K&K , L R Baggs and Fishman all make good transducers. Pre-amps are not always required depending on the amp or board but it is good to have one in your gear. One that has battery operation as an option saves trouble as often as not. Art and LR Baggs make good transducers. Microphones are a mixed bag as there are so many brands. One type and make that does a good job is a Shure SM 57 or 58 dynamic cardioid mic. They are tough and relatively inexpensive. R/
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to UsuallyPickin For This Useful Post:

bass player gone mando

I will add - I'm an oval hole guy and if you're talking f-hole I could see why you might prefer a mic. I am not a technical expert but from experience I can say that ovals and f-holes have some differences in this regard.
    Collings MT O
    Collings MF5 0
    Weber Gallatin Mandola
    Weber Bitterroot Mandola
    Weber Sage Octave

12. The following members say thank you to chuck3 for this post:

Maybe try both:
    Being right is overrated. Doing right is what matters.

Northfield F5S Blacktop
    Pono MND-20H

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to gspiess For This Useful Post:

mandolin slinger Steve Ostrander's Avatar

The truest sound reproduction will come from a mic. Especially for recording, I would always choose a mic over a piezo. Mics are very position sensitive. You have to find the sweet spot and keep it there. Mics can be prone to feedback in high volume situations.

I have a K&K installed in my gigging mando and I love it. I move around too much for mic use. The K&K picks up the mando and only the mando and not extraneous noise. We don't have a sound man, so its just easier if I control my own level.
    Living’ in the Mitten

16. The following members say thank you to Steve Ostrander for this post:

Thanks guys,
    Great advice all, thinking I should have the K&K installed even if not used for awhile. I am curious about a clip on microphone but then his video does make the K&K a good investment

What are some of the best preamps to use with a K and K system?

I wound't venture to make a recommendation without first understanding what type of music you play, where you play it, and what is most important to you.

If you're looking for the very best sound reproduction for a string band type ensemble, with medium loud amplification needs, then a mic is usually the best choice. They will generally sound as close as possible to the way the instrument sounds acoustically. But they also require knowledge on how to set up properly, especially if running through the house sound boards at different venues. You also have to play exactly the same distance away to get the same volume, which has a bit of a learning curve.

An internal pickup can be the closest thing possible to plug and play. Just set the board at the 12 o'clock position, and dial in the sound with the preamp. The next board should sound very similar if set the same way. They are also great if you're playing with a lot of other instruments, or if some are electrified. But the sound will suffer, and always have a bit of a twhacky sound. That's not that important in a rock/folk band, but it's a big deal in a bluegrass band if everyone else is using a mic.
    A quarter tone flat and a half a beat behind.

I play in a 4 piece band, I put K&Ks in my Collings MF, run it through a Red Eye preamp (nice solo boost switch on it), into a powered mixer, and I added a Boss GE-7 EQ for tone sculpting (makes a big difference!).
    Nothing would prevent me from using a mic if I chose to, but I'll never choose to live because we're jamming loud, singing all the time, moving around on stage, easier to control plugged in and set the volume/tone. Maybe recording I would use a mic.
    Collings MF Gloss Top mandolin, Kentucky KM-1000 mandolin, Godin A-8 electric mandolin, Pono Ukulele, Gold Tone PBS Signature Resonator guitar, Martin/Taylor 6 & 12 string acoustic guitars, Les Paul/ES-335/LP Jr./Strat/Tele elec guitars.

I am also a Red Eye fan. I have used Orchid, Fishman and K&K, but like the RedEye best. It has lots of headroom and very few controls, doesn't seem to need them. I adjust the treble control, the only tone control, and on some systems and on one mandolin I bump the bass on my channel. We are playing thru 4 or 5" speakers on that system, and the mandolin seems to like the boost for the G string. Mostly on my main mandolin I play flat and get a great sound.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

K&K Preamp!

I may be the last one living, but I would learn how to set up a mic which I think is as easy as learning to use the piezo from all the questions about what you need with one. Someone said plug it in and go then why all the question and suggestion. I would learn to stand still if that is what it takes, although I don't think it does and I don't when performing,to use a mic. If I couldn't do that I'd sell my mandolins and buy a Rouge cause they all sound electric with pic ups so the cheapest is as good as an expensive one IMO.

Dave Sheets

I hear a really big difference between K&K pickups in a good mandolin, and a factory piezo bridge pickup on a cheap fender mandolin. I use the fender in dive bars, playing folk rock, and it gets the job done, but it's not the same. I do think a condenser mike is better than the K&K under ideal conditions, but I seldom play in ideal conditions. Did a bit of recording with a ribbon mike a friend owned- oh my, what a sound.
    -Dave
    Flatiron A
    Way too many other instruments

25. The following members say thank you to Dave Sheets for this post:

Love those ribbon mics for any and all things. Use them live every where I could, and as I got better aquatinted with them that became about everywhere we played.

Registered User Andrew Faltesek's Avatar

I self-installed a K&K twin internal on my Weber STE Prototype (F-style) with standard Fishman .25" switchjack; and over much time it qualified as a very good choice. It sounds out very sweet and clean through a Fishman Loudbox Performer amplifier and it would be hard to do better in my opinion with this combo. It's passive, so consider that. With the Performer there is no need for preamp or DB.

Nothing stops you from using a mic on the PA (ambient) also, but I like the complete control through the Fishman which has plenty volume & feedback control whatever the space and no worries about adapting to the PA system, direct-box etc. as you never know invention with the particular system.

Bottom line...K&K is a very good choice.

OMG not sure why post is flagged as 3 AM but its 11 o-clock here...

I have a K&K in one of my mandos, and it does a great job. However, I've been reluctant to put one in my NF F5S. For those that use mics, what mics do you prefer to use for gigs? I'm especially interested in opinions on small vs large diaphragm condenser mics for live scenarios.

Blog Entries

There are any number of mics that will work.... in fact, you can make almost any mic work. Some take more work than others, however.

Since I picked these up a while back, I am still using them (in preference to many other mics I have access to, some of which are 10X the price):

https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/s...condenser-mics

There are also the 'old standby' examples... SM81, AT PRO 37 and whole bunch more....

In truth, most things will work if you get them set up correctly.
    Gibson F5 'Harvey' Fern, Gibson F5 'Derrington' Fern
    Distressed Silverangel F 'Esmerelda' aka 'Maxx'
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288
    '39 & '45 D-18's, 1950 D-28.

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to almeriastrings For This Useful Post:

mandolin slinger Steve Ostrander's Avatar

For recording I’d use a mic. For live gigs I’d use a K&k, Unless it was a traditional bluegrass lgig, then maybe a condenser mic.
    Living’ in the Mitten

Question Re: K&K Pickup or Microphone on Collings?

Sam B did both, as I read (too small a remote town to get big stars out here)

Pickup to the monitor, Mic to the mains..

writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Quote Originally Posted by almeriastrings View Post
    There are any number of mics that will work.... in fact, you can make almost any mic work. Some take more work than others, however.

There are also the 'old standby' examples... SM81, AT PRO 37 and whole bunch more.
    You should add the Sennheiser e614 to your list. It responds rapidly and is small and nimble. I have one mic stand with a Sennheiser vocal mic up high, my iPad clamped on in the middle, and the e614 down low and pointing up towards the treble f-hole. I know people say that they like to move around stage, but as the singer I have to stay near the vocal mic anyway, and we have so many songs that I need to see the iPad. Thus, the instrument mic was my choice. It requires a 48-V phantom supply, but my Carvin AG200 has that. At the current price of $99.95, I don't see why more people don't give the Sennheiser a serious look. NFI on my part.

https://en-us.sennheiser.com/instrum...d-string-e-614
    "Those who know don't have the words to tell, and the ones with the words don't know so well." - Bruce Cockburn

34. The following members say thank you to Teak for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by jab View Post
    and I added a Boss GE-7 EQ for tone sculpting (makes a big difference!).
    Agreed. One of the best things I ever got.
    David A. Gordon

36. The following members say thank you to Dagger Gordon for this post:

derbex 

Somewhere south of Denver and north of Pueblo

Both. I would say mic if one or the other, but using both mic and pickup covers a much broader sonic area for the guy on the board to sculpt, much easier to control on a board either live or studio, and both will expand overall response. Recording use two separate tracks, mic in one and p/up in the other, totally separate tracks, leaving your options open for mastering.