Thread: Sigma SM23 E Mandolin

Default Sigma SM23 E Mandolin

I just had a friend dump a mandolin into my hands ... it is a Sigma SM23 E an A style in
    excellent condition besides needing strings and a good set up. It is definitely not a
    competitor for my Heiden but put together decently. I did a search but found nothing so
    I'm asking if anyone knows a little about the mandolin. Not needing (or wanting) it myself
    so I'll fix it up and give it to a beginner. Thanks
    Dave
    Heiden A, '52 Martin D-18, Taylor 510, Carlson Custom A with Electronics

Default Re: Sigma SM23 E Mandolin

Sigma guitars used to be a pacrim guitar licenced by Martin. I looked at one in '96 that the top, while solid, was about a quarter inch thick and the soundhole was so rough it had splinters hanging on. I passed without even trying it. I don't know if that has anything to do with this. But for free (I assume, you didn't specify) why not?
    We are the music makers,
    And we are the dreamers of dreams

3. The following members say thank you to Roger Moss for this post:

Sigma was indeed a brand name used by Martin on imported instruments including mandolins. It might have also been used by others. Post a picture.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

My brother has a Sigma “D28” that’s their all laminate model. It doesn’t sound like a pre-war all solid Brazilian D28, that’s for sure, but they got his right. The neck has that high quality “just right” Martin feel, and it sounds better than a lot of 500-1000 dollar guitars I’ve tried in music stores through the years. Doesn’t stand up to my Guild D40(which is truly all the guitar I could ever really need), Yairi D28 clone (which is an absolute beast), or my Taylor 714 (which is the best finger picker of the bunch, and it doesn’t muddy up when strummed hard), nor should it. But it was great for him to learn on, now serves him well as a beater that’s survived enough hot car leavings in to make me shudder, and by a camp fire with the brown flowing, it sounds like a decent guitar. Sure, some were doo doo, but, not all of them.

Now, I’ve only seen a couple of their mandolins, and wasn’t nearly as impressed. But, it’s free, so, yeah, get it nicely playable and let a beginner catch the bug with it!! Good on ya!!
    Chuck

I started on a Sigma A model with f holes, probably from the '70's. Solid spruce top, laminate sides and back. Sounded reasonably good but kind of thin. It had good intonation though. It had Martin's name on the label along with Sigma. If I remember right, it was Korean made. Not a great build, but not lousy either. Came in a really nice case but I don't know if it was original. It was used when I bought it and well set up, in great condition. I learned a lot on it, enjoyed it for a few years, and then sold it for what I paid for it. No complaints from me.
    Purr more, hiss less. Barn Cat Mandolins Photo Album

Doesn't the "E" suffix mean "electric?" The SM 23E's I've seen have had magnetic pickups.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

fishing with my mando darrylicshon's Avatar

I have a sigma sm35 it's a two pointer, I like it a lot , not sure if it's solid or not , it plays well and sounds good
    Ibanez 70's 524, 521, 3 511's,2 512's,513,1 514,3 80s 513's, 522
    J Bovier F5-T custom shop
    Kiso Suzuki V900,
    The Loar lm600 Cherryburst
    morgan monroe mms-5wc,ovation
    Michael Kelly Octave Mandolin
    Emandos Northfield octave tele 4, Northfield custom jem octave mandolin 5 octave strat 8
    2 Flying v 8, octave 5, Exploryer octave 8 20"
    Fender mandostrat 4,3 Epip mandobird 2,4/8, Kentucky. KM300E Eastwood mandocaster
    Gold Tone F6,Badaax doubleneck 8/6

Thank you all, yes I knew the igma history, the mandolin is indeed electric. I should have mentioned in original post. The pickup is in the pickguard with tone and volume controls on the lower treble bout. I couldn't find much on the net except some Google images and one on Reverm (Sold) for $189 USD.I can't post pictures right now as my vision problem you would probably get pictures of everything else around. Yes the tone is thinbut it sounds pretty decent through my little Yamaha THR amp, actually really good. With a little setup and new strings I think it will make a great little mando for a beginner. Again thanks for the help and Mike there is identical image on Google images, dark sunburst, strange shaped pickguard with bar pickup in it. A faux herring bone trim aroud the top. Thanks again.
    Dave
    Heiden A, '52 Martin D-18, Taylor 510, Carlson Custom A with Electronics