Thread: 1921 A-2 pickguard?

Default 1921 A-2 pickguard?

I just picked up a 1921 A-2 blacktop with all original parts except the pickguard. Sounds amazing but the way I drag the back of my right hand nails across the face when picking is doing some damage to the original finish. I'd like to get a pickguard. Any experiences with adding a Cumberland to an instrument like this (I've talked to Steve a bit)? Is it a hopeless quest to find an original one? A quick internet search reveals some pictures but none for sale that I can find.

Teacher, repair person

Default Re: 1921 A-2 pickguard?

The pickguard will have to be fitted to the mandolin. These guards were originally mounted with two nails or pins that fit into holes on the edge of the fingerboard. The spacing and location of the holes varies. A good luthier can mount one easily, a mechanically inclined amateur might be able to mount one if he is careful.

There is an original Gibson mando guard with original mounting clamp is in the classifieds now. The seller is in Maine. It is listed under "1924 Gibson A Pickguard."

Paul Fox sells repros which he has listed on ebay and he shows the guard on the mandolin so you know which is the right one. I think there is a different bracket for mandolins made in about 1925- it is much smaller than earlier examples. Aso there is the guard with the pin that locates into the bridge aspect to consider as well- depending on the date and if you have the original bridge. I have to admit that the cost of original pickguards is often quite scary- especially those with the bracket included. However, they are out there.

Here is Paul Fox's site. He will be able to advise you if you want a repro: http://www.fox-guitars.com/catalog/mandolin-pickguards
    Last edited by NickR; Sep-02-2018 at 1:33pm.

Teacher, repair person

Found another in the classifieds. Listed under "Mando Parts." Includes the clamp. NFI

By the way, if your mando was made in 1921, it would have originally had the cam-style clamp similar to the ones in the classifieds.

I see there was a pickguard off a circa 1920 Gibson that went for a mere $50 in late July on ebay- the seller said the mandolin was from 1918. It did not have the original bracket. I saw a late 1930s Gibson bound mandolin pickguard that went for quite a low price not so long ago. I did not buy it as I did not need it but I recently won a 1936/37 Wards model 1642 mandolin- a carved top Gibson and the guard on that has a big rotted hole in it. The guard I did not buy would have been exactly right for it! That's the way it goes- you never know! My suggestion is to play with care until you get what you want- be it a repro or hold out for an original which will come along but may be expensive.

Thanks for the leads!