Thread: Practice at the office

Default Practice at the office

During the summer I enjoy taking my mando to work and going to a nearby park to practice on my lunch break. As cold weather approaches, does any one have suggestions on how to practice in an office building while being unheard? I tried seeing if there were any basement rooms that would be soundproof with no luck. I'm considering buying a solid body electric style that I assume would be unheard if I closed my office door. I even thought about buying a cheap mandolin and cutting a hole in the back and stuffing it with fabric to reduce noise. I'd primarily use this time to learning tunes by ear vs. practicing technique. Any suggestions? Anyone else do this? Thanks!

===========

Default Re: Practice at the office

Given the circumstances you outlined above, it seems to me that an electric solid body mandolin is probably your best bet. You should be able to find one with decent action and 2nd rate electronics at a reasonably affordable price . . . which should be fine since you won't be plugging in the instrument to play it.

Another option is to talk to the building manager. Explain your situation to him and ask if there is an empty suite available that you can use. I have taken this approach in the building where I work, and I have had free rehearsal space (in several different locations throughout the building) for 21 years.

Good luck.

Rebrand it as a “recital” rather than practice and charge your co-workers $5 to listen.

I work from home but the only member of my household willing to listen to me is the dog...

4. The following members say thank you to OneChordTrick for this post:

Mediocre but OK with that Paul Busman's Avatar

Does your building have concrete/cinderblock stairwells, eg like in a hospital or big office building? The sound in there is terrific, but shouldn't disturb anyone else.

I have a solid body electric that I may consider selling.
    For wooden musical fun that doesn't involve strumming, check out:
    www.busmanwhistles.com
    Handcrafted pennywhistles in exotic hardwoods.

Quote Originally Posted by OneChordTrick View Post
    I work from home but the only member of my household willing to listen to me is the dog...
    Kudos to your dog. I have yet to find a living creature that doesn't run from the room screaming in terror when I play.
    We are the music makers,
    And we are the dreamers of dreams

7. The following members say thank you to Roger Moss for this post:

Possibly an inexpensive oval hole and you could stuff a t shirt through the oval hole??

Solid-body electric is definitely the way to go. I have a Goldtone electric mandolin that I've plugged into an amp maybe five times total. It now resides in my office, and is solely for near-silent practice. No neighbors have ever complained.

My electric is a four-string. I wish I had gotten an eight-string, but I don't use it to practice technique--I just use it to work on the fingerings for fiddle tunes.

If feasible you can sit in your car. Comes with built in heating and air conditioning for year round comfort, no other instruments needed and you can play as loudly as you want.
    John Liestman -
    Eye new ewe wood lye kit!

Blog Entries

Happiness is a solidbody emando, a Vox 30 headphone amp, and a pair of earbuds.

Daniel