Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Case covers

Default Re: Case covers

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Egerton View Post
    I've had a Colorado Case cover on my Calton for years. With the limited internal storage room, it is very nice to have the pocket on the outside of the cover. I also like the idea of the extra insulation from temperature change.

Such a pet peeve of mine on here that somebody will ask a very reasonable question, "Where can I get a X?" and they are answered by everyone telling them why "X" is not needed. Picks, case covers, capos, tabs, whatever.

To the OP, I'm sorry I don't have an actual answer, because I would like to know as well in case I ever need another cover.
    Completely agree with the usefulness of the outside pocket and extra insulation properties. Also, having backpack straps on my case cover is another plus for my frequent plane travel. It’s definitely not an accessory or a fashion statement for my purposes.

I did have an actual answer for the OP. I also gave examples of using a viola case (with manufacturer name listed) and even offered to let the OP borrow one to try it. Appears we live relatively close to one another and was offering to help him out. I also offered an alternative idea of how/where to get an actual mandolin case cover. Jeff Hoffee seems to be great about working with and supporting working musicians from what I’ve heard.

Never saw any type of reply or thanks from the OP though. If I asked a question and was offered help, I’d at least acknowledge I read the responses people took the time to write. Am I off expecting some quick response, even a simple “thanks”?

Thanks.
    Chris
    “Without music, life would be a mistake” Neitzsche

Collings MF5-V
    Kimble A5
    An electric rig with an envelope filter trying to sound like Jerry...

2. The following members say thank you to MissingString for this post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by EdHanrahan View Post
    I second the second.

And it eases airline carry-on; one glance and ya don't even have to explain that it's a musical instrument.
    Though a perceptive person, seeing someone built like me carrying a tennis racket carry case, is going figure something's up.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

4. The following members say thank you to JeffD for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Pittsburgh Bill View Post
    I recall wishing a few times that I had one when I had to walk across a large parking lot for a half mile in pouring rain.
    I have a couple fiberglass cases , their rubber gasket edges keep out rain water.

Decades ago, I got a drybag-backpack from REI, probably made for them by Seattle Sports,

when/where I bought it, I was able to try out test fitting an original hard case on my 1922 A,

it fit, top rolled closed, so I paid for it, and brought it home..

writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

I used to be in the wholesale food business and had to keep food cold in my trunk. I used a freezer blanket, much like the padded moving blankets used to protect furniture in moving trucks, but the material padding was more thermal barrier. Anyway. it is still in my car and if I were ever to get stranded I could fashion a sleeping bag. Whenever I transport an instrument in summer, I wrap the blanket around it. Very effective if you want to insulate any instruments from the elements. Protecting a case from bumps and bruises is one thing, unimportant to me, but protecting an instrument from thermal issues is.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

7. The following members say thank you to Br1ck for this post:

Folks, I feel proud to have sparked such heated discussion on the Mandolin Cafe. It's been super interesting to hear all the responses. I recently heard from a pal that Calton actually bought CO Case Company, and so they'll be making case covers in the near future. Personally, I'll probably hold off on getting something until they come out with something, or until I start biking w/mandolin in 25 degree (fahrenheit) weather...