Thread: Mario Cassella Piccolo Mandolin

Default Mario Cassella Piccolo Mandolin

Hi all,
    While I have browsed this excellent forum for some time I have never actually posted until now.
    Having been a guitar player for years I was interested to try learning mandolin, and loving the look and style of older flatbacks I picked up what I thought was a nice Mario Casella on ebay for next to nothing with the intention of fixing it up with a little work and keeping it as a player.
    I didn't check the dimensions when I bought it (obviously), so when it turned up I was astounded at the tiny size. The scale length is 10 1/2'.
    Apart from that, it has a couple of old repairs; the tuners are sadly mismatched and there are a couple of little splits on the back seams that have been poorly filled in the past and probably warrants taking the back off and reattaching.
    The thing is, I never knew that Mario Casella produced piccolo mandolins! Anyone else come across these? Am I right in saying that this is a piccolo rather than some form of pocket mandolin?
    Now I'm not the type who goes on a forum for the first time and says "how much is this worth", because I think that that's a bit of an insult to the incredible amount of knowledge and experience showcased here. Therefore, all I'll ask is if items like this are actually of interest to collectors as curiosities?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20180830_113313054.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	2.42 MB 
ID:	170607 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20180830_113306432.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	2.96 MB 
ID:	170608Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20180830_113320808.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	666.9 KB 
ID:	170609Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20180830_113329965.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	3.12 MB 
ID:	170610

2. The following members say thank you to tree-doctor for this post:

Default Re: Mario Cassella Piccolo Mandolin

Yes, I think you do have a piccolo there. With that scale length and light strings, CGDA tuning should be just the thing.

I recently had a piccolo built by Mike Black and ever since it arrived, I can't put it down. I find it a lot of fun to play and although it is a very different instrument than yours (mine is an A4 style with Verzi) you might find yours to be just as much fun.

Unlike a lot of pocket mandolins tuned GDAE, the piccolo's scale length and body size are right for this higher tuning. Mine really sounds wonderful and I hope yours will as well.

I suspect that there is not a lot of interest in one like yours among collectors, but one never knows. All it takes is one motivated buyer. But really, I don't think you have a high-dollar instrument there. Let's see what the others here have to say.

If I were you, I'd fix it up and give it a go. You might find you like playing yours as much as I like playing mine. I am having so much fun with mine that I don't know why these are not a common item among us of the mandolin clan. I am spending more time with mine than I am spending with my regular mandolin, and people love it wherever I take it, players and listeners alike.

Best wishes,

Bob
    Purr more, hiss less. Barn Cat Mandolins Photo Album

Thanks for the reply!
    That's very encouraging, I think I'll definitely do it up and have a play. The funny thing I was thinking is that years of playing guitar have made me lazy when it comes to reading music, so this will hopefully encourage me to get back into sight reading rather than than relying on tablature.
    When it comes to strings, are there special strings that need to to be bought for it as a piccolo?

When I return home this evening, I will let you know what is on mine (I don't remember off the top of my head). It has an 11 inch scale length, so yours should be similar. You may want to go a bit lighter though, just to be safe.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Clark View Post
    When I return home this evening, I will let you know what is on mine (I don't remember off the top of my head). It has an 11 inch scale length, so yours should be similar. You may want to go a bit lighter though, just to be safe.
    That would be much appreciated, many thanks again.

Mine has D'Addario EJ73 strings. Gauges are 10, 14, 24, 38. I think these might be too heavy for yours. I'd go with something even lighter. Have a look at Just For Strings or another Cafe sponsor to check out lighter gauges. You want to be sure not to harm your instrument with too-heavy strings.

It looks as if you have quite a bit of work to do before you get to that point, though. I'd have a good look at the neck join first, to make sure it is sound. Post pictures of it if you want others to weigh in. I'd also look inside with a dentist mirror to check out the braces. Also use a straight edge to check the neck.

Does it have a tailpiece on it? I can't tell from the pictures. If not, you can pick up one for not much money.

Is the bridge stuck on? It should only be held on by the pressure of the strings. The saddle looks like it might need some work, and I can't see the nut to know how good it is.

Also, how easily do the tuners turn? Might want to clean them up a bit before stringing up.

If you already know all this; sorry. If you don't know all this, please don't think I am being negative about your instrument. If it were mine, I'd check it out to make sure it is sound, then work on getting it ready for strings. Don't know how it will sound, but I think you will have fun finding out. I think it is a cool instrument. I love my piccolo. In fact, I'm signing off to play it right now!

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

Pretty sweet book-matched rosewood back....

IIRC our friend, Jim Garber, also has a proper piccolo mandolin from the "Leland" series that Vega made for Lyon and Healy. Maybe he will see this and stop by and talk string sizes.

FWIW, as a standard bit of fettling on my old bowlbacks and flatbacks, I've been taking a hint from a detail that both CF Martin and L Embergher used on their mandolins. They added a thin flat plate of spruce to reinforce the mandolin top between the soundhole and the neck block.

This is an area that on these thinner top mandolins sometimes gives way under extended string tension on the neck causing the neck to rotate upwards. I've seen this on many an Italian bowlback and on some of the "pocket" mandolins that show up.

The Chicago builders attempted to compensate for this issue by beefing up the top thickness and the neck profile. They tend to be sturdier instruments but lack some of that "shimmering sound" -- how Martin Jonas so wonderfully describes Italian mandolins.

That little extra stiffening plate is an easy alteration. Good enough for Martin and Embergher, makes me wonder why it wasn't more common.

Mick
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road
    '06 Bialetti expresso maker
    '14 Irish Linen Ramon Puig

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Clark View Post
    Mine has D'Addario EJ73 strings. Gauges are 10, 14, 24, 38. I think these might be too heavy for yours. I'd go with something even lighter. Have a look at Just For Strings or another Cafe sponsor to check out lighter gauges. You want to be sure not to harm your instrument with too-heavy strings.

It looks as if you have quite a bit of work to do before you get to that point, though. I'd have a good look at the neck join first, to make sure it is sound. Post pictures of it if you want others to weigh in. I'd also look inside with a dentist mirror to check out the braces. Also use a straight edge to check the neck.

Does it have a tailpiece on it? I can't tell from the pictures. If not, you can pick up one for not much money.

Is the bridge stuck on? It should only be held on by the pressure of the strings. The saddle looks like it might need some work, and I can't see the nut to know how good it is.

Also, how easily do the tuners turn? Might want to clean them up a bit before stringing up.

If you already know all this; sorry. If you don't know all this, please don't think I am being negative about your instrument. If it were mine, I'd check it out to make sure it is sound, then work on getting it ready for strings. Don't know how it will sound, but I think you will have fun finding out. I think it is a cool instrument. I love my piccolo. In fact, I'm signing off to play it right now!
    Thanks for the string advice! The instrument actually came strung, although the strings were loosened right off (thank god!). I'm not sure how long it's been sitting strung; probably quite a while judging by the rust on the strings.

The neck looks and feels solid, I've put up a couple of photos if anyone wants to offer an opinion. Checking with a ruler shows that the fretboard actually inclines backwards very slightly, which I assume is standard as with guitars and ukes and so on?

Tail piece is present, although the strings have rubbed on the body a bit which I may want to remedy. Makes me think the tailpiece may be a replacement.

Tuners are a little stiff and dirty (mismatched as well... ), but turn fine, so no worries there.

The bridge is well and truly stuck I'm afraid.

As regards the internals, the old repairs to the seams really warrant me carefully removing the back, so I imagine I can inspect the braces as I do that.

I'm always open to advice, you're absolutely not being negative. Always better to listen carefully and do things properly rather than be too proud to listen and muck up a potentially beautiful old instrument.

Thanks again!

Name:	IMG_20180831_103912361.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	2.18 MB 
ID:	170659

Name:	IMG_20180831_103751524.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	2.09 MB 
ID:	170660

Name:	IMG_20180831_103739631.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	1.99 MB 
ID:	170661

Quote Originally Posted by brunello97 View Post
    Pretty sweet book-matched rosewood back....

IIRC our friend, Jim Garber, also has a proper piccolo mandolin from the "Leland" series that Vega made for Lyon and Healy. Maybe he will see this and stop by and talk string sizes.

FWIW, as a standard bit of fettling on my old bowlbacks and flatbacks, I've been taking a hint from a detail that both CF Martin and L Embergher used on their mandolins. They added a thin flat plate of spruce to reinforce the mandolin top between the soundhole and the neck block.

This is an area that on these thinner top mandolins sometimes gives way under extended string tension on the neck causing the neck to rotate upwards. I've seen this on many an Italian bowlback and on some of the "pocket" mandolins that show up.

The Chicago builders attempted to compensate for this issue by beefing up the top thickness and the neck profile. They tend to be sturdier instruments but lack some of that "shimmering sound" -- how Martin Jonas so wonderfully describes Italian mandolins.

That little extra stiffening plate is an easy alteration. Good enough for Martin and Embergher, makes me wonder why it wasn't more common.

Mick
    Thank you!

When I have the back off I'll certainly look into a little extra support between the sound hole and the neck block to avoid any "implosions"....

Yes, I have a Leland piccolo. I don't recall what strings I have on it but if you have a set on yours you can measure the gauges as a starting point. Considering the scale of the piccolo tuned to a fourth up would be the same as a standard mandolin capoed on the fifth fret you should be able to figure out the proper gauges that way. It sounds like the Black piccolo has a light gauge set so I would start from there and see how it works.

Here are my two Leland Brilliantone mandolins:

Name:	leland_picc_std.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	240.6 KB 
ID:	170665
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

12. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by tree-doctor View Post
    ... Checking with a ruler shows that the fretboard actually inclines backwards very slightly, which I assume is standard as with guitars and ukes and so on?...
    Not really. There should be a bit of a forward curve or angle, what's called "neck relief," allowing the strings to be fretted without striking the next higher frets.

You may get the required relief when you bring strings up to tension, once the instrument's repaired and the proper bridge height and location adjusted. You may want to get that "well and truly stuck" bridge un-stuck, or have a luthier do it, since it's hard to adjust set-up with an immovable and non-height-adjustable bridge.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

14. The following members say thank you to allenhopkins for this post: