Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best case

Default Best case

Hello All,

I am looking for a new case for my Gilchrist model 3. I want to spend some money
    Who is making the best cases at the moment? Hoffee? Pegasus??

I want something light and strong, and I never want to buy the mandolin another case, so I want it to be made to last. I wont be doing much flying with it; it's a walk around case.

Thanks!
    Last edited by mjh; Aug-30-2018 at 12:56am.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Best case

"Best" is subjective... I like the Pegasus, but the Hoffee is excellent too. The Peg is easy to hand carry due to the curves and profiling... and it has excellent storage and headstock protection. Both great cases.
    Gibson F5 'Harvey' Fern, Gibson F5 'Derrington' Fern
    Distressed Silverangel F 'Esmerelda' aka 'Maxx'
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288
    '39 & '45 D-18's, 1950 D-28.

I know of one Cafe member who uses a Travelite case for his own Gilchrist . I also know of one very well known player,Mike Marshall,who carries his Lloyd Loar mandolin in a Travelite case. For everyday usage,lightness, & all round protection,they're hard to beat. I've used one to carry my mandolins around for 9 years ,& neither the case or the mandolins have come to any harm. It's my 'go to' case for taking any of my 3 mandolins outside my home. Don't discount them because of their relatively low cost,
    Ivan
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Travelite case 2.JPG 
Views:	122 
Size:	104.4 KB 
ID:	170605Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Travelite case 1.JPG 
Views:	121 
Size:	163.6 KB 
ID:	170606
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ivan Kelsall For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mjh View Post
    Hello All,

I am looking for a new case for my Gilchrist model 3. I want to spend some money
    Who is making the best cases at the moment? Hoffee? Pegasus??

I want something light and strong, and I never want to buy the mandolin another case, so I want it to be made to last. I wont be doing much flying with it; it's a walk around case.

Thanks!
    Good luck in your hunt. Cases are very subjective of course. Here's our take on the still reasonably new Collings vintage cases. Speaking only for myself, my hunt for the ultimate case for our needs and desires is over.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mandolin Cafe For This Useful Post:

I would think that if you are a traveling musician you would want the best protection for your instrument. But most of us non-traveling musicians could get by with cases such as a Travelite which I do. In my opinion a Travelite is a good case--- for my usage !

...I want something light and strong..
    And there is the rub. I can stand on my Calton with the mandolin in it but it's not light. You wouldn't want to stand on a Travelite with your mandolin in it and it is light.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

Quote Originally Posted by MikeEdgerton View Post
    And there is the rub. I can stand on my Calton with the mandolin in it but it's not light. You wouldn't want to stand on a Travelite with your mandolin in it and it is light.
    If you need a ladder get a ladder !

Quote Originally Posted by Mandolin Cafe View Post
    Good luck in your hunt. Cases are very subjective of course. Here's our take on the still reasonably new Collings vintage cases. Speaking only for myself, my hunt for the ultimate case for our needs and desires is over.
    Agreed. I have an A model case and love it.
    Russ Jordan

11. The following members say thank you to Russ Jordan for this post:

Blog Entries

Who is making the best cases at the moment?
    Calton, Hoffee, Pegasus all excellent. The Collings Vintage Case is one that you will admire every time you open it. I've had more pickers comment on mine than my other nice cases put together. Well made with classic looks.

13. The following members say thank you to Mark Wilson for this post:

If you need bombproof and heavy, get a Price. May induce elbow tendinitis
    2007 Weber Custom Elite "old wood"
    2017 Ratliff R5 Custom #1148
    Several nice old Fiddles
    2007 Martin 000-15S 12 fret Auditorium-slot head
    Deering Classic Open Back
    Too many microphones

BridgerCreekBoys.com

15. The following members say thank you to MontanaMatt for this post:

I am a fan of the Crossrock fiberglass case
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0759P1QS8
    Strong and well built. Lighter than the Calton cases.
    Comes in Black, Silver, Blue, Red, White, Yellow

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

I'd go with the Collings. But, I'd want a Small-Dog and they are unobtainable.

That would be perfect in my opinion!

f-d
    ¡papá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

Hoffee, Calton, Pegasus are all great, durable cases, and suitable for traveling in my opinion. But they differ in certain characteristics. The Collings case may be equally suitable too, and the same goes for the new Airloom case from Northfield, too, but I have no direct experience with those. I am definitely not in the camp that would consider a Travelite case for air travel, because every so often these days, you won't be permitted to place your mandolin in the overhead storage (where a Travelite case is just fine), and it goes instead into the luggage hold (where a Travelite is definitely NOT fine)!!

Choosing among Hoffee, Pegasus, Calton, Collings, Northfield, etc. comes down to which of many characteristics you prize the most. No one can make this decision but you. Thermal protection (Hoffee/Thinsulate definitely has the edge there)? Minimal volume (Pegasus, Collings)? Sleek looks (Northfield, Pegasus)? The classic look (Collings)? Excellent storage space (Hoffee)? Weight (prob. not Calton)? Latch protection and bulletproofing (Calton)? Availability of a case cover? Overall cost? Carrying strap? Availability of D-rings to attach backpack straps? Best protection for headstock? Best waterproofing for rain and snow? The list goes on and on -- these are just a few of the attributes.

I would recommend that you rank-order the characteristics you like most, to prioritize these. Then, look more closely at what these cases offer.

Do you travel a lot? Mostly by air or by ground? Do you go to hot festivals or live in a warm climate? Do you live in a rainy or snowy climate? Do you tend to carry your mandolin for long distances? Do you often try to fit it into tight spaces? What specific kinds of brutality do you expect the case to suffer?

When you have clarified your own answers to these questions, the best choices available to you should become clearer. Like so many things in life, it all depends on the details. In my opinion, there is no single best case for all scenarios. But there might well be a best case for you and your Gilchrist.

19. The following members say thank you to sblock for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_al View Post
    I am a fan of the Crossrock fiberglass case
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0759P1QS8
    Strong and well built. Lighter than the Calton cases.
    Comes in Black, Silver, Blue, Red, White, Yellow
    I also looked at those, but the body width is 10.5" and my mandolin is 9 3/4" so it would flop around. My Calton fits it perfectly. I would like to get a good fit, but lighter.

What is the body width of the Collings?
    Last edited by pops1; Aug-30-2018 at 12:56pm.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

I also have a Collings vintage. I love it.

Quote Originally Posted by sblock View Post
    Choosing among Hoffee, Pegasus, Calton, Collings, Northfield, etc. comes down to which of many characteristics you prize the most. No one can make this decision but you. Thermal protection (Hoffee/Thinsulate definitely has the edge there)? Minimal volume (Pegasus, Collings)? Sleek looks (Northfield, Pegasus)? The classic look (Collings)? Excellent storage space (Hoffee)? Weight (prob. not Calton)? Latch protection and bulletproofing (Calton)? Availability of a case cover? Overall cost? Carrying strap? Availability of D-rings to attach backpack straps? Best protection for headstock? Best waterproofing for rain and snow? The list goes on and on -- these are just a few of the attributes.
    We're certainly spoiled for choices among the top-tier brands. I'd add one more consideration, when you're spending this much on a case. Only a couple of those cases (Pegasus and Calton, I think?) offer customized exterior and lining colors, which is a great way to individualize your case. Makes it easy to locate among a pile of black cases at a workshop or jam, and lighter colors are better if your case is ever exposed to direct sunlight outdoors.

This is my Pegasus, with an ivory exterior for easy ID and sun-avoidance. The Black Watch tartan lining is loosely related to the family that built the Victorian house we live in. It's fun making custom choices like that for a case:

Name:	Pegasus-open-with-mando.jpg 
Views:	167 
Size:	177.5 KB 
ID:	170627

I owned several Caltons (UK & CAN) and still have a light weight, inexpensive CF-Musiccompo (http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/sh...ic-Compo-Cases)
    but to me the best is the "Price Classic" made by Gary Price: http://www.fiberglasscase.com/mandocases.htm
    The "Price Teardrop" is also great, but a bit bulky and not as well balanced to carry.

You didn't by chance just happen to get that from Carter's did you?

As to your question, I'd stick with Calton, Hoffee, or Pegasus. Any of those will protect your new treasure.

I have had Caltons, and both Pegasus A and F cases. I did not like the Pegasus F, but the Pegasus A is my all-time favorite case (smaller and lighter than either Calton or Pegasus F...or Hoffee and others). A Gil Model 3 fits just fine in a Pegasus A case. Might be hard to find a Peg A case.

Thanks all for the ideas. I have a Kingham case for one of my mandolins, which I like.
    Any idea how it compares to Calton, Pegasus and Hoffee in terms of build quality? I like the Kingham latches.

I should add that it would be very handy to have a space for some spare strings, which might rule out the Collings, though it does look good.
    Last edited by mjh; Aug-30-2018 at 6:57pm.

Quote Originally Posted by pops1 View Post
    I also looked at those, but the body width is 10.5" and my mandolin is 9 3/4" so it would flop around. My Calton fits it perfectly. I would like to get a good fit, but lighter.

What is the body width of the Collings?
    It has foam blocks at the tailpiece and neck that hold it in place without putting pressure on the bridge. It also has a loose rectangular foam block that you can put beside your instrument or at the strap button to take up any extra room. My mandolin is about the same size as yours, and it does not move inside the case.

28. The following members say thank you to colorado_al for this post:

pops1 

You can have a Pegasus case made that will fit both A + F models ...
    ye never know ...you might want Steve to build you an F model sometime.
    you can also have D rings added for backpack or messenger style carry..
    Sam at Pegasus is real easy to deal with..NFI

Blog Entries

Thanks all for the ideas. I have a Kingham case for one of my mandolins, which I like.
    Any idea how it compares to Calton, Pegasus and Hoffee in terms of build quality? I like the Kingham latches.

I should add that it would be very handy to have a space for some spare strings, which might rule out the Collings, though it does look good.
    The Kingham cases are plywood based - essentially the same level as TKL and many others. I had a guitar arrive in one, once. I was quite shocked when I found out how much it had cost, because to me, it was very little different from any other decent grade plywood guitar case (but roughly 4X the price). Anyway.... would say that if protection is your criteria then Pegasus, Hoffee and Calton are far ahead. These cases are seriously tough and very well padded. I like the extra space around the headstock on the Pegs... but I also have a Calton (three, actually, two for guitar and one for mandolin) and they offer excellent crush protection. No case is 100% guaranteed in all circumstances. It depends on the kind of trauma... dropping, crushing, sharp object penetration, floods? It all depends, so it comes down to making compromises on weight/bulk, your intended use (around town, carefully, or tossing into the back of a truck with heavy PA gear?), and - to an extent - luck!

Note: You can fit a spare set of strings, plus cutters, in the storage area under the headstock in a Peg. Tuner and picks go under the neck in the compartment there.

Name:	pegasushead.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	205.3 KB 
ID:	170656
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288

From Mike E. - " You wouldn't want to stand on a Travelite with your mandolin in it and it is light. " Michael !!! - Why would you want to stand on ANY case ??.

Obviously i understand you point,but unless 'case squatting' becomes the fashion,then 'good enough' is exactly that. I have to say that the Hiscox ''standing on a case'' advert didn't do much to protect Cafe member Peter Jenner's Hiscox from having a chunk knocked out of it - that sort of damage is almost impossible on a Travelite case. One Cafe member had his Trav. case come off his motor cycle complete with mandolin, whilst 'riding at speed' - the case & mandolin were both undamaged.

For normal everyday use,which i suspect for most pickers,is 95% of the time at least,a Travelite will offer as much all round protection as any case. If you're going to subject a case to any 'extremes',then a hard shell case 'might' be better - but even one of those can be damaged easily enough under the right circumstances. The very first Calton case i ever saw,the banjo case belonging to an old friend of mine,had a large chunk of it glued back in & more than a few scratches. My 9+ year old Travelite still looks untouched.

Almeria - The very best rect. 'wooden' cases, were the TKL ''American Vintage'' cases that First Quality Music used to have made for them. They have additional wooden plies on top to reinforce it. My Lebeda is housed in the one that i bought 12 years ago. I've never stood on it, (even if the top won't crush,i don't want to damage the hinges if the top slides sideways),but i have pressed down on the top with most of my 220 lb weight,& it doesn't budge - however,the strength does come with a weight penalty,but it's not too bad.

I just had a look at the TKL website,& they don't appear to make rect. cases any more. I found this one quite interesting - an Aluminium outer-shelled 'Vectra' case. It seems as though the 'Vectra' design has replaced the rect. style case - bottom of page 1 & on page 2 :- https://tkl.com/en/catalog/node/fret...ments-mandolin,
    Ivan

Name:	Peter Jenner's shatterd Hiscox.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	82.7 KB 
ID:	170657 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TKL Vectra Mandolin Case.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	234.6 KB 
ID:	170658
    Last edited by Ivan Kelsall; Aug-31-2018 at 1:18am.
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

32. The following members say thank you to Ivan Kelsall for this post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Kelsall View Post
    Almeria - The very best rect. 'wooden' cases, were the TKL ''American Vintage'' cases that First Quality Music used to have made for them. They have additional wooden plies on top to reinforce it. My Lebeda is housed in the one that i bought 12 years ago. I've never stood on it, (even if the top won't crush,i don't want to damage the hinges if the top slides sideways),but i have pressed down on the top with most of my 220 lb weight,& it doesn't budge - however,the strength does come with a weight penalty,but it's not too bad.
    Indeed... but the Kingham guitar case cost £650 ($850), apparently!
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288